Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

That's because everyone since has tried to copy them, because they were trailblazers for pop.  Their melodies are still "modern", they were the first to do things that are still used now and that's why they're so legendary/respected/popular.

In NYC it's like they're still about, there's so much Beatles stuff in shops, the streets etc.

• Like 2

There's a Beatles shop on Baker Street up that London.

On the 2 or 3 occasions I've been passing, it's appeared to be rammed full of tourists buying postcards of John Lennon and little model mystery tour buses. On Oxford Street last week, every tourist tat shop had Beatles mirrors and yellow submarine clocks.

Paul McCartney would turn in his grave. 

• Like 1

The way that certain young female singers, in what I can only guess is an attempt to be seen as 'alternative', sing the last word of a line in a song in a really, really weird way, putting on some sort of non-existent accent. For example, the way whoever it is sings "down" in the new John Lewis **** advert. 

• Like 2

I must have mentioned it before cause I'm still irritated by it but I held a door open for a women who acknowledged me by saying " I'm perfectly capable of opening my own doors"

I genuinely have no idea how I'd react in that situation.  I say that because I can't rule out blurting something along the lines of "oh well now that I know you're a word removed I won't do it the next time" and it would be completely reactionary.

I know I've cited this example before in this thread but I used to work with a militant feminist who'd always sniffily remark "You don't have to open the door for me because I'm a woman". My response was always " No, I have to hold the door for you because I'm a gentleman and my parents brought me up to be polite".

"Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were a man. I hold doors open for anyone."

• Like 2

That's because everyone since has tried to copy them, because they were trailblazers for pop.  Their melodies are still "modern", they were the first to do things that are still used now and that's why they're so legendary/respected/popular.

In NYC it's like they're still about, there's so much Beatles stuff in shops, the streets etc.

Not having a go at you Lapal, but this is one of the things that actually does piss me off.

I'm fine with people liking/loving whatever music and artists they choose, but it's the over-egging off stuff like that which is a cause of irritation. Everyone has tried to copy the Beatles in the same way that everyone wants Man Utd. to do well.

Have more likes than the software will allow

Not having a go at you Lapal, but this is one of the things that actually does piss me off.

I'm fine with people liking/loving whatever music and artists they choose, but it's the over-egging off stuff like that which is a cause of irritation. Everyone has tried to copy the Beatles in the same way that everyone wants Man Utd. to do well.

Hi blandy,

It's a fair point, but they did happen to be in an era where digitization/manipulation of sounds were possible for the first time.  Much like someone like Hendrix on the guitar with all his reverb etc.  I don't think that makes them (among others of that era) any less pioneering, after all, they had to make those new sounds into a palatable song for people to purchase, and they were the best ever at it.

• Like 1

Yeah I'd agree with that, it might be the Beatles that get the credit because it was stuff used by them when in reality it probably should go to the likes of George Martin, but my basic understanding is that the Beatles recording sessions pioneered a lot of stuff

• Like 1

hmmm, I was going to write a line about the Beatles not really innovating much. A quick bit of online checking and it appears the first known piece of feedback used on a record was at the start of 1964's 'I feel fine'. Feedback on an electric guitar. Now that kicked off a whole lot of stuff from that point...

• Like 1

The best thing that ever happened the Beatles' careers was the Buddy Holly plane crash, because he was about to change music (indeed he had started already) in the way that many claim the Beatles did years later.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â