Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

People dropping 'to be' from sentences. Like 'this needs to be done' becomes 'this needs done'. Makes my skin crawl.

That sounds horrendous, but I can't say I've ever heard anyone say that

10 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

YouTube videos with the title or description “rare footage”.

Well it’s not really is it? It’s on YouTube. It has 5.5m views.

The amount of views don't decide how rare something is.  There's only one Mona Lisa.

Professional disagree-ers.

There’s a guy in my work who will respond to any point made by anyone with “I disagree” or “no, you’re wrong”. Then will tell you why you’re wrong, normally by making the exact same point you were making.

So it’s not that you disagree at all then? You’re just using that phrase to put people on the back foot and try and exert your supposed authority on the situation. Nonsense. 

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

People dropping 'to be' from sentences. Like 'this needs to be done' becomes 'this needs done'. Makes my skin crawl.

One's that get to me most...

People who say "ask" like "axe"
I have a little cousin called Alec, whenever refereeing to something that belongs to him, rather than saying "Alec's", they'll say it like "Alex's".
Americans who refer to teams as a singular "I hope New York wins", "New York is the best team in baseball". NO! it should clearly be "I hope New York win", "New York are the best team in basketball". They then contradict themselves when using team names, they wouldn't say "I hope the Mets wins" or "The Mets is the best team in baseball". Maybe @maqroll or @leviramsey can clear it up...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

One's that get to me most...

People who say "ask" like "axe"
I have a little cousin called Alec, whenever refereeing to something that belongs to him, rather than saying "Alec's", they'll say it like "Alex's".
Americans who refer to teams as a singular "I hope New York wins", "New York is the best team in baseball". NO! it should clearly be "I hope New York win", "New York are the best team in basketball". They then contradict themselves when using team names, they wouldn't say "I hope the Mets wins" or "The Mets is the best team in baseball". Maybe @maqroll or @leviramsey can clear it up...

Similar to "Axe" instead of "Ask". We have a girl at work who says "Rix" instead of "Risk".

Another one that annoys me, which is often from my Indian work colleagues, is "Is it?" or "Isn't it" as an answer where it doesn't work.

For example: 

Me: "I'm going to Spain next week"

Colleague: "Oh, is it?"

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Similar to "Axe" instead of "Ask". We have a girl at work who says "Rix" instead of "Risk".

Another one that annoys me, which is often from my Indian work colleagues, is "Is it?" or "Isn't it" as an answer where it doesn't work.

For example: 

Indians also say 'paining' instead of 'hurting'. Which has always annoyed me.

25 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

For example: 

Definitely heard the "is it" one before!

Another one for India, doesn't really piss me off or anything, but just odd - they call the @ (at) symbol "at the rate". On a call I was given an e-mail address "can you e-mail reservations, with an S. At the rate, Lalit New Delhi dot com". I genuinely couldn't understand when I typed in reservations@theratelalitnewdelhi.com, why it wasn't going through.

Edited by kurtsimonw

29 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'll add "winningest"  to the list of awful North American sports-related terms 🤢

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milfner said:

I'll add "winningest"  to the list of awful North American sports-related terms 🤢

The over-talking is another one, the way they have to use the full name for everything.

Rather than just saying the Super Bowl, they'll be like "The 2019 National Football League Super Bowl, brought to you buy some ridiculous sponsor name" or whatever.

• Like 1

I think they speak like that because they translate directly straight from their original language, which doesn't always work, people from other countries do it as well, including English people when talking in another language. Most obvious example I can think of is when French people say something like 'I go now', meaning 'I'm going now', 'I go now' doesn't sound quite right to us, even though we know what they mean, but in French it's a perfectly normal way of saying I'm going to go now (I think).

Living in Germany my bad English ones are probably a bit different and a little unfair

My favourite is "unpossible" thanks to ralph wiggum, that's really common too, ze Germans also like to say "this cannot be" a lot, like crossing the road without the green man, this cannot be

Also heard the word seldom used more in the last 3 months than in my previous 35 years in England, hardly ever hear it used there ;)

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â