Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Huh? This is news to me, I've always said the former (stress on 'street'). It obviously references street preachers. The idea of "Manic Street" being an address never occurred to me. Until now. And now you've got me thinking maybe I'm wrong, and it should have the stress on 'Preachers'... 

No you shouldn't. You're saying it right. But from my experience most people, including me, would say essentially "The Manicstreet PREACHers"

Which makes it sound like they're preachers from Manic Street

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't understand.  I just say Manic Street preachers with no pause, emphasis or anything.  Am I missing a joke or something?

Just say it and listen to yourself. You'll either sound like you're saying they're preachers from Manic Street, or that they are street preachers who are manic.

My assumption is you say it as the former. That's pretty much no emphasis.

To say it correctly you need to emphasise the word "Street"

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Just say it and listen to yourself. You'll either sound like you're saying they're preachers from Manic Street, or that they are street preachers who are manic.

My assumption is you say it as the former. That's pretty much no emphasis.

To say it correctly you need to emphasise the word "Street"

Probably have to agree with @sidcow I don't emphasise any word. I say it as if it is 3 random words together, the same emphasis I would give to subway pool flip. Just 3 words so no emphasis. If asked and I had to emphasise, it would be on street. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

Probably have to agree with @sidcow I don't emphasise any word. I say it as if it is 3 random words together, the same emphasis I would give to subway pool flip. Just 3 words so no emphasis. If asked and I had to emphasise, it would be on street. 

Put it this way, if you were saying "Large Greenfly" you would emphasise green. because it's a GREENfly. You wouldn't say Massive-green fly. Same with Tiny Lady Bird. Or Loud Blue Tit. Or Tall Full Back

It's a FULL back. Not a full BACK

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Put it this way, if you were saying "Large Greenfly" you would emphasise green. because it's a GREENfly. You wouldn't say Massive-green fly. Same with Tiny Lady Bird. Or Loud Blue Tit. Or Tall Full Back

It's a FULL back. Not a full BACK

True. Perhaps it's more of an unconscious emphasis. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Gender reveal parties - when, how and why did that become a thing!?!? 

How dare they assume the baby's gender! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Totally agree other than why the **** are you ever saying subway pool flip?

Artichoke pool flip yes, obviously, but subway pool flip? Madness. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

How dare they assume the baby's gender! ;)

Well it's funny you should mention that because...

Why the mother who started gender-reveal parties regrets them

Jenna Myers Karvunidis was pregnant and itching to throw a party. “Life is hard, but I like to have fun,” she explains. “I think it’s important to mark moments of joy.” Karvunidis (who loves celebrating so much that she baked a cake for her goldfish’s birthday) was determined to get her family “jazzed up” about her first baby. After the recent, much-anticipated birth of her nephew, her husband’s family were less excited about this next grandchild and, with her own family emotionally and physically distant, Karvunidis came up with the then-novel idea of a theatrical reveal of her baby’s sex. [...]

Karvunidis is far from happy about what she unleashed. In late July this year, responding to questions on Twitter about her role in the gender-reveal phenomenon, she confessed to “major mixed feelings” and posted a family photograph featuring Bianca, the world’s first gender-revealed baby, dressed in a suit. Striking a strong pose with her hands in her pockets, Bianca was sporting what conservative media outlets would describe as an “androgynous” haircut.[...]

Guardian

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

Had to stand on the train journey home today. 

Thanks Jacob. Thanks a lot! 🤬

One for the Boring thread I guess...

In a former life I had to go to the Cheltenham Festival as part of a work promotional event thing (a day out for some clients, essentially). We were trying to make a good impression so for a couple of local clients we paid for 1st class seats on the train from New Street. I was lucky enough to get one. However, when getting on the train, which was rammed as you'd expect, we discovered the first class section was about a third of a carriage at the back of the train, and all the seats were gone. So I had to stand in first class, which it turns out is basically the same as standing anywhere else on a shitty rammed train.

Another time, same job, I went to London for a day meeting people from various partner businesses, putting faces to names, etc etc. Inevitably this ended up with us in a pub. After a few drinks I called it a day and jumped in the tube to Euston to get the **** out of there. But I timed it horrendously. The tube I got the back end of the school crowd, and then on the train I got the rush hour crowd. And worse, the train immediately before rush hour I find out had been cancelled. So a really busy train had become an obscenely busy train. I ended up walking the entire length of the train, slightly wobbly, suit on, sweaty from the rammed tube and the booze, looking for all the world the drunk rocket polisher business man making money off nothing of value. Eventually I get to the drivers door, and realise I have to stand to entire trip from London. And even that was made worse by the fact the little open area in front of the drivers door was also completely rammed with people. It was **** horrible. I felt like shit when I finally got off the thing at New Street.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

I'll check that out when I get in, thanks 👍

Just be grateful you missed Windows 8 entirely!  Whatever deviant came up with that OS is hopefully still hanging in chains on the wall in some dungeon at Microsoft.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Just be grateful you missed Windows 8 entirely!  Whatever deviant came up with that OS is hopefully still hanging in chains on the wall in some dungeon at Microsoft.

Windows ME. That was a filthy piece of dog shit. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â