Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

21 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Berminum - FFS learn how to pronounce our city’s name you illiterate BBC clearing in the woods…

Usually people from what I like to pronounce as Lindeern

• Haha 1

I guess for this thread overachieve and overperform existing are right. My view is that there are goals and expectations. You exceed them, and then you have overachieved and overperformed.

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I guess for this thread overachieve and overperform existing are right. My view is that there are goals and expectations. You exceed them, and then you have overachieved and overperformed.

Exactly. It's in reference to a baseline.

Just as if you've got a budget of 500k and you spend 700k, you're "overspent" by 200k.

By Bick's logic you haven't overspent. You've spent. Which is true, but gives you no comparison to any baseline.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. The "over" or "under" refers to a baseline or an expectation

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well I use it in football terms to refer to statistics.

A striker who is overperforming is converting more chances than he should be according to his statistics. His xG might be 4 goals but he's actually scored 8. He's overperforming vs his stats.

He is achieving more than is expected, he is not over performing

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. It's in reference to a baseline.

Just as if you've got a budget of 500k and you spend 700k, you're "overspent" by 200k.

By Bick's logic you haven't overspent. You've spent. Which is true, but gives you no comparison to any baseline.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. The "over" or "under" refers to a baseline or an expectation

You've spent over your budget, you've spent more than you intended etc. It's just lazy use of language and isn't logical

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

You've spent over your budget, you've spent more than you intended etc. It's just lazy use of language and isn't logical

So you can’t oversleep, or overextend, or overact, or overreact, or overburden, or oversupply, or overorder, or overeat, or overregulate, or overpopulate, or overprescribe, or oversimplify, or overmedicate, or overengineer, or overestimate?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

So you can’t oversleep, or overextend, or overact, or overreact, or overburden, or oversupply, or overorder, or overeat, or overregulate, or overpopulate, or overprescribe, or oversimplify, or overmedicate, or overengineer, or overestimate?

Yes, you can. All those things. 

But I'm with Bicks on this. You can't achieve more than you achieve. What you can do is exceed expectations. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, you can. All over those things. 

But I'm with Bicks on this. You can't achieve more than you achieve. What you can do is exceed expectations. 

I understand what you mean here... but then you also can't react more than you react.  You can't supply more than you supply.  You can't prescribe more than you prescribe and so on.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, you can. All over those things. 

You can't sleep more than you sleep. Or extend more than you extend. Or act more than you act, os spend more than you spend, or burden more than you burden etc etc

The logic is exactly the same.

Overachieve refers to expectations. "exceed expectations" is just a synonym for overachieve

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

You can't sleep more than you sleep. Or extend more than you extend. Or act more than you act, os spend more than you spend, or burden more than you burden etc etc

The logic is exactly the same.

Overachieve refers to expectations. "exceed expectations" is just a synonym for overachieve

So bickster is correct, no?

17 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So bickster is correct, no?

No. I’m saying if you can apply that logic to achieving then you can apply it to all of those verbs for which adding “over” before it makes a perfectly acceptable word. 

Nobody is arguing that oversleep isn’t a word. But by bicks and Mike’s logic you can’t sleep more than you sleep so it shouldn’t be a word.

So basically you can’t precede any verb with “over” and make a word. Despite all of these words being in the dictionary

Edited by Stevo985

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No. I’m saying if you can apply that logic to achieving then you can apply it to all of those verbs for which adding “over” before it makes a perfectly acceptable word. 

Nobody is arguing that oversleep isn’t a word. But by bicks and Mike’s logic you can’t sleep more than you sleep so it shouldn’t be a word.

So basically you can’t precede any verb with “over” and make a word. Despite all of these words being in the dictionary

To "overperform" it must be in relation to something and the word for that is outperform

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Man I'm never playing scrabble with any VT members. Could have some serious arguments. 

Not that I ever play scrabble anyway 

There's an official book for Scrabble :D

And guess what...

Overperform.png

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â