Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Can't say I've had the pleasure of reading slash fiction...

If anyone fancies a fun read, I recommend the worst fan fiction ever.

I got a page and a half in before I stopped.

I'm guessing that's further than most people get.

I hope for the sake of the writer that that was an elaborate wind up.

:crylaugh:

I read more than half of it, it's that hilarious!

It is much ado about nothing though. It's an athletics meet. That's it. It's an athletics meet that costs an absolute fortune and lasts shy of 3 weeks. If you sit down and look at it impartially, it's a franchise that countries are honoured to bankrupt themselves in order to host. There is a mystique attached to those rings but in the cold light of day it's a big white elephant of an athletics meet.

I think you are being unfair, we could just as easily put that same spin on a world cup. The regeneration that has occured in that deprived area of East London which I lived has come about because of the Olympics, and it has already improved the area and created jobs. And there is the leagcy after the actual event also. As well as getting young people into sport and being active. I do agree the costs are alot, but as I say, would you put the same argument if it was a world cup in England, or a joint Euro in Ireland (potentially Euro 2020).?

You don't typically build several new venues to host a football tournament*. You might build one or two and upgrade a few, but that's nowhere near the same cost. Football tournaments tend to be given to countries that can already host them i.e. the stadia are largely already present. Olympics on the other hand are given to countries that can prove that they will be able to host it by completely starting from scratch or damn close to it. They have to prove they can create an infrastructure and all of the venues required. It's a stupidly massive undertaking. But then I think people already know the differences between hosting an olympics and hosting a football tournament.

* Qatar buying the world cup with their oil money is the one ropey FIFA exception to that rule where they will in fact be building from scratch.

South Korea Japan 2002, every single stadium was bulit from scratch. 2006 in Germany they built 5 new stadiums as well as doing major work on Berlin. South Africa they built 6 new stadiums and did major work on others. And for Brazil 2014 they will be building 6. I think it is only France 98 (1) and USA 94(0) where major stadium building was not done.

Berlin Olympiastadion - Built 1934 - renovated for WC

Westfalenstadion - Built 1971 - nothing done for WC

Allianz Arena - Built 2005 with Allianz money - nothing done for WC

Merc-Benz Stuttgart - Built 1933 - nothing done for WC

Veltins Schalke - Built 1998 - nothing done for WC

Volkspark Hamburg - Built 1951 - nothing done for WC

Commerzbank Frankfurt - Built 1925 - renovated for WC

RheinEnergie Cologne - Built 1923 - renovated for WC

AWD Hanover - Built 1954 - temporary DEgrading for WC before being put back afterwards

Red Bull Leipzig - Built 1954 - renovated for WC

Betzenberg Kaiserslautern - Built 1920 - renovated for WC

Frankenstadion Nuremberg - Built 1928 - renovated for WC.

Every single one of them existed beforehand with the exception of the AllianzArena which was happening anyway. A lot of renovations were sponsored and the nature of the costs and the geography is such that each area and each club footed it's own. I also think you don't appreciate that any 'legacy' discussion is largely hypothetical w.r.t. Olympics. With the best will in the world, a government can have little clue as to whether anyone wants to take up a sustainable profitable residence in any or all of the new buildings whereas football stadia have fairly obvious tenants from the word 'go' and as I've shown above, every single stadium in Germany already existed, their clubs obviously already existed and the improvements that were made were going to be fairly obvious benefits to their respective clubs going forward.

I've spent long enough playing silly buggers with someone who is probably just arguing for the sake of it anyway. I'm sure I'll see the Olympics, on the sports section of the news. If I watch the news :)

Can't say I've had the pleasure of reading slash fiction...

If anyone fancies a fun read, I recommend the worst fan fiction ever.

That's absolutely fantastic! :lol:

On a related note, does anyone else get pissed off when people (usually goths and emos) go around calling themselves vampires like they truly believe it?

I hate attention-seekers more than anything in this world.

My favourite part of the Gothic Harry Potter fanfic so far:

AN: STOP FLAMMING DA STORY PREPZ OK! odderwize fangs 2 da goffik ppl 4 da good reveiws! FANGS AGEN RAVEN! oh yeah, BTW I don't own dis or da lyrics 4 Good Chralotte.

On the night of the concert I put on my black lace-up boots with high heels. Underneath them were ripped red fishnets. Then I put on a black leather minidress with all this corset stuff on the back and front. I put on matching fishnet on my arms. I straightened my hair and made it look all spiky. I felt a little depressed then, so I slit one of my wrists. I read a depressing book while I waited for it to stop bleeding and I listened to some GC. I painted my nails black and put on TONS of black eyeliner. Then I put on some black lipstick. I didn't put on foundation because I was pale anyway. I drank some human blood so I was ready to go to the concert.

I went outside. Draco was waiting there in front of his flying car. He was wearing a Simple Plan t-shirt (they would play at the show too), baggy black skater pants, black nail polish and a little eyeliner (AN: A lot fo kewl boiz wer it ok!).

"Hi Draco!" I said in a depressed voice.

"Hi Ebony." he said back. We walked into his flying black Mercedes-Benz (the license plate said 666) and flew to the place with the concert. On the way we listened excitedly to Good Charlotte and Marilyn Manson. We both smoked cigarettes and drugs. When we got there, we both hopped out of the car. We went to the mosh pit at the front of the stage and jumped up and down as we listened to Good Charlotte.

"You come in cold, you're covered in blood They're all so happy you've arrived The doctor cuts your cord, hands you to your mom She sets you free into this life." sang Joel (I don't own da lyrics 2 dat song).

"Joel is so **** hot." I said to Draco, pointing to him as he sung, filling the club with his amazing voice.

Suddenly Draco looked sad.

"What's wrong?" I asked as we moshed to the music. Then I caught on.

"Hey, it's ok I don't like him better than YOU!" I said.

"Really?" asked Draco sensitively and he put his arm around me all protective.

"Really." I said. "Besides I don't even know Joel and he's going out with Hilary **** Duff. I **** hate that little bitch." I said disgustedly, thinking of her ugly blonde face.

The night went on really well, and I had a great time. So did Draco. After the concert, we drank some beer and asked Benji and Joel for their autographs and photos with them. We got GC concert tees. Draco and I crawled back into the Mercedes-Benz, but Draco didn't go back into Hogwarts, instead he drove the car into... the Forbidden Forest!

Is it national "dig up an old thread day" and someone forgot to tell me!? :?

yes. 8)

i think i dug up all those threads, but to be fair i was searching for one specific thread when the search engine brought up these other threads that caught my eye. :oops:

anyway, why does that piss you off?

Is it national "dig up an old thread day" and someone forgot to tell me!? :?

yes. 8)

i think i dug up all those threads, but to be fair i was searching for one specific thread when the search engine brought up these other threads that caught my eye. :oops:

anyway, why does that piss you off?

It doesnt, not sure why i posted it in here. I think it was because i was searching for the General Chat thread and this one caught my eye! :winkold:

If you dig up an old thread, "why are you digging up old threads"

If you start a new topic which has already been done you get BIN DUNNE, with a picture of Dunne in a bin.

You can not win.

This

If you start a new topic which has already been done you get BIN DUNNE, with a picture of Dunne in a bin.

You can not win.

Then don't!

You can not win.

Then don't!

Dont what

If you don't think you can win, put it in General Chat. Then you can ask your questions without the "bindunne" or the "thread-digging". Simple!

You can not win.

BUt, as people (me) have said, we don't mind if you dig up an old thread and actually have somethign to say.

If you dug up an old thread because you'd found an interesting article about it, then fine.

But the majority of the ones being dug up are just one word answers to a poll.

You were hardly going to start a whole new topic because you prefer watching cricket over golf were you?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â