Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

There was a place near me in Stafford called Chindia. You can guess what it did. The indian element was ok, the chinese part was dog shit. It lasted less than 6 months. 

for clarity this isn't a takeaway thing, its a proper sit in restaurant

this is like your local Balti house also selling pizza and lasagne rather than an omelette option, that's how they roll in Germany, not sure if its because the demand for Indian food simply isn't there

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

for clarity this isn't a takeaway thing, its a proper sit in restaurant

this is like your local Balti house also selling pizza and lasagne rather than an omelette option, that's how they roll in Germany, not sure if its because the demand for Indian food simply isn't there

I got a bit addicted to Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.
It's not exactly a scientific study

but

Some of the most common problems with the places he visits are the food isn't fresh (this is by far the number one reason. Literally everywhere he goes they don't cook food fresh) closely followed by the menus are too big.

He always tells them to choose a style and do it well. Don't try and do loads of different styles

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

but

Some of the most common problems with the places he visits are the food isn't fresh (this is by far the number one reason. Literally everywhere he goes they don't cook food fresh) closely followed by the menus are too big.

He always tells them to choose a style and do it well. Don't try and do loads of different styles

I think most of the top restaurants only have a very limited menu. Like you say, quality over quantity. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

but

My fave restaurant basically has about 6 main courses on the menu and they very rarely change any of them.

Originally, I was worried once people worked their way through the menu they wouldn’t return and the place wouldn’t survive.

Ignoring lockdown, the place has been open a good few years now and there’s still a 2 month waiting list for a table.

edit: 10 things on the menu, they’ve added 3 veggie / vegan dishes to what was a meat only restaurant

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The golden rule of takeaway food: The more of the below a takeaway does, the more shit it is at all of them. I've never encountered a place that does more than one of them well.

• Curry
  • Pizza
  • Burgers
  • Fried chicken

Basically Big Johns (you may not be aware of them @Davkaus as i think they are a Brum thing)

https://www.mybigjohns.com/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think most of the top restaurants only have a very limited menu. Like you say, quality over quantity. 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

My fave restaurant basically has about 6 main courses on the menu and they very rarely change any of them.

Originally, I was worried once people worked their way through the menu they wouldn’t return and the place wouldn’t survive.

Ignoring lockdown, the place has been open a good few years now and there’s still a 2 month waiting list for a table.

I think the two things (freshness and menu size) are connected. If you have 100 dishes in 10 different styles on your menu then the amount of fresh ingredients you'd have to have every day would mean it would be impossible to cook everything fresh (and you'd waste ingredients for dishes you didn't make). So you have to resort to freezing and microwaves.

A small menu means less ingredients and the ability to cook things fresh

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Or a tasting menu where you don't even get a choice :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

edit: 10 things on the menu, they’ve added 3 veggie / vegan dishes to what was a meat only restaurant

They’ve added 3 veggie / vegan things to the menu so in other words their menu is still 6 main courses  :) 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

They’ve added 3 veggie / vegan things to the menu so in other words their menu is still 6 main courses  :) 

I didn’t even read what they were, I saw the words veggie, vegan and haloumi

I eat a fair bit of veggie stuff, but no way am I calling in favours to get a table at an award winning southern style meat place and then spaffing it all on a £15 tofu burger.

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I didn’t even read what they were, I saw the words veggie, vegan and haloumi

I eat a fair bit of veggie stuff, but no way am I calling in favours to get a table at an award winning southern style meat place and then spaffing it all on a £15 tofu burger.

Bit racist.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Bit racist.

Nah, not having that, some of my best friends are veggies.

I had a nice Tesco soya chilli this evening. With some off brand Lidl Dorito lookalikes.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â