Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

48 minutes ago, Risso said:

I play 5 aside on a Tuesday night with a load of other dads from our kids’ school. I’m not the greatest footballer by any stretch of the imagination, so I just try to keep it simple. Make the best pass possible, try and get into space when free and mark somebody on the opposite side when they have the ball. I’ve got a lot fitter and that makes a huge amount of difference in small sided football.

Yep it's that simple. I'm not amazing but I run my ass off, track my man and try to pass it around.

Playing with people then refusing to play just isn't on.

I always avoided 5-a-side. I had the fitness, but it also requires some skill on the ball - of which I had precisely none. 90-minute 11-a-side, on a sloping mudbath pitch was always my forte. Brought everybody down to my level. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yep it's that simple. I'm not amazing but I run my ass off, track my man and try to pass it around.

Playing with people then refusing to play just isn't on.

What about those that like football but are really really crap at it and just want the exercise, the social aspect and still want to play? Where do they go? Do they do like a weekly ‘special olympics’ version? Genuine question :P

Edited by Ingram85

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

What about those that like football but are really really crap at it and just want the exercise, the social aspect and still want to play? Where do they go? Do they do like a weekly ‘special olympics’ version? Genuine question :P

I'm talking about people who don't get any exercise because they don't move.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

That walking football is popular nowadays.  I have to say I always found there's a balance between not being arsed and running round like a clearing in the woods like it's the FA Cup final.  Nothing worse than people go running round like a Duracell rabbit taking it ultra seriously.

18 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I never know the etiquette when at a zebra crossing.  When somebody stops the car to let me cross the road in general I give them a wave of thanks, but when at a zebra crossing technically it's my right of way, so shouldn't have to thank them.  I usually wave anyway because I'm nice.

I never wave or thank a driver when they are obeying the rules of the road (or at least the etiquette of the road).

Those traffic chicanes I moaned about earlier in the thread, it pisses me off even more when the person I'm waiting for flashes their lights or waves to say thanks.

It's give way. I don't have a choice. If I did I wouldn't be letting you through, word removed.

Waves should be for when drivers do something they didn't need to do.

• Like 1

I don’t know, these days I don’t mind giving someone an acknowledgment for simply not being a word removed and following the rules of the road. Depends how I’m feeling as much as anything.

There seems to be more drivers not prepared to stop at a crossing than there use to be. Although I may just be noticing it more these days as I’m out with my kid.

• Like 2

I find some zebra crossings a nightmare TBH, as a driver. Badly placed, badly lit. When it's dark outside, it's often difficult to spot someone standing at them.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's courtesy though. When one of my staff presents me with a report I've asked for, I say thanks. They are literally doing what I pay them to do but to not acknowledge it would be churlish (imo).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, choffer said:

It's courtesy though. When one of my staff presents me with a report I've asked for, I say thanks. They are literally doing what I pay them to do but to not acknowledge it would be churlish (imo).

I don't think the two things are comparable :) 

52 minutes ago, Jon said:

I find some zebra crossings a nightmare TBH, as a driver. Badly placed, badly lit. When it's dark outside, it's often difficult to spot someone standing at them.

Yeah, this. There's one near me, that I cross every evening on my way back from taking my grandaughter home. It's immediately after a roundabout, and very hard to spot in the dark, even more so in bad weather, and/or if the pedestrians are in dark clothing. It's a good job I know it's there - non locals would probably inadvertently be accelerating across it every time. 

When I get given right of way, I never wave or flash my lights, when I give way and people wave or flash their lights, I think there is no need pal, pay it forward.

...but when I give way and they don't wave or flash their lights, I think "**** YOU TOO BUDDY!!! I WON'T BOTHER NEXT TIME!! **** AUDI/BMW/MERC ( delete as appropriate) word removed!!!WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I never wave or thank a driver when they are obeying the rules of the road (or at least the etiquette of the road).

Those traffic chicanes I moaned about earlier in the thread, it pisses me off even more when the person I'm waiting for flashes their lights or waves to say thanks.

It's give way. I don't have a choice. If I did I wouldn't be letting you through, word removed.

They are flashing to acknowledge that you have been forced to stop and give them way. You can't get annoyed at that! 

I remember in my driving test there was a zebra crossing and an old lady was walking towards it but she was still quite far away. So I thought what's the point of stopping and carried on. 

The examiner slammed the break as if he was doing an emergency stop. There was just no need for it. It was quite early in the test too. 

The rest of the test was a waste of time. 

39 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I remember in my driving test there was a zebra crossing and an old lady was walking towards it but she was still quite far away. So I thought what's the point of stopping and carried on. 

The examiner slammed the break as if he was doing an emergency stop. There was just no need for it. It was quite early in the test too. 

The rest of the test was a waste of time. 

I had a fail for exactly that. An old dear with a walking stick,about 2 meters from the crossing. The examiner seemed to think she was about to turn in to Usain **** Bolt. About 3 minutes of awkward silence later, she crossed the road.

Â