Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm only going on the wording here "she visited a primary school in the Cotswolds to discuss ways in which Cinderella is sexist and then asked the children to come up with their own version. I can't watch the video in work.  I guess it just pushed my wrong button :D

That's very much a simplification of the video. She didn't sit them down and say 'IT'S SEXIST IT NEEDS TO CHANGE'. It was very much a respectful and open discussion that the children led.

I don't think there's any conflict here. 

1. The old stories should NEVER be censored or altered to suit current mores. They should still be read and enjoyed, as they were written. 

BUT...

2. Using them as a vehicle for discussing how situations and attitudes have changed between then and now (including suggestions as to how they might be written nowadays) is a perfectly sound idea. Probably essential, in fact. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Retrospectively changing the contents of old books is a very dangerous thing to be doing.  

Are you for real? I honestly can't tell if you're being serious. How many versions of **** Cinderella do you think there have been?

EDIT: Julian Clary and Paul O'Grady are in a particularly offensive version at the London Palladium at the moment, I understand. How very dare. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Unless it's just my video where the children's responses are muted it is difficult to actually take much from that video.

I find her questions very leading and not particularly open. I feel like she's trying to guide them towards her interpretation of the book's meaning or what she see's within the stories content. Again though, without hearing the children's responses it makes it difficult to see how successful she was.

That being said it's a discussion that should be had with children that age.

Edited by sexbelowsound

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I read a recipe for bread wrong and put table spoons of salt instead of teaspoons.  **** me it's salty.

I once put sugar on my chips, due to a mix up. Well, I say a mix up, it was me picking up the wrong sachets as I was too busy talking.

Horrible

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I read a recipe for bread wrong and put table spoons of salt instead of teaspoons.  **** me it's salty.

Sounds like a stroke of bad luck. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Are you for real? I honestly can't tell if you're being serious. How many versions of **** Cinderella do you think there have been?

EDIT: Julian Clary and Paul O'Grady are in a particularly offensive version at the London Palladium at the moment, I understand. How very dare. 

Then let Mrs do gooder discuss the Clary version and it's merits in a school then and leave the original alone.

Cinderella is a fairy story anyone who takes it any more literal than that needs their head examining , same as someone who reads Harry Potter and thinks Ginger kids can have a girlfriend 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Then let Mrs do gooder discuss the Clary version and it's merits in a school then and leave the original alone.

Cinderella is a fairy story anyone who takes it any more literal than that needs their head examining , same as someone who reads Harry Potter and thinks Ginger kids can have a girlfriend 

The 'original' is Chinese. Even if you only go as far back as the Grimm brothers version, it contained a wishing tree, doves from heaven and the step-sisters cut their own toes off. The story has literally been adapted for more than 1000 years around the entire planet. The complaint about this is honestly so dumb it's breathtaking. 

Tell me, were you this worked up about Shrek?

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The 'original' is Chinese. Even if you only go as far back as the Grimm brothers version, it contained a wishing tree, doves from heaven and the step-sisters cut their own toes off. The story has literally been adapted for more than 1000 years around the entire planet. The complaint about this is honestly so dumb it's breathtaking. 

Tell me, were you this worked up about Shrek?

I think only one of us is "worked up"  about this and it ain't the guy from Surrey

its also not originally from China but Greece surely everyone has heard the story of Rhodopis ?

stories can evolve that's not the argument but to my knowledge the writers of Shrek didn't lecture small children about previous incarnations of the story  

Edited by tonyh29

Just now, tonyh29 said:

I think only one of us is "worked up"  about this and it ain't the guy from Surrey

its also not originally from China but Greece surely everyone has heard the story of Rhodopis ?

stories can evolve that's not the argument but to my knowledge the writers of Shrek didn't lecture small children about previous incarnations of the story  

Well, it is 'the argument' when you incorrectly called one version the 'original' when it isn't. However, I didn't know of Rhodopis, so thank you for something to read about!

Your final point is just wrong. The version you called the 'original' of Cinderella was of course sanitised from more violent past versions by 'social reformers' and moral busybodies of their own times, not the least of whom is Walt Disney. Fairy tales in Europe during the Middle Ages were more often passed along by women than men - often elderly females looking after young children - and in some of the more matriarchal versions, Cinderella is far less passive. In at least one, the story ends with her murdering the stepmother. 

All of this reminds me of a recommendation for a book I thoroughly enjoyed as a child, which is Roald Dahl's 'Revolting Rhymes':

220px-Revolting_Rhymes.jpg

Of course, those purists on the site who prefer to read their fairy stories in Middle German or Ancient Greek won't be impressed, but the adaptations are fun for kids. 

• Like 3

On 21/11/2016 at 13:17, PieFacE said:

Kanye West.

What an absolute moron :lol:

How anyone can like him is beyond me, the biggest gayfish on the planet. It annoys me that people like him, even though it shouldn't, opinions and all that. 

He's a genius.

Audible.

I recently wanted to re-read His Dark Materials, but have plenty of other stuff to read so decided I'd try the audiobooks.

So I signed up to Audible. Free for the first month and £8 a month after that. Not bad, I thought. I'll get that trilogy out of the way then I can use it to listen to other books I've wanted to read over the years and haven't got round to.

But no.

I assumed it was a Netflix style arrangement. £8 a month and you can listen to whatever you want. Nope. ONE book a month. For £8. 

Maybe they've got an option where you pay an extra quid or two and you get loads? Nope. £15 a month for TWO books.

Free for the first month so I listened to Northern Lights. Then thought I may as well just buy the other two audiobooks and get them out of the way and cancel my subscription. They're £16 each!

Why are audiobooks so expensive?!

As older viewers will know I have a bit of previous  when it comes to supermarkets and reduced items but today I saw something utterly unbelievable 

there were about 12 women waiting around near the end of an aisle , at first I thought someone had fainted and they were doing that sorta concerned hope they are ok thing ... and then as I was watching a Tesco worker brought out a large trolley of "reduced " items

there was mayhem , all 12 of them pounced on her grabbed everything without looking and then "fought "with each other snatching things out of each other's basket / trollies whilst shrieking at each other before running off .. was probably all over in about 10 seconds 

i stood there open mouthed along with a few fellow shoppers who had also wondered what the crowd was gathering for 

never seen anything like it in all my life , I've seen famine starved people act with more dignity and decorum 

a few aisles later i did see one of the women's unguarded trolley full of yellow ticketed reduce items and my mischievous side did want to unload a few items and put them back on the shelf , but I also feared  for my life had this woman caught me , so walked on by 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

As older viewers will know I have a bit of previous  when it comes to supermarkets and reduced items but today I saw something utterly unbelievable 

there were about 12 women waiting around near the end of an aisle , at first I thought someone had fainted and they were doing that sorta concerned hope they are ok thing ... and then as I was watching a Tesco worker brought out a large trolley of "reduced " items

there was mayhem , all 12 of them pounced on her grabbed everything without looking and then "fought "with each other snatching things out of each other's basket / trollies whilst shrieking at each other before running off .. was probably all over in about 10 seconds 

i stood there open mouthed along with a few fellow shoppers who had also wondered what the crowd was gathering for 

never seen anything like it in all my life , I've seen famine starved people act with more dignity and decorum 

a few aisles later i did see one of the women's unguarded trolley full of yellow ticketed reduce items and my mischievous side did want to unload a few items and put them back on the shelf , but I also feared  for my life had this woman caught me , so walked on by 

Shopping triggers some sort of bestial instinct in women. They were the gatherers for thousands of years, and must have faced some very stiff competition with those Cro-Magnon bitches. So much of human endeavor has never really progressed too far beyond jungles and caves.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

James Corden.

Please take him back.

No he is yours now, you have given him this weird rollercoaster inflection in his voice too, we were done with the man a while back  

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â