Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Grown men who pay for single beers with a credit card. Embarrassing.

I occasionally do this. If work are paying for me to spend a week away from home, I'm going to claim for everything I can, meaning I'll pay on card and keep the receipts, even if it's for a single drink!

I used to work at a KFC and I once had one guy paying for a BBQ wrap(99p) with his card. His card then got declined.

I felt so sorry for the bloke.

• Like 1

So there we were last night, looking for something to watch on TV, and the missus says: "I fancy watching an Ingmar Bergman movie - have you got any on DVD?"

Surprisingly, I haven't. I knew that NetFlix is too resolutely lowbrow to have such a thing, but then I had a barinwave - complete movies on YouTube! Sure enough, several B&W Bergman classics from the 60s. So we settle down to watch "Winter Light".

Now this film is not exactly a barrel of laughs, but hey, it's Bergman. And it's only 1 hr 20 minutes.

Except for one thing - the YouTube version is 1 hr 15 minutes - it stops just short of the end. Whaaaat??? Checking the user comments (why didn't I do that first) several people complain about it. FFS.

Wild Strawberries is an ideal film for your time of life. :)

Seen it.

And I've just binned NetFlix and switched to Amazon Prime, which will now finally work with Chromecast (and coincidentally, has a few Bergmans).

Actually (this is really for the tech thread, but it does piss me off a bit), Amazon Prime doesn't really work with Chromecast, except insofar as you can cast the webpage showing the video - but that means it's affected by the performance inadequacies of your laptop or phone, and said device has to stay on the video at all times. Still works pretty well, but not as well as the dedicated Netflix/YouTube/BBC iPlayer 'direct to Chromecast' connection. 

Looks like I need to bin the Chromecast and get a Fire Stick. 

I occasionally do this. If work are paying for me to spend a week away from home, I'm going to claim for everything I can, meaning I'll pay on card and keep the receipts, even if it's for a single drink!

A lot of bars accept contactless now so its quicker to pay on card then fiddle about with cash.

• Like 1

The rules of cool definitely dictate that paying the right way is essential to complete the perfect tableau.

Having watched countless movie stars show how it is done, it seems that paying must be done with a minimum of fuss: clicking a coin onto the counter, or leaving a note under a glass, is cool but neither Humphrey Bogart or John Wayne can ever be seen getting change.

I don't think I ever saw Norm Peterson even pay because it would have been too uncool.

Using a credit card is just too fussy but it is still more acceptable than paying out of a change purse.

Rules on just what drinks men are allowed to order for themselves are even more rigid. :)

• Like 1

You can use both....
Just had a look, and there are indeed two USB slots in the back of the TV - but they are VERY close together, so there may not be room side by side. We shall see...

The rules of cool definitely dictate that paying the right way is essential to complete the perfect tableau.

Having watched countless movie stars show how it is done, it seems that paying must be done with a minimum of fuss: clicking a coin onto the counter, or leaving a note under a glass, is cool but neither Humphrey Bogart or John Wayne can ever be seen getting change.

I don't think I ever saw Norm Peterson even pay because it would have been too uncool.

Using a credit card is just too fussy but it is still more acceptable than paying out of a change purse.

Rules on just what drinks men are allowed to order for themselves are even more rigid. :)

when I make one of my ever rarer visits down the dockside to the Railwayman's Club...

ark-bar_229226.jpg

• Like 2

You can use both....
Just had a look, and there are indeed two USB slots in the back of the TV - but they are VERY close together, so there may not be room side by side. We shall see...

These devices do not use a USB slot, but this is way off topic.

Men in their mid twenties wearing full tracksuits.

Any adult wearing a tracksuit in public that is not exercising or not on their way to/from a place of exercise.

You can use both....
These devices do not use a USB slot, but this is way off topic.

Even so, a couple(or one) of USB extension cables or swivel adapters would solve that.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â