Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Rated higher for what? Difficulty? Style? The 'skeleton' types are always more difficult, but I'm talking about 'regular' cryptics. It is, indeed, a matter of opinion, but over the years I've done the Times, Telegraph and Guardian, and always found the Guardian (depending on the setter) both more challenging and more ingenious. Nothing to do with the politics of the papers, btw.

Rated according to difficulty.

Crosswords are usually rated within a range because they do vary.

Telegraph = easy to medium

Guardian = easy to hard

The Times = medium to hard

Mephisto = hard to very hard

Private Eye = Funny and always a bit rude

It is always a matter of taste and there is not much pleasure in a crossword you can't do. *

*Private Eye crosswords can be downloaded and solved on your desktop using Across Lite, link at http://tinyurl.com/hkexejf

The same guy who compiles the Private Eye crossword (as Cyclops) also compiles the Guardian (as Brummie): a guy called Eddie James.

No Villa connection known.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
link added
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Are newspapers still a thing? 

If you just look at national 'papers and don't count regional, local or free 'papers, about 7,000,000 per day do think they are still a thing, yes.

I would have thought the demographic is pretty much old people and passengers in white vans.

But yes, I'd have thought they are going to be rapidly less viable, every cold winter we get.

There's always a copy of The Star in every building site staff hut. No idea who puts it there, never seen anybody actually holding a copy. The Star and Motorcycle News.

only time I pickup a newspaper is when flying as invariably they give them to you as you take your seat along with your glass of champagne .

does make me chuckle though that BA tend to favour the Mail as their freebie paper of choice , maybe they want all the foreign people on their flights to feel unwelcome and thus ensure they take their return flight home !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I can't do cryptic crosswords.

That's something that pisses me off. I should probably learn.

"Pretty girl in crimson rose (8)"

Answer: 

Rebelled

Get it? 

Edited by mjmooney

Well when you said in "crimson rose" I thought it was going to be a word hidden in those two words.

And I could get monroe out of the letters in there. (Marilyn) Monroe was a pretty girl.

So she's a pretty girl in crimson rose.

I'm not very good at this.

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well when you said in "crimson rose" I thought it was going to be a word hidden in those two words.

And I could get monroe out of the letters in there. (Marilyn) Monroe was a pretty girl.

So she's a pretty girl in crimson rose.

I'm not very good at this.

To be fair, it's harder doing one clue in isolation, without a grid. Even if you can only get one answer on your first pass, that will give you some letters in the intersecting lights.

Explanation:

'Pretty girl' is 'belle', which is embedded 'in' the word 'red' (i.e. crimson). The definition is 'rose' - not the flower, but the past tense of the verb 'to rise' - as in 'rose up', or... rebelled.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â