Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It looks great on paper so someone is getting a big bonus for selling of all these buildings and cancelling leases.

It remains to be seen if it works.

Hmmm. I think the rent on the new place will be stupid high.  When they first mentioned it I thought they would take one look at the rent and run a mile.  Our current offices are shall we say rather average at best.  So half the space is probably costing very nearly as much as we were paying anyway. 

Still, if I have to go into an office I'd rather it be a nice top end place than some dump. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, shortly we're moving to a really smart new building that's just been built and moving in our already shared office, plus another Brum office and an office in Sutton Coldfield. They'll never have enough desks for everyone to be in, not by a long shot. 

Working on the 13th floor though 😱

That could be a bit Roky, watch out for the Reverberation from the Elevators

• Like 2

Our office is a massive, new building that's been kitted out with countless meeting areas, "breakout spaces" cozy seating, and fancy coffee machines, free food, etc, much better than the shithole I used to work in, but within an hour I was pissed off with the temperature, lighting, noise, lack of cats and only having 2 screens. Glad it's there if I want it, but no thanks.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Our office is a massive, new building that's been kitted out with countless meeting areas, "breakout spaces" cozy seating, and fancy coffee machines, free food, etc, much better than the shithole I used to work in, but within an hour I was pissed off with the temperature, lighting, noise, lack of cats and only having 2 screens. Glad it's there if I want it, but no thanks.

The temperature worries me. I hold the magic knowledge of how to control the aircon on our floor with just 1 or 2 others.  I use this knowledge democratically Bojo style by ignoring any complaints about how it's too hot or too cold and set it exactly how I want, even turning on or off the vents around my desk at will. 

The new place will be centrally controlled for sure. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Whenever I go into the office my blood boils at the sound of other people on the phone. Also others eating their lunch at their desk. I absolutely hate it now.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Whenever I go into the office my blood boils at the sound of other people on the phone. Also others eating their lunch at their desk. I absolutely hate it now.

Yup, it's amazing how bloody irritating things are when you've been free of it for so long. People got to see that life could be different, we managed it for 2 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Work are suddenly discussing bringing everyone back into the office.

18 months of bullshit about office of the future and improved work life balance and embracing flexible working etc etc and all down the drain. Probably because some big dog walked into one of the offices and noticed there weren't many people there.

words removed

Have you been full time WFH or hybrid already?

I've not been in the office since March 2020 but they are planning a return soon, likely April. Thankfully we are going to 50/50 split WFH/Office, I've had to get involved to make it work because I'm not convinced our managers want it and the longer it was dragging on the more chance they just say "as we were before".

I'm hopeful a lot of companies won't go back to how it was so it gives people an option to move jobs, as you said a lot of managers/directors just want to see people in person in the office. 

We’ve just moved offices (even though I’m WFH today).

The rent on the ‘new’ place was too low to resist. Not as many funky features as the old place that had a coffee shop and a gym and some nice communal areas, but man, the difference in the rent. If people really miss the ping pong table we can buy them one each with the difference in rent.

The really really nice thing, is the war that was rumbling on about temperature and ventilation has stopped. I say stopped, we’ve sat people according to their personal gripes - want more ventilation, you get a window seat. Want it warm and snug, you can go and sit in the far corner away from doors and windows and natural light.

Keeping it flexible has got to be the long term answer.

But we have a system based on the very flawed ‘GDP’ and that needs you to buy petrol and sandwiches and work shirts and hard wearing contract carpet.

• Like 2

Organised an evening at the pool hall yesterday to play a few games, have a few beers and a burger and watch the footy, meet at 6.30.  All good and then about 45 minutes before I leave my mate says, oh by the way, I've got an appointment to get my hair cut at 7.  OK so did you plan to get to the pool hall and then immediately walk back to the barbers and why tell us now?  What's the **** point in that?  He literally lives in a flat two floors above the barbers as well.  Utter plonker.  In the end we just waited while he got his haircut and went to the pub down the road from him, the food is great there but a £25 night turned into a £40 one.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Organised an evening at the pool hall yesterday to play a few games, have a few beers and a burger and watch the footy, meet at 6.30.  All good and then about 45 minutes before I leave my mate says, oh by the way, I've got an appointment to get my hair cut at 7.  OK so did you plan to get to the pool hall and then immediately walk back to the barbers and why tell us now?  What's the **** point in that?  He literally lives in a flat two floors above the barbers as well.  Utter plonker.  In the end we just waited while he got his haircut and went to the pub down the road from him, the food is great there but a £25 night turned into a £40 one.

oooo that's annoying

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Who books a barbers appointment? Isn't it take a seat and wait until it's your turn?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Who books a barbers appointment? Isn't it take a seat and wait until it's your turn?

I think it's a carryover from when the main lock down ended and you had to book because it was so busy.  My brother books appointments as well because he can't be arsed waiting.  I hate waiting but just go to a shitter barbers where there are likely to be fewer customers.

57 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

At the very least he must now expect to be the joke in any future planning for at least a year. "Just wondering if anyone's up for a night out on Saturday, obviously we'll plan around any of Bob's trips to the barber. Just let us know when the haircut is and we can finalise times :thumb:"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Have you been full time WFH or hybrid already?

I've not been in the office since March 2020 but they are planning a return soon, likely April. Thankfully we are going to 50/50 split WFH/Office, I've had to get involved to make it work because I'm not convinced our managers want it and the longer it was dragging on the more chance they just say "as we were before".

I'm hopeful a lot of companies won't go back to how it was so it gives people an option to move jobs, as you said a lot of managers/directors just want to see people in person in the office. 

We've been hybrid for about a year. Before that pretty much full time WFH with the odd day in the office here and there.

The message was always that we'd never go back. Now it's suddenly changed.

To be fair I had a meeting with our HR rep today and asked her and she basically shot it down. She said even if they don't care about the employees, WFH is the norm now and they'll lose their competitiveness attracting talent if they force everyone back into the office.

I think it's come from a big dog blaming people not being in the office for something going wrong, which almost certainly wasn't because people were WFH. All it takes is one word removed to say the word and it'll happen

32 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The more relevant question is who books an appointment to get their hair done at 7 in the evening?!

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â