Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

People who make the heart sign with their hands. There's something vaguely insincere about it. 

I think some years back in this thread one of my first things that pissed me off was bales goal celebration and that heart sign. It hasn't changed. 

11 hours ago, Xela said:

The words "collaborate" and "collaboration" in reference to working. Latest buzz words at our place. 

One of my  client last has started  referring to people as “Stakeholders “ … at first I thought maybe they had a vampire infestation and these people were walking around the office like Guillermo ready to save everyone, but nope just seems to be the latest buzz word as I’ve heard other companies starting to use it . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xela said:

The words "collaborate" and "collaboration" in reference to working. Latest buzz words at our place. 

Had these two words at my place for a couple of years but I'd also add to the mix "shine, deliver, outcomes, optics, lead, empower" 

Our HR team is no longer called HR. Its now the "People Team". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stuart_75 said:

'Human Resources' itself was a pointless rebadging of the perfectly adequate 'Personnel'. 

Yeah ours rebranded as People Services a year or two ago

Everyone still calls them HR. Obviously.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah ours rebranded as People Services a year or two ago

Everyone still calls them HR. Obviously.

Ours was called "People Matters" when I joined ten years ago. Then we got a new Head who objected to being the Head of People Matters so it's now HR again. 

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Ours was called "People Matters" when I joined ten years ago. Then we got a new Head who objected to being the Head of People Matters so it's now HR again. 

Ah, the precursor to All Lives Matter

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Starting to use it? Is it the 90s again?

Without sounding like a candidate on The Apprentice , I've worked in large corporate backgrounds since the 90's , it's not a phrase I've encountered work wise until just recently  and outside of Business Studies courses I didn't think anyone used it ...

it could just be the sectors I've worked  in I suppose ? 

Had these two words at my place for a couple of years but I'd also add to the mix "shine, deliver, outcomes, optics, lead, empower" 

I've always thought Human Resources is an absolutely horrible name. 

Personnel was so much better. 

It seems I am more than a number, I'm a resource. 

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Without sounding like a candidate on The Apprentice , I've worked in large corporate backgrounds since the 90's , it's not a phrase I've encountered work wise until just recently  and outside of Business Studies courses I didn't think anyone used it ...

it could just be the sectors I've worked  in I suppose ? 

It’s been part of the ITIL framework (for IT service management; essentially the guide that everyone in IT services has used for decades) since at least V2 which was released in 2001. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, choffer said:

Sounds like the standard thing a head of department does. What can I change that will make it look like I've changed things but I haven't actually changed anything.

Our company has various different "Value streams". Before I joined everyone was aligned to the value streams. So if you worked in supply chain you'd specifically work for the supply chain of that value stream. You wouldn't touch the others.

Then just before I joined they got a new VP who changed all that to a more centralised way of working. So the Supply Chain for example was a much bigger team but controlled all the value streams at once.

Then we got another new VP a couple of years ago and he changed it back to Value Streams.

Now that VP has moved on and we've got a new one. And guess what? He wants to move away from Value Streams and back to centralised.

And round and round we go

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Sounds like the standard thing a head of department does. What can I change that will make it look like I've changed things but I haven't actually changed anything.

Our company has various different "Value streams". Before I joined everyone was aligned to the value streams. So if you worked in supply chain you'd specifically work for the supply chain of that value stream. You wouldn't touch the others.

Then just before I joined they got a new VP who changed all that to a more centralised way of working. So the Supply Chain for example was a much bigger team but controlled all the value streams at once.

Then we got another new VP a couple of years ago and he changed it back to Value Streams.

Now that VP has moved on and we've got a new one. And guess what? He wants to move away from Value Streams and back to centralised.

Some good blue sky thinking going on there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It’s been part of the ITIL framework (for IT service management; essentially the guide that everyone in IT services has used for decades) since at least V2 which was released in 2001. 

Yep. 'Stakeholders' was definitely a 90s buzzword. Working in university admin IT, we unfortunately acquired a thrusting young boss (complete with red braces) who was obsessed with changing all the terminology. So our system users had to be called 'customers'. Which I pointed out to him was bollocks, as we all worked for the same organisation, they didn't pay for the services, and they had no alternative suppliers. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. 'Stakeholders' was definitely a 90s buzzword. Working in university admin IT, we unfortunately acquired a thrusting young boss (complete with red braces) who was obsessed with changing all the terminology. So our system users had to be called 'customers'. Which I pointed out to him was bollocks, as we all worked for the same organisation, they didn't pay for the services, and they had no alternative suppliers. 

It’s gone back now. Customers are the company who pay for the service and the users are the people who use the service. 

your guy is a muppet 

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The usual cycle in IT is insourcing/outsourcing. I worked at a company who'd gone back and fourth 5 times in the previous decade.

"Our IT team is too expensive, let's send it all to India". They inevitably pick the cheapest supplier they can, and complaints pile up about slow, poor support from people who don't understand the business. It ends up costing the business more than just paying good people to do the work in house.

Once the clown who made that decisions is replaced, a new big swinging dick decides to improve IT services, so it comes back in, but give it a few years, until some new bigwig comes in and sees a way to save money...

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â