Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

People who water down Fairy liquid or hand soap to get the last bits out the bottle. Disgusting. If you’re going to do it, use warm water ONCE then throw it away.

This incites expletive filled rage from me, my wife does this as did my daughter. **** rage.

Every day!

I did see something in the guardian or telegraph or some non red top paper about some insider at a top london firm saying theyd turned down people at job interviews for wearing that combo, they threw the class system in to it saying something like it was what poor people done well like to wear 

I was at an usher at a wedding where the groom and all the men in the wedding party were dressed in blue suits and brown shoes. I thought we all looked rather dapper. 

I don’t think I’d wear a blue suit to an interview or anything, but on a special occasion I think they look alright. Match it with a claret tie to complete the look.

I was advised when visiting London business partners that the adage is 'no brown in town' - they'd view you as being too informal in brown shoes. Also heard of one incident where someone wore a shirt with a pocket, and had the pocket ripped off by his office head.

Edited by Chindie

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I was advised when visiting London business partners that the adage is 'no brown in town' - they'd view you as being too informal in brown shoes. Also heard of one incident where someone wore a shirt with a pocket, and had the pocket ripped off by his office head.

These sorts of attitudes tell me that we're barely any further on as a species than reading entrails or dunking 'witches' in ponds. What the hell can you learn about someone from whether their shirt has a pocket or not?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

These sorts of attitudes tell me that we're barely any further on as a species than reading entrails or dunking 'witches' in ponds. What the hell can you learn about someone from whether their shirt has a pocket or not?

Well, you can learn that they can't follow the sartorial rules of the industry they're trying to enter, and they're going to embarrass your firm when they meet with other people in the same industry.

It's silly, and likely discriminatory, but if you're trying to break in to an industry mostly full of self-interested shits, you have to expect it's going to smell.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Well, you can learn that they can't follow the sartorial rules of the industry they're trying to enter, and they're going to embarrass your firm when they meet with other people in the same industry.

It's silly, and likely discriminatory, but if you're trying to break in to an industry mostly full of self-interested shits, you have to expect it's going to smell.

It's very hard to respect someone who would consider you to have embarrassed your firm based on a pocket in a shirt, and not what you'd said or the work you'd produced. You're just proving my point; these businesses - especially big financial institutions - like to believe that they follow rationality and evidence and data, and are not guided by superstition or mumbo-jumbo. These 'sartorial rules of the industry' prove otherwise. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Also heard of one incident where someone wore a shirt with a pocket, and had the pocket ripped off by his office head.

Sounds like the potential for a nice payout.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's very hard to respect someone who would consider you to have embarrassed your firm based on a pocket in a shirt, and not what you'd said or the work you'd produced. You're just proving my point; these businesses - especially big financial institutions - like to believe that they follow rationality and evidence and data, and are not guided by superstition or mumbo-jumbo. These 'sartorial rules of the industry' prove otherwise. 

Some potentially good news is that I've seen some evidence of this waning slightly. The other week I went to a client meeting in Canary Wharf, at a major bank, wearing jeans and a hoody (I had a gig to go to after), and no one batted an eyed and the meeting was great. 

The sooner the collection of what I call dinosaurs retire or die off the better. 

• Like 1

Yep, I've worked in an office where the rules were fairly relaxed, but we had a number of Clients where there was a dress code for meetings.

One particular bank were hung up on plain white shirts and your belt and shoes being the same colour, i.e. black no brown. They were also shirt and tie 4 days a week, but then had crazy Friday's where you didn't wear a tie in the afternoon. First of the month, if it was a week day, was 'funny' tie day. Women, could wear pretty much whatever they wanted whenever, 'cos, you know, they're women.

I think it was pure coincidence that every last one of them at that place was a total social retard.

We still have one very good Client that likes to take us out every now and again as a thanks for the work we put in. But the outings are a weird mix. It'll be something like 12 tickets to go and see Little Mix, or Kylie or some such pop stuff. But we'll have a box and be expected to wear suits. Sometimes, the invite will be worded along the lines of 'bring 6 staff and their wives'. Because obviously, it's still 1953.

It's like, old school straight male suited up corporate box entertainment, but at a Take That gig. Weird. I have wondered if it's the most elaborate long running wind up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, I've worked in an office where the rules were fairly relaxed, but we had a number of Clients where there was a dress code for meetings.

One particular bank were hung up on plain white shirts and your belt and shoes being the same colour, i.e. black no brown. They were also shirt and tie 4 days a week, but then had crazy Friday's where you didn't wear a tie in the afternoon. First of the month, if it was a week day, was 'funny' tie day. Women, could wear pretty much whatever they wanted whenever, 'cos, you know, they're women.

I think it was pure coincidence that every last one of them at that place was a total social retard.

We still have one very good Client that likes to take us out every now and again as a thanks for the work we put in. But the outings are a weird mix. It'll be something like 12 tickets to go and see Little Mix, or Kylie or some such pop stuff. But we'll have a box and be expected to wear suits. Sometimes, the invite will be worded along the lines of 'bring 6 staff and their wives'. Because obviously, it's still 1953.

It's like, old school straight male suited up corporate box entertainment, but at a Take That gig. Weird. I have wondered if it's the most elaborate long running wind up.

48 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I wish some of the witches in my office would get dunked. 

The road outside my house looks like **** no man's land. 7 potholes within about 20 metres. The road surface clearly isn't designed to cope with the buses that run over it.

They came out to fix a single one of them about 3 weeks ago, ignoring the others. It's already back, and wider than it was before. Good job, guys.

It's hard to blame the council with their budget being decimated, of course, but it seems like they have no budget for road repairs, yet seem to have no lack of funds to put speed bumps on any road on which anyone's ever hit 20mph.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â