Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes quite often we all know what you mean, you never actually say what we think you mean but we know

That could be seen as abuse online. As you don't actually know me, but are making me out to be someone I'm not.

I like a debate, does not mean I'm a left wing Nazi.

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

That could be seen as abuse online. As you don't actually know me, but are making me out to be someone I'm not.

I like a debate, does not mean I'm a left wing Nazi.

I often wonder if you know what the words you actually use mean

Abuse being a case in point here

Definition of abuse

(Entry 1 of 2)

1 : a corrupt practice or custom the buying of votes and other election abuses

2 : improper or excessive use or treatment : misuse drug abuse

3 : language that condemns or vilifies usually unjustly, intemperately, and angrily verbal abuse a term of abuse

4 : physical maltreatment child abuse sexual abuse

5 obsolete : a deceitful act : deception

Merriam-Webster

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not hung up on it at all, although it was a really poor example of sexism.

I asked one question and again it has not been answered.

Okay, to answer your question. Women are much more likely to be victims of rape and sexual assault.

For the year ending March 2020, the Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) estimated that 3.8% of adults aged 16 to 74 years (1.6 million) had experienced sexual assault by rape or penetration (including attempts) since the age of 16 years (7.1% for women and 0.5% for men

From https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/natureofsexualassaultbyrapeorpenetrationenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2020

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It would be easier to knock down the wall, or at least paint it every time some writes hate on it. There's always gonna be hate.

The best campaign would be to change peoples mindset on social media of not taking the hate serious. Most of it's bots, ****s, kids, just people who have nothing better to do and people worry about this?

Great idea, lets start a campaign to eradicate sexism on social media, …, no one cares.

Knocking down the wall or painting it requires you to demolish or paint your house wall. You didn’t write the nasty graffiti. Better to persuade the local hoodlums to stop, surely? 

And people do care. People have been driven to depression and suicide in the worst cases. You might not care, though judging by some of your responses to people replying to your posts on here, you are like most people and don’t feel comfortable when multiple others disagree with you, so I imagine that if you were subjected to nasty abuse or discriminatory posts you’d care then.

I agree with you that social media ought to be much better controlled and that people would be wise to ignore abuse, but I’m sure you can see that stopping trolls, bots and idiots is something that is a good thing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Try posting the things you do on a less well moderated site if you'd like to see some proper ridicule.

I think I need to try a less far left site, if people are linking rape with sexism, there has never been proof of any real casual link.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think I need to try a less far left site, if people are linking rape with sexism, there has never been proof of any real casual link.

You don’t have to be very left to see sexism as an issue

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Knocking down the wall or painting it requires you to demolish or paint your house wall. You didn’t write the nasty graffiti. Better to persuade the local hoodlums to stop, surely? 

And people do care. People have been driven to depression and suicide in the worst cases. You might not care, though judging by some of your responses to people replying to your posts on here, you are like most people and don’t feel comfortable when multiple others disagree with you, so I imagine that if you were subjected to nasty abuse or discriminatory posts you’d care then.

I agree with you that social media ought to be much better controlled and that people would be wise to ignore abuse, but I’m sure you can see that stopping trolls, bots and idiots is something that is a good thing?

At last a sensible post.

I agree people do care about social media abuse, which is why I suggested, it may be best to educate on this rather than individual campaigns of hate. People need to be educated on how to handle unreal social media abuse, where it comes from, who is posting this abuse etc.

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Where on earth did you get the idea that there are non-sexist rapists from?

And I'm fairly sure you meant causal not casual

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Afternoon @Stevo985 😆

Is sexism a issue though, or is it like alot of other forms of hate, social media allowing it to be? 

It’s both. It’s an issue, but one that is amplified on social media

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I agree people do care about social media abuse, which is why I suggested, it may be best to educate on this rather than individual campaigns of hate. People need to be educated on how to handle unreal social media abuse, where it comes from, who is posting this abuse etc.

We can do both can’t we? Help the people being abused AND work to stop them being abused again?

And that’s what’s happening and the little campaign that you mentioned is a small part of it. Not every little thing will necessarily be effective and it’s fine to post an opinion on how good or bad someone thinks a little film is, but it’s a shame if people take the approach of “pah, it’s bots and teenagers, ignore it, and there’s no point trying to stop it, no one cares”

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â