Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Off

8)

Without wishing to be impertinent, could I ask you to be a little more specific as to what it is you mean by **** Off?

Is it that I've trampled on your Olympic Spirit, or are you agreeing with me in an unusual way?

Nah I like the Olympics.

Apologies if I came across as obnoxious, absolutely unintended if so.

It is much ado about nothing though. It's an athletics meet. That's it. It's an athletics meet that costs an absolute fortune and lasts shy of 3 weeks. If you sit down and look at it impartially, it's a franchise that countries are honoured to bankrupt themselves in order to host. There is a mystique attached to those rings but in the cold light of day it's a big white elephant of an athletics meet.

So is football, it's just 22 people kicking a bloody ball.

My entire point which seems to have been missed, was the cost of hosting the thing. I've nothing against athletics. I like athletics. It's the billions that the "Olympics" costs and the 'honour' of hosting it that I laugh at.

Fair enough.

In theory though, hosting a good Olympics could help attract investment to the country with the healthy publicity it brings. (Certainly what I was taught when I spent 2 months in China on a school exchange programme)

In theory though, hosting a good Olympics could help attract investment to the country with the healthy publicity it brings.

In practice it usually doesn't.

fan fiction. by zeus do i hate fan fiction. i hate the fact they steal other peoples ideas, put their own (terrible) spin on it, and feel like they actually did something of merit. i hate the **** who, in turn, give this trash so much attention that publishers feel the need to cash in on it. no publishers of note, mind, but when these talentless **** make money from other peoples hard work, i find it appalling.

It is much ado about nothing though. It's an athletics meet. That's it. It's an athletics meet that costs an absolute fortune and lasts shy of 3 weeks. If you sit down and look at it impartially, it's a franchise that countries are honoured to bankrupt themselves in order to host. There is a mystique attached to those rings but in the cold light of day it's a big white elephant of an athletics meet.

I think you are being unfair, we could just as easily put that same spin on a world cup. The regeneration that has occured in that deprived area of East London which I lived has come about because of the Olympics, and it has already improved the area and created jobs. And there is the leagcy after the actual event also. As well as getting young people into sport and being active. I do agree the costs are alot, but as I say, would you put the same argument if it was a world cup in England, or a joint Euro in Ireland (potentially Euro 2020).?

In theory though, hosting a good Olympics could help attract investment to the country with the healthy publicity it brings.

In practice it usually doesn't.

Cue a "Study on the economic benefits of the Olympics" or something like that.

Regardless, I enjoy watching the Olympics.

fan fiction. by zeus do i hate fan fiction. i hate the fact they steal other peoples ideas, put their own (terrible) spin on it, and feel like they actually did something of merit. i hate the **** who, in turn, give this trash so much attention that publishers feel the need to cash in on it. no publishers of note, mind, but when these talentless **** make money from other peoples hard work, i find it appalling.
Indeed. Ever read any slash fanfic? It's an eyeopener into... something or other.

The rush of old threads getting dragged up for no reason

:nod:

It's 1 particular poster doing it too ... :bonk:

Having said that, a different goon seems to have got in on the act too now.

:bonk: :bonk:

The rush of old threads getting dragged up for no reason

It's 1 particular poster doing it too ... :bonk:

Having said that, a different goon seems to have got in on the act too now.

:bonk: :bonk:

I don't mind threads being dragged up when there's something to add.

For example, BOF bumped the Japan earthquake thread becuase there was an article that was relevant to it which he posted.

But when it's a 4 year old thread and all that happens is they put one word which is their answer to a 4 year old poll, it's pretty pointless.

Can't say I've had the pleasure of reading slash fiction...

If anyone fancies a fun read, I recommend the worst fan fiction ever.

I got a page and a half in before I stopped.

I'm guessing that's further than most people get.

I hope for the sake of the writer that that was an elaborate wind up.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â