Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

A lot of people will complete the target, say a month,and once that's done reward themselves with the very thing that they've been trying to avoid. I think the best way to approach it probably depends on whether your trying to give up altogether or just reduce your intake. Of course the best thing to do is to talk to a professional for advice.

12 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

you are all kinda saying the same thing  so  i'll answer them all together ...

I wasn't born with any super powers  it's just a decision you make ..or don't make  .... I understand the sentiment that it isn't that easy , but all I'm asking is why ? why do so many people give up smoking and then start again within a few days , why do so many people go on a diet and then break it 2 days later .... if you can go 1 day without a cigarette , why can't you go 2 , or 3 or 33   ... if someone can go 12 hours without smoking on a long haul flight , why do they then have to light up within 30 secs of getting into a fresh air zone  ... whats the difference between 12 hours and 12 hours and 1 minute ?

@Designer1 ... would you describe the case in point here as addiction ? I hadn't really looked at it in that way  more someone who likes a drink a few times a week  , for me addiciotn would be if he had to have a drink to even get out of bed and face the day  ?

I suppose I don't really have a point to make here, other than it's odd that you think that just because you can do something, you assume that everyone can do it as well. Let's say you and your friend were out swimming off a row boat in the middle of the sea, and you see a shark in the distance coming towards the two of you very slowly. Your friend is a natural athlete. 6 foot 4 just like his father. Now, while your friend's mother brought him to swimming lessons and rowing lessons every weekend, your mother was a bit of a drinker who was too hungover to bring you anywhere at the weekend. Your friend swims with consummate ease to the row boat while you're doing the doggy paddle and not getting anywhere near the boat. Your friend could easily row the boat over to you and pull you aboard before the shark arrives, but instead is just sitting back wondering why you are having such trouble. He's also feeling a good deal of smug satisfaction at your struggle, knowing that he was able to get to the boat so easily.

I guess naive is the word.

Edited by YLN
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

@Designer1 ... would you describe the case in point here as addiction ? I hadn't really looked at it in that way  more someone who likes a drink a few times a week  , for me addiciotn would be if he had to have a drink to even get out of bed and face the day  ?

Again, there are varying degrees of addiction. You don't have to be falling out of bed and straight onto the spirits to have an addiction to something.

The point I was trying to make, is that even if you have a mild (compared to other cases) addiction to alcohol then cutting down or giving up the booze will be more difficult. It's all about the individual and their mental make up and background.

Re. Ruge and his drink intake. I'm not going to comment as I have only have an idea of his personality and lifestyle from this forum and so i'd be uncomfortable to make any judgment from that.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

Saying someone dependent on alcohol (no comment on specific posters here, it seems the conversation has become more general than that) should 'just stop' drinking is pretty similar to saying that depressed people should just cheer up. 

A lot of people can just stop, and that's great for them, addiction is a real thing though, it's fairly naive to just think that because you find something easy to do, it must be equally easy for everyone.

Sums it up nicely.

Sorry Tone, but it's incredibly naive.

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Saying someone dependent on alcohol (no comment on specific posters here, it seems the conversation has become more general than that) should 'just stop' drinking is pretty similar to saying that depressed people should just cheer up. 

A lot of people can just stop, and that's great for them, addiction is a real thing though, it's fairly naive to just think that because you find something easy to do, it must be equally easy for everyone.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Sums it up nicely.

Sorry Tone, but it's incredibly naive.

it's not really remotely close to what I said though , so Davkaus has put words in my mouth here (not intentionally, it could be just the way I've written my OP)

Edit - to clarify we weren't talking about addictions or dependency  in the original instance , I was sorta asking whats the difference between 1 day and 5 days  ..or more

Edited by tonyh29

39 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

but all I'm asking is why ? why do so many people give up smoking and then start again within a few days , why do so many people go on a diet and then break it 2 days later .... if you can go 1 day without a cigarette , why can't you go 2 , or 3 or 33   ... if someone can go 12 hours without smoking on a long haul flight , why do they then have to light up within 30 secs of getting into a fresh air zone  ... whats the difference between 12 hours and 12 hours and 1 minute

Perhaps an analogy is like "if you can go 4 hours without a meal, then why do you have to go for some scoff the minute you see a restaurant? - i.e. it's a kind of hunger that "grows"? Isn't drugs and tabs and drink and suchlike, known as being addictive - addictive means it's not "easy" to break a dependence/habit (for most people).

Some people physiologically and psychologically won't ever get addicted to drink or tabs or whatever, and so can stop when they want, and others might desperately want to, but find it immensely challenging. Or as others have said "people aren't all the same".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Edit - to clarify we weren't talking about addictions or dependency  in the original instance , I was sorta asking whats the difference between 1 day and 5 days  ..or more

Fair point, that's not really what I took from your post the first time around.

Apart from just outright addiction (be it psychological or physiological), I think there's also just reliance upon substances as a coping mechanism.

I don't drink at all anymore, I was never actually addicted, as far as I could tell, and I could easily go a week without drinking without any sort of craving. Then I'd have a shitty day, and that'd be all it'd take to think "there's no way I'm getting through this without a drink", which invariably lead to drinking until I passed out. Some people have their own triggers.

The fact that double pressing space bar on my PC keyboard doesn't result in a full stop.

Eh? Why would it? And how is two presses better than one on the full stop key?

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's a Blackberry/iPhone phone thing, double tapping space creates a full stop and the following space. It saves literally milliseconds.

Edit: Heh, does it on Android as well, I never knew that.

Edited by Davkaus

The fact that double pressing space bar on my PC keyboard doesn't result in a full stop.

It's not really. Just that my touch screen typing habits are creeping into my "proper" typing.

I'm going to defend Tony here (someone has to :P) as what I think he means is that plenty of people are giving up booze for January without issue so why can't Ruge? I drank a fair amount before Xmas but haven't drunk this year. I enjoy a drink but can stop easy because I'm not dependant on drink. I never read it as Ruge/A N Other was addicted/dependant on drink to get through life, just that he liked to drink every now and again. 

If that's not the case then I agree with the other posters, its simply not that easy to stop and give up. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm going to defend Tony here (someone has to :P) as what I think he means is that plenty of people are giving up booze for January without issue so why can't Ruge? I drank a fair amount before Xmas but haven't drunk this year. I enjoy a drink but can stop easy because I'm not dependant on drink. I never read it as Ruge/A N Other was addicted/dependant on drink to get through life, just that he liked to drink every now and again. 

If that's not the case then I agree with the other posters, its simply not that easy to stop and give up. 

finally a sane voice :D

tbf  that's what I thought I was saying    .... I didn't think dependency or addiction was the discussion when I made my post  ( but I was also on a conference call when I posted so maybe I need to double check !!  )

29 minutes ago, Eames said:

http://lifehacker.com/enable-autocorrect-on-your-desktop-with-chrome-1491554790

Enable Autocorrect on Your Desktop with Chrome

I'm not going to quote more as there's a whole forum for that stuff.

2 hours ago, YLN said:

I suppose I don't really have a point to make here, other than it's odd that you think that just because you can do something, you assume that everyone can do it as well. Let's say you and your friend were out swimming off a row boat in the middle of the sea, and you see a shark in the distance coming towards the two of you very slowly. Your friend is a natural athlete. 6 foot 4 just like his father. Now, while your friend's mother brought him to swimming lessons and rowing lessons every weekend, your mother was a bit of a drinker who was too hungover to bring you anywhere at the weekend. Your friend swims with consummate ease to the row boat while you're doing the doggy paddle and not getting anywhere near the boat. Your friend could easily row the boat over to you and pull you aboard before the shark arrives, but instead is just sitting back wondering why you are having such trouble. He's also feeling a good deal of smug satisfaction at your struggle, knowing that he was able to get to the boat so easily.

I guess naive is the word.

wow why not just call me a word removed and be done with it  ..... nothing I posted warranted that ( I missed the chance to play the original video that you've now removed but presumably it was equally as insulting ?)  .. I wasn't being smug , I posted a question to BOF  , why  ? and asked 12 hours 12000 whats' the difference

that the thread seemed to then turn into me being John Gregory and Ruge Stan Collymore wasn't of my doing , there is a world of difference between what I said and what seems to have been purported I said ....  Xela seems to have understood what I was saying , I'm not really sure why it went down any other way ?

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â