Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I went for a meal with my two friends who have a 1 year old not so long ago.

To keep him quiet they kept giving him toys, which he immediately launched in whatever direction they left his hand in.

They just kept picking them up, and giving them back. Over and over. Why?

Because if they don't he'll probably scream the house down.

People taking phone calls over talking to physical customers is a massive pet peeve of mine too. I went to collect a pizza from Dominos on Saturday night and the two girls serving were both on the phones for bloody ages. Fair enough, they were on the phones before I got there, but when one finally finished the call, she asked my name and then immediately picked the phone up again.

I was about to explode since I could see my name on the screen and it had been set to 'READY' since I got there (and for the sheer rudeness) but she transferred the call and continued serving me to her credit.

I've seen it happen a number of times though and I think people should very loudly complain when it does.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

There's a manager in my office who is like that.

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm speaking to someone (work related, not just chatting) face to face, and my phone rings, I'll just let it ring. let them leave a message or whatever. 

But this guy will IMMEDIATELY answer the phone. He won't apologise or excuse himself, just stop mid word and answer the phone. Leaving you stood there like a lemon for potentially minutes as he's not just answering to tell them to ring back, he deals with the whole issue.

So **** rude.

But I've moaned about that guy on here a LOT! He's really weird (the one who gets up at 4am to turn his sky box on to record his kid's favourite TV shows as he doesn't trust the sky box enough to leave it on overnight)

After finishing my 4 days of drinking over the Bank Holiday weekend, it seems that my work trousers have shrunk.  If I find out who has been washing them at too high a temperature I will give them a piece of my mind.

• Like 2

I've got a 1 year old (15 months actually).

Me and mine went to a Frankie and Benny's on a Friday lunchtime at 1ish.. He was a bit hard work, but we really tried conscientiously to keep him quiet etc.  He didn't cry out, but he certainly didn't want to sit in one high chair for an hour.  We gave him toys, which he got bored of and he didn't want to do any colouring in, so we ate our dinners as quickly as possible and got out of there.  Thought we'd be OK as F&B's is generally quite loud with the music/people talking etc, but it was dead inside and it was a little embarrassing.

Went to Hickory's for my birthday last Friday and it was a bit more child friendly, they have their own cinema room which ours couldn't go in because you can't leave him (doesn't walk well/too young).  He was a bit better, but he did launch a toy at one point.  Luckily the place is huge, so no one was near us.

But it is hard. They don't know what they're doing, they don't eat on your schedule, they don't eat really strong tasting food (like BBQ sauce) because they're not meant to have it.  It's not good for them and it was my birthday, so we felt like we wanted to go out for a special occasion.

I'd never take him somewhere "nice" or intimate, because as I say, it's going to annoy other people.  Never take him to the cinema either, that would be annoying for me, never mind someone else.

At nursery he eats his tea at 4.30 and is in bed by 6.45. I get back at 6, the wife gets him at 5.30 - we then take him home and one of us cooks and we eat together (in front of the TV) when he's gone to bed, so we can play with him for 30 mins.

I think most people try to keep their kids quiet etc, but it isn't always easy.  If you're somewhere nice, then you'll probably avoid the kids.  But people who do take their 1 year old out and about to nice places on a Friday/Saturday night, then it's a bit bad - especially if mom and dad are not doing anything about little jimmy's behavior.

• Like 2

I've got a 1 year old (15 months actually).

Me and mine went to a Frankie and Benny's on a Friday lunchtime at 1ish.. He was a bit hard work, but we really tried conscientiously to keep him quiet etc.  He didn't cry out, but he certainly didn't want to sit in one high chair for an hour.  We gave him toys, which he got bored of and he didn't want to do any colouring in, so we ate our dinners as quickly as possible and got out of there.  Thought we'd be OK as F&B's is generally quite loud with the music/people talking etc, but it was dead inside and it was a little embarrassing.

Went to Hickory's for my birthday last Friday and it was a bit more child friendly, they have their own cinema room which ours couldn't go in because you can't leave him (doesn't walk well/too young).  He was a bit better, but he did launch a toy at one point.  Luckily the place is huge, so no one was near us.

But it is hard. They don't know what they're doing, they don't eat on your schedule, they don't eat really strong tasting food (like BBQ sauce) because they're not meant to have it.  It's not good for them and it was my birthday, so we felt like we wanted to go out for a special occasion.

I'd never take him somewhere "nice" or intimate, because as I say, it's going to annoy other people.  Never take him to the cinema either, that would be annoying for me, never mind someone else.

At nursery he eats his tea at 4.30 and is in bed by 6.45. I get back at 6, the wife gets him at 5.30 - we then take him home and one of us cooks and we eat together (in front of the TV) when he's gone to bed, so we can play with him for 30 mins.

I think most people try to keep their kids quiet etc, but it isn't always easy.  If you're somewhere nice, then you'll probably avoid the kids.  But people who do take their 1 year old out and about to nice places on a Friday/Saturday night, then it's a bit bad - especially if mom and dad are not doing anything about little jimmy's behavior.

A 1 year old is going to be loud though, not saying to leave him/her to it if they are genuinely being naughty. Ive taken my 1 year old daughter to restaurants with us and had nice meals, if shes loud and makes noises like normal babys do then so be it, im paying the same as everyone else to be there.

The last place we went to was Novikov in Mayfair, as posh as they come but not a single person had a problem with us having our daughter with us in a high chair. Saying that though she is pretty good 90% of the time and eats with us

6 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

The last place we went to was Novikov in Mayfair, as posh as they come but not a single person had a problem with us having our daughter with us in a high chair. Saying that though she is pretty good 90% of the time and eats with us

did your daughter eat from the Asian menu or the Italian menu   ?

It's a tricky one and I'd like to think most people are sympathetic towards parents as long as they're actually parenting. It's when you see parents not giving a shit and not either soothing or disciplining their kids that annoys me.

I don't agree with your whole 'I pay the same as everyone else' logic though. Other people have paid the same as you and I don't think it's too much to ask to expect a little peace and quiet when enjoying your meal. I don't have any kids though I plan on it someday and I personally wouldn't take a baby to these sorts of places. You'll probably say that my opinion will change when it comes to that time but I honestly don't think it will.

I sympathise though, it's not easy.

Edited by Ginko

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Just don't have kids. And if you do, don't take them to restaurants.

we have to take them to restaurants , how else can we tell everyone on Facebook how well behaved they were and how all the other diners with kids were green with envy that they lack our superhuman parenting skills  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

we have to take them to restaurants , how else can we tell everyone on Facebook how well behaved they were and how all the other diners with kids were green with envy that they lack our superhuman parenting skills  

On a related note, when someone has a screaming kid on an aeroplane, it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that the little shit is probably in considerable pain because it can't actively pop its own ears.  I have a dark side.

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

I don't agree with your whole 'I pay the same as everyone else' logic though. Other people have paid the same as you and I don't think it's too much to ask to expect a little peace and quiet when enjoying your meal. I don't have any kids though I plan on it someday and I personally wouldn't take a baby to these sorts of places. You'll probably say that my opinion will change when it comes to that time but I honestly don't think it will.

Absolutely.

If I was sat in a restaurant shouting my head off and disturbing other diners, I couldn't say "well I've paid the same as everybody else".

I'm being a bit facetious there, as I have been on this topic in general. But that logic is definitely flawed.

48 minutes ago, BOF said:

On a related note, when someone has a screaming kid on an aeroplane, it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing that the little shit is probably in considerable pain because it can't actively pop its own ears.  I have a dark side.

You don't mean that.

Harsh brah.

Absolutely.

If I was sat in a restaurant shouting my head off and disturbing other diners, I couldn't say "well I've paid the same as everybody else".

I'm being a bit facetious there, as I have been on this topic in general. But that logic is definitely flawed.

A 1 year old child being loud is alot different than a grown man or woman doing it knowing it will annoy people.

I like to go out as a family, not palm off the little one just so we can have a meal for 2. I wouldnt say "oh we cant go to that restaurant as we have a 1 year old and some people may not like it"

9 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You don't mean that.

Harsh brah.

It's my way of dealing with an annoyance.  I turn a negative into a positive and no-one is hurt by my thoughts :)  Win win.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â