Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I think it's genuine.

I'm hoping it's just a brain fart.

In that they were going for "oh I should have done the challenge to raise money because now I have the condition and it would have benefited me directly"

as opposed to "oh I didn't do it and the consequences of that have directly led me to getting the condition."

But it certainly comes across as the latter!

It definitely doesn't come across as that at all. He's just pointing out the irony of it.

I think it's genuine.

In that they were going for "oh I should have done the challenge to raise money because now I have the condition and it would have benefited me directly"

as opposed to "oh I didn't do it and the consequences of that have directly led me to getting the condition."

Charities are just annoying anyway and they are not beyond using any form of manipulation and pressure to extract money from people.

That lady Olive Cooke was virtually hounded to her death because she was identified as a soft target by institutionalised chugging.

When charities use mass marketing techniques and psychological manipulation the result is very brutal and ugly.

I think it's genuine.

It definitely doesn't come across as that at all. He's just pointing out the irony of it.

Well it clearly does, given the number of people who have taken it that way.

On a sort of similar note, in that it involves adverts, this YSL advert has been banned because the model appears to be "unhealthily underweight"

1000.jpg

I wonder how massive the backlash would have been if they'd banned an advert for having an "unhealthily overweight" model would have been?

• Like 3

On a sort of similar note, in that it involves adverts, this YSL advert has been banned because the model appears to be "unhealthily underweight"

1000.jpg

I wonder how massive the backlash would have been if they'd banned an advert for having an "unhealthily overweight" model would have been?

I take the point but no girl/woman is going to look at a picture of an "unhealthily overweight" model and feel under pressure to achieve that body image. 

What there is  is a pressure for girls and young women to achieve a body like that above - regardless of their body shape/metabolism/lifestyle and the associated extremes girls/women will go to - and that is a problem. 

• Like 2

I think there's pressure on women to look a certain way, but I don't think it's like the woman in that photo.

I don't really know how I feel about it. But the message does seem to be a little bit blurred. Be happy with what you look like, unless you're really thin. In that case it's banned.

Some girls look like the above because of a weight problem the same way as some girls are heavy because of a weight problem. Both are unhealthy.

I assume it was banned because having a model look like that might persuade girls to become unhealthily underweight. but how is that different to the plus size models that we see so much of these days? Isn't that encouraging girls to look like those models, which is just as unhealthy, arguably more so.

Just seems that if that advert had a 400 pound morbidly obese woman on it it would be met with "fair play! be happy with how you look" etc etc

Whereas being in that state is far more unhealthy than looking like the girl in this photo

• Like 1

But a 400 pound morbidly obese woman is never going to inspire young girls to look the same way. Whereas ads, such as this, models, like the one in the picture are part of the problem that cause body issues among young females.

• Like 1

I think there's pressure on women to look a certain way, but I don't think it's like the woman in that photo.

I don't really know how I feel about it. But the message does seem to be a little bit blurred. Be happy with what you look like, unless you're really thin. In that case it's banned.

Some girls look like the above because of a weight problem the same way as some girls are heavy because of a weight problem. Both are unhealthy.

I assume it was banned because having a model look like that might persuade girls to become unhealthily underweight. but how is that different to the plus size models that we see so much of these days? Isn't that encouraging girls to look like those models, which is just as unhealthy, arguably more so.

Just seems that if that advert had a 400 pound morbidly obese woman on it it would be met with "fair play! be happy with how you look" etc etc

Whereas being in that state is far more unhealthy than looking like the girl in this photo

I think it depends how you define "plus" size. IIRC anyone over a size 8 in the UK is considered a plus size  model. Which is obviously wrong in of itself. To represent anyone above the size of an overfed stick insect as somehow outside of societies norms is extremely damaging - just as much as representing some 400lb monster as normal and healthy. 

But a 400 pound morbidly obese woman is never going to inspire young girls to look the same way. Whereas ads, such as this, models, like the one in the picture are part of the problem that cause body issues among young females.

They would if they were placed in an ad like this.

Which is what has happened here. A very thin model has been placed in an advert. Therefore that is inspiring women to look like that.

If you put a fat woman there then you'd be inspiring women to look fat.

Whereas this gets slated and the fat woman would get applauded. 

Both are unhealthy.

For example, Tess Holliday is a model. She's been on People Magazine's front cover

rs_634x950-150303105750-634-2tess-holida

cover-768.jpg

She is applauded. It is hailed as a victory for plus sized women. And that's fair enough. I don't disagree that it is a good thing for women of all sizes to be models.

But I can guarantee you she is a lot less healthy than the girl in the YLS advert.

"You can be beautiful regardless of your size"

Unless you're size is too skinny, apparently.

Edited by Stevo985

I think it's genuine.

Well it clearly does, given the number of people who have taken it that way.

Strange, if true.

Earlier on I moved my bedroom around yo make space for when I get my keyboard on the weekend, I haven't changed my room in 6 years, my bed is in the wrong place and it doesn't feel right being in this position.

It's been a week and a half since the Premier League season ended. It's been 5 days since the Cup Final. According to the VT Forum, we should have already signed a million and one players, all our best players are off, we won't sign anyone, and we're doomed. Why do I bother? Should have learned by now. :(

real life apathy

a bit of not local to you, local politics for you:

A few schools are planned to be merged here, the final upshot of which will be a 2,400 pupil english language mega comprehensive. Locally this has kicked off a social media storm of people mouthing off for and against it - without the benefit of any actual facts.

We managed to arrange for some public consultation to calm people down and get actual facts (or lack of facts) out in the open, for or against. A large hall was hired, the council and politicians agreed to attend, tables were put out. People braced themselves......

Including me, three parents turned up.

All that internet rage and people that knew they would be better at organising a drink in a brewery, all those smart arses, all those people with a chance to actually stand in the room, eye to eye and vent their frustrations. All turned into three people.

Doubtless once the plans are finalised they'll all be on facebook again moaning to each other.

• Like 1

It's been a week and a half since the Premier League season ended. It's been 5 days since the Cup Final. According to the VT Forum, we should have already signed a million and one players, all our best players are off, we won't sign anyone, and we're doomed. Why do I bother? Should have learned by now. :(

You can never understand madness and insanity. No matter how much of it you read.

• Like 1

This 'storm' about a bloody maths GCSE question (and not a hard one at that).

Edit: Probably not really a storm and more my fault for being up too early and having breakfast news on in the corner since it came on at 6.

Edited by snowychap

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â