Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The fact that today I found out I was up for a monthly salary as a bonus. All of the Team Leaders supported it and put my name forward. It got to the "power that be" who said no as she already has someone in mind. It really irks me. She hasn't listened to her lower management chain at all. Just to point out, I'm a civil servant on a paltry wage and haven't seen a bonus (let alone a proper increase in wages) for the past 5 years. I've been on secondment to an operational HQ for the past 4 years (only recently returning to a new team) and worked my bloody arse off whilst setting up new procedures to build the capability of the team. I've done more than what was expected of me and haven't sat there on my desk waiting for work to come in. Out of sight, out of mind. It stinks.

/rant over.

EDIT: Cheers Snowy :D

I hope you've moved several steps along in your exit strategy. It sounds like a relationship which has run its course.

Yep, it's certainly feeling that way. To make a point to the management I've decided that I'm going to apply for promotion through "the board" to see how I'm supported. If I'm right then I'll at least make the sift and then it's up to me to not make a complete fool of myself in the interview. Time will tell.

The cream always rises to the top mate, keep doing the right thing and you'll get what you deserve in the end
  • Like 1

The way society view professional gamblers. Its a joke. Instantly thought of as a degenerate whos addicted to poker and somehow cant be trusted as much.
The fact i cant put 'professional (or ex) poker player" as a job on my CV even though its probably took more hard work and dedication to get where i am compared to what most people have had to do to put a previous job on their CV with it taking more mental brain power/stress. 
When people say "are you going to get a real job" as if it isnt a real job. **** off. How is a boring fixed 9-5 job with 4 weeks of freedom a year constantly being pushed over a job where i can earn whenever/where ever i want?

The most frustrating part is that its usually those who do gambling for a hobby (obviously a minority of those people) which give professional gamblers a bad name because people/society cant distinguish between the two. 
And then they usually go play the lottery every week and not realise thats gambling...

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

Nothing. Im always thinking about how my CV is empty but uni education and thinking what i should be doing to put something on it if i ever need to apply for a job (which i will because poker wont be around forever). Its just frustrating that i have to think about volunteer work or w/e so there isnt a gap when theres a perfectly good/acceptable reason why there is one in the first place. And then having to do volunteer work will then decrease my hourly $ as it takes up playing/studying time

Edited by gharperr

The way society view professional gamblers. Its a joke. Instantly thought of as a degenerate whos addicted to poker and somehow cant be trusted as much.

The fact i cant put 'professional (or ex) poker player" as a job on my CV even though its probably took more hard work and dedication to get where i am compared to what most people have had to do to put a previous job on their CV with it taking more mental brain power/stress.

When people say "are you going to get a real job" as if it isnt a real job. **** off. How is a boring fixed 9-5 job with 4 weeks of freedom a year constantly being pushed over a job where i can earn whenever/where ever i want?

The most frustrating part is that its usually those who do gambling for a hobby (obviously a minority of those people) which give professional gamblers a bad name because people/society cant distinguish between the two.

And then they usually go play the lottery every week and not realise thats gambling...

Yours is probably the only example I can think of where I'd lie and write "student " instead :)

hipsters, it takes a lot of effort to look like you don't care

lambert-keane.jpg

great beard by keano.

embarrassing how lambert copied him. what a sad and depressing photo. shudder

An unidentified leak in my house while I've been away.

It's leaked into the hall and made the whole of one wall yellow.

But the most annoying thing is I can't tell where it came from. It has stopped now. I've used absolutely everything I can think of that might use water and can't seem to replicate any leaks.

So I don't really know what to do about it!

Sounds like a dripping radiator

It's not really in the right place for it to have been a radiator. But again I've checked the ones upstairs and they all seem to be fine.

Annoying me now!

I wouldnt worry about it...if you ever do need/want to look for a job you just need to focus on getting a job with a company which willl value those skills.

I'm thinking the city would be very interested and wouldnt view that type of activity as a "gap". Especially as you've shown you can do it successfully and all off your own back.

Forgot this one, been saving it up since Saturday.

Leaving Mexico you have to pay an exit tax but our airline didn't include it in the ticket price so everyone on their flights has to pay it in cash when they leave.

In the queue to check in at Cancun airport there were two stereotypical moronic english blokes having a conversation and I was dying to step in and tell them how stupid they were being.

There were three main points I had issue with

"only bloody country in the world where you have to pay to leave!" - not true. Loads of countries have a departure tax, including the UK!

"and they only charge us brits. I don't see them charging it to any other planes leaving to other countries" - bollocks. Everyone pays it.

and the cream of the crop:

"They should do that in England. Stop all those illegals coming to the country" - firstly, we do do it in the UK. Secondly, how would an exit tax stop people COMING to the country? Surely it would encourage them to stay, if anything?

Oh, and what did one of the blokes have tattooed on his calf?

A Birmingham City badge.

Morons

• Like 2

I would have thought that's the "taxes" part of the "taxes and charges" on the ticket?  Cheap ass airline to land that one on you at the airport though.

Yep that's exactly it. It's included in the ticket price most of the time.

To be fair, they do tell you about it when you book the holiday and you're reminded several times. It wasn't sprung on us at the airport.

But there's no real explanation as to why Thomson do it that way (Nobody else seems to) other than to make their tickets look cheaper.

I'd argue that when you're selling an all inclusive holiday at the money it costs, an extra £40 is neither here nor there on the price. But I guess everything counts.

When I went to Kenya we were whacked with a number of innovative taxes.

Everyone had to pay an 'arrival' tax, in dollars.

Everyone with a camera or a video camera (i.e., everyone) had to pay a 'tech' tax, in dollars.

Anyone that randomly had a chalk 'x' put on their baggabe had to pay 'chalk x' tax, in dollars. The main factor for receiving the chalk x appeared to be if the bag was dark and made of a material where chalk could leave a mark. Shiny, metallic finish bags or light coloured bags appeared to be exempt.

All these taxes were collected by a small group of men in military uniform with guns and mirror finish sunglasses.

We went to a zoo type place in Mombasa and on the big board outside were the entry prices:

local black visitor £1

black tourist £3

white £10

I think it was an attempt at being fair, I think it was a crude attempt to charge what they believed you could afford. A couple of black americans were charged the white price, for being american. They must have loved that.

I've heard India does the same kind of institutional racism with its pricing too.  Hilarious how its seen as a perfectly reasonable solution in this day and age.  As for your chalk X taxes.  I've heard so many stories like that about people who've been to various parts of Africa where you just have to go with whatever they've decided you pay that day.  I would hope it's not as bad as the stories I keep hearing, but from where I'm sat it certainly sounds anecdotally as if it's utterly rotten to the core.

When I went to Kenya we were whacked with a number of innovative taxes.

Everyone had to pay an 'arrival' tax, in dollars.

Everyone with a camera or a video camera (i.e., everyone) had to pay a 'tech' tax, in dollars.

Anyone that randomly had a chalk 'x' put on their baggabe had to pay 'chalk x' tax, in dollars. The main factor for receiving the chalk x appeared to be if the bag was dark and made of a material where chalk could leave a mark. Shiny, metallic finish bags or light coloured bags appeared to be exempt.

All these taxes were collected by a small group of men in military uniform with guns and mirror finish sunglasses.

We went to a zoo type place in Mombasa and on the big board outside were the entry prices:

local black visitor £1

black tourist £3

white £10

I think it was an attempt at being fair, I think it was a crude attempt to charge what they believed you could afford. A couple of black americans were charged the white price, for being american. They must have loved that.

That is one of the most bizarre things I've read in a while!  :blink:

Absolutely everything was a form of barter and negotiation, from airport taxes to bus fare, entry to attractions, the price of a bottle of water, the lot.

You get used to it very quickly. After a few days you carry a small amount of cash in your pocket and the rest elsewhere, in your sock or whatever. Then, whatever price you're quoted for anything, you open your wallet and show the $7 dollars you have left and shrug. Invariably the $7 is enough.

On our last day we traded all our (used) clothes except what we were stood up in for souvenirs from the beach shops. It's the most I've ever got for my used knickers.

See I hate that kind of barter/negotiation. It's why I think I'd absolutely hate going to places like the bazaars in Morocco etc. It's my nightmare.

I've heard India does the same kind of institutional racism with its pricing too.  Hilarious how its seen as a perfectly reasonable solution in this day and age. 

Same in Thailand. There's one price for Thai people and one for "tourists" at most attractions.

A good friend of my sister lives in Thailand, and has done for  nearly 10 years. Her family visited her recently and she booked them in to go on some sort of boat ride, paid over the phone etc and got the Thai price because she speaks Thai.

When they turned up and it was a family of quite clearly non Thai people they weren't let on until they paid the full price. She negotiated it to half or something in the end, but they're obviously pretty strict about it.

As Chrisp said, I think it's a lame attempt at making it fairer. Tourists to Thailand are generally much better off than Thai people.

But it certainly comes across as having a pretty racist element to it.

See I hate that kind of barter/negotiation. It's why I think I'd absolutely hate going to places like the bazaars in Morocco etc. It's my nightmare.

Nah I love that. Not for everyday things, but for market places and bazaars it's great.

And generally much easier than people think.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â