Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

You get all the sugar you need from eating fruit in a healthy balanced diet.

'All the sugar you need' suggests we shouldn't come round to your house for a dinner party. ;)

(I accept I probably wouldn't be invited anyway)

Of course, I'm a massive hypocrite. 

In which case I'd feel very much at home. :D

Yes eating sugar and lots of meat isn't especially good for you. You should try and limit it. That's about as far as it needs to go.

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.  

Disagree with everything you've said there. Apart from the not eating too much bit. Nothing wrong with eating a decent amount of meat and nothing inherently unhealthy about sugar.

Added sugar is bad for you, end of. Small amounts of naturally occuring fructose in eg fruit don't do any serious harm. 

Agreed.

With the greatest respect, you're both totally wrong. Precisely how is sugar bad for you? Go on. 

Oh and I can name many nutritional experts who share this view. I didn't pluck this information from thin air. "End of". 

This could go on a while as we're probably arguing semantics.

I'll concede that 'inherently unhealthy' in itself is correct. But my view is also not 'totally wrong'.

To debate correctly the evils or merits of sugar, you need to define what sugar is, because it refers to a wide range of substances. The body and especially the brain needs sugar to function, so that part means sugar is absolutely good.

However, it fuels obesity, it's addictive, people very rarely get the right amount, refined sugar is all kinds of bad for all of the additives such as sulphur etc. You get all the sugar you need from eating fruit in a healthy balanced diet.

So, as a general statement, I stand by 'sugar isn't especially good for you', because it isn't.

Thanks for a well-reasoned response (no sarcasm). 

I agree that to an extent we are arguing over semantics. But that's the whole crux of it isn't it? And kind of proves my point. I would certainly agree that "sugar isn't especially good for you" as it has very few beneficial nutritional properties and it rates very low on the satiety (fill you up) scale so weak-willed/uninformed/apathetic people will invariably eat more of it to satisfy hunger. There are certainly more beneficial ways to consume carbohydrates (i.e. fibre). However, there is absolutely nothing in any form of sugar that is toxic or will cause you any harm if consuming sensible amounts. But that applies to literally everything! Hell, even water is toxic if consumed to excess! Sugar does not fuel obesity. Caloric excess/sedentary lifestyles do. It just so happens that fatties tend to like sweets :) . That said, there was a study that showed that the amount of sugar in the average American diet has decreased in the period that obesity has soared. There have also been studies where subjects have consumed up to 43% of their daily calories from SUCROSE while in a caloric deficit and there has been no detriment to any health markers. 

Oh and, crucially, I think there is a difference between "addictive" and highly palatable :)

Yes eating sugar and lots of meat isn't especially good for you. You should try and limit it. That's about as far as it needs to go.

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.  

Disagree with everything you've said there. Apart from the not eating too much bit. Nothing wrong with eating a decent amount of meat and nothing inherently unhealthy about sugar.

Then you disagree with every nutritional expert in the world.

and I'm sure every time you buy their book or supplements their bank managers thank you 

its quite simples ... eat what you want just make sure you don't eat to much of it ... Just because you saw Andy Murray munching on a banana before he won Wombledon doesn't mean you have to 

And as a bonus  the good thing about eating what you want is you get to eat crispy pig crackling instead of sitting there miserable  because some  nutritionist told you should eat a handful of seeds instead 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I don't want to live in a world that says we shouldn't eat meat, or sugar. Is this Cameron Britain?

I stopped eating bread with sugar in it for toast and stopped adding sugar to my morning coffee, also started drinking seltzer instead of OJ in the AM

I basically eliminated big helping of sugar from my daily diet. I ended up losing weight, just shedding pounds, about 10 in total.

So sugar can go do one, IFAIC

• Like 1

Depends when they catch me. I can do all that cheery stuff but if you get me too early I'm not gifted at hiding utter contempt either default_smile.png

if they catch me in a good mood I will answer them and sometimes throw in a wonderful lie, other times I put my change back in my wallet cut my eyes and walk out the shop

Do you put coins in your wallet or just notes?

Depends when they catch me. I can do all that cheery stuff but if you get me too early I'm not gifted at hiding utter contempt either default_smile.png

if they catch me in a good mood I will answer them and sometimes throw in a wonderful lie, other times I put my change back in my wallet cut my eyes and walk out the shop

Coins don't belong in a wallet. 

I hate people with big wallets :D

stuffed-costanza-wallet.png

• Like 2

Coins don't belong in a wallet. 

I hate people with big wallets :D

stuffed-costanza-wallet.png

• Like 1

It's great now that people actually know it exists.

A couple of years ago, when you had to ask the cashier if you could use contactless and then they'd stare at you blankly while you explained what they had to do to let you use it, it was kind of pointless.

The few remaining places I frequent which don't yet have it are always very sheepish when apologising for the oversight. I bet they're all frantically ringing up their card services provider to get a new machine in asap.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â