Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

40 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Regardless of what an individual's politics might be, why would you want to put yourself through reading that stuff every single day?

why do people constantly get so worked up on what other people read   , so you * read the Guardian \ Morning Star \ FT ... good for you , here have a high ground and enjoy the view  ... no matter that the Mirror trawled through someone's dustbin to get info for a story or faked a story about Prisoners of war or that the Guardian printed lies about journalist deleting voicemails off Milly Dowlwers phone  ... nope all that matters is the Mail  and even the hero of the people Mehdi Hasan couldn't send enough praise in order to try and secure a job there  ...

I find it much easier to not read it but if people want to then it's their choice I care not one iota  ..... Hello magazine readers on the other hand , well they should be rounded up and shot  

* generic You as in people  , not actually you

• Like 1

Calm down Tone, maybe a bit less Buckfast for breakfast tomorrow, eh?

It wasn't about the politics of it, it was about the stream of misery and fear. It would have been a similar rant had she wanted me to pick up one of those misery memoir paperbacks from Tesco that appear to be really popular. Who reads books about strangers that were abused in some horrible way but have decided to write a book about it, to be slotted in the trolley between the mince beef and toilet rolls.

Anyway, thread title suggests it was in the right place.....as was your reply.

We get the Guardian / Observer at the moment. I get it on the weekend, it sits at the end of the breakfast bar for a few days, unread. Around Monday / Tuesday I will be asked if I've finished with it. I say yes, having not even opened it. It goes in the stock pile of liner paper for the pets trays. I'm guessing the content is far more worthy. Wouldn't want Basil and Egg pissing on negative stories.

Breakfast bar! Guardian! I'm painting a picture here.

tumblr_moqd6lzalm1qbnleeo1_400.gif

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Calm down Tone, maybe a bit less Buckfast for breakfast tomorrow, eh?

guess your reading glasses were in your car so you missed this bit and took it personally  

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Because we're yoghurt-knitting, tree-hugging lefties, Tone. We get upset by these things. 

you must be close to that age where you automatically become a mail reader  , isn't it law or something ?

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

guess your reading glasses were in your car so you missed this bit and took it personally  

No, I didn't take it personal.

I'd just looked at something about Buckfast, wanted to respond and tried to tie it in. Not my best effort. I blame the fact it's like a **** TB ward in this office today. I think I need a phonecall requesting I attend a site visit.....

38 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

you must be close to that age where you automatically become a mail reader  , isn't it law or something ?

I'm more left wing now than I was when I was twenty. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm more left wing now than I was when I was twenty. 

Me too Moon Man. I think it's perhaps due to the way society and politics have 'progressed' (or rather regressed) since the late 70 that has stoked the inner injustice fire in me. 

Edited by Jon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

why do people constantly get so worked up on what other people read   , so you * read the Guardian \ Morning Star \ FT ... good for you , here have a high ground and enjoy the view  ... no matter that the Mirror trawled through someone's dustbin to get info for a story or faked a story about Prisoners of war or that the Guardian printed lies about journalist deleting voicemails off Milly Dowlwers phone  ... nope all that matters is the Mail  and even the hero of the people Mehdi Hasan couldn't send enough praise in order to try and secure a job there  ...

I find it much easier to not read it but if people want to then it's their choice I care not one iota  ..... Hello magazine readers on the other hand , well they should be rounded up and shot  

It is not what you read which matters it is how you read.

It is not the bold assertions in newspapers which are annoying, it is hearing those bold assertions parroted by those who have swallowed them without a single critical thought.

The same can be said of readers of all newspapers and the Guardian is no less irritating than the Daily Mail in that regard.

I think mostly we read not what we actually believe to be true but what we need to believe is true.

We each seek out normative statements about the world which reinforce our own Weltanschauung through either confirmation or contradiction. :D

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My in-laws read the Daily Mail, and take their world view from it. It is alarming and depressing in equal measure. 

Ditto

and yet both seem to realise it's a horrible rag.

Both have independently said to me 'I only buy it for the TV section'. OK .... :huh:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jon said:

Ditto

Both have independently said to me 'I only buy it for the TV section'. OK .... :huh:

Sadly, mine seem to believe the vile factoids that they read in it. Actually, my B-i-L is a Villa fan. Hope he isn't a VT lurker... 

19 minutes ago, Jon said:

Ditto

See my post earlier. My mom buys it (the Express) for the crossword :crylaugh: 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Fortunately, The Guardian also happens to have the best crossword.

in the movies I thought for suave sophiosticated super spy like people the Times crossword was the benchmark ?

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

in the movies I thought for suave sophiosticated super spy like people the Times crossword was the benchmark ?

I widely-held misconception. Although sadly, the Guardian's setters no longer include John Graham, the late, lamented 'Araucaria'. 

Edited by mjmooney

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The Times is rated slightly higher than the Guardian but is rated lower than the Mephisto, The Spectator and a few others.

What is the best is a matter of opinion and taste for style and wit of the clues.

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The Times is rated slightly higher than the Guardian but is rated lower than the Mephisto, The Spectator and a few others.

What is the best is a matter of opinion and taste for style and wit of the clues.

Rated higher for what? Difficulty? Style? The 'skeleton' types are always more difficult, but I'm talking about 'regular' cryptics. It is, indeed, a matter of opinion, but over the years I've done the Times, Telegraph and Guardian, and always found the Guardian (depending on the setter) both more challenging and more ingenious. Nothing to do with the politics of the papers, btw.

Â