Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Yeah there's 2 abuses of 'what'. There's replacing 'that' with 'what' like above, and there's adding a completely superfluous one to a sentence like what I just did here.  Strictly speaking, grammatically the latter is probably just about OK in that it isn't breaking any rules, even if it sounds strange and makes the person sound a little less bright.  The former though.  I'll be kind and assume it must be a dialect thing in certain places, because it does tend to be used more commonly by certain accents.

Companies that blatantly change your email settings every now and then so you start getting spam again.

Tapatalk being the latest culprit.

Just **** off.

• Like 2

Someone on Facebook posted

"Dont normally like Fleetwood Mac but think I will get their latest album" Their latest album is a greatest hits, if you dont normally like Fleetwood Mac, surely a greatest **** hits is the last thing you would get.

• Like 1

My wife, who is otherwise very well spoken, says "used of it" instead of "used to it".

It **** drives me mental.

I have no idea where she gets it from because neither of her parents do it.

I've started interrupting the conversation to correct her every single time.

One that gets me is the "Let's see where we're at" turn of phrase which has almost completely replaced "Let's see where we are".  Bloody yanks :)

My particular bugbear is people who say "Can I get"

And anyone who says "like" around 100 times in each sentence

Beat me to it, I was just about to post about "can I get". Really irritates me.

The prepositions thing seems to be a common divergence between American and British English. 

A Brit will write TO you, an American will write you. 

A Brit will protest ABOUT something, an American will protest something. 

But...

A Brit will visit you, and American will visit WITH you. 

• Like 1

On my drive home from work, I drive past a house with a van that has the Wolves badge on it. It's some self-employed dingle who's business has the tag line 'No job to big or small' on the van.

Every day I drive past and think of shouting out the window that he's missing an 'o'.

In the last week or two, he's now had that tag line written on a car that is occasionally parked outside his house too. Plonker.

Edited by Rob182

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â