Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I'm sure I've said this before but when did 'lose' become 'loose'?

I'm pretty sure it's only in the last few years and it's becoming more prevalent. Even educated people are making the mistake. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I'm pretty sure it's only in the last few years and it's becoming more prevalent. Even educated people are making the mistake. 

I see it a lot here on VT. 

22 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

People who say 'can I get' in shops and eateries 

The response should be 'no, you are not allowed on my side of the counter but I can get whatever for you if you wish should you rephrase the question in the correct manner' If not you can 'get' lost 

You would hate me then. I'd say 'I want' or maybe 'may I have' on a good day 😂

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

The response should be 'no, you are not allowed on my side of the counter but I can get whatever for you if you wish should you rephrase the question in the correct manner' If not you can 'get' lost 

Similar to my post a while back...

On 27/12/2019 at 19:42, brommy said:

If I worked as a food or drink server, I would make it my mission to educate everyone that said “Can I get...” by saying “No, you can’t because you don’t work here; however I can get it for you, if requested correctly. Would you like to rephrase your question?”

I expect I’d be sacked within the hour.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

It's weird to me. Fairly easy to differentiate even as a foreigner. 

Similarly, I like the word loose and I particularly like it when coupled with super.

Such as, our gig tonight is going to be super loose.

But it sounds a bit too close to super loos so that sort of ruins it for me.

I've had my first day off work since February to enjoy the last day of hot weather....... But it's too hot to go out so I'm here inside on VT instead. 

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

There was quite a big discussion about this on VT a few months ago. 

It was not something I had picked up on at the time but since then I have noticed it a lot and you are right to be angry. 

At best it's just really annoying Americanisation of our language but actually it's basically just very rude.  If you want something it should be "please could I have".  It's just good manners innit. 

It does seem to be becoming more and more widespread. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

The days of good English is went. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â