Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The ridiculous faux outrage that has been caused by people being 'offended' over a protein supplement advert.

If you haven't seen it, it's a poster of a slim model with the caption "Are you beach body ready". This has caused people to deface these ads on the London tube/underground and has sparked a petition.

I'm not sure what the protesters thought this kind of pathetic action would achieve, all they've done is provide free publicity to the company (Protein World) and driven an uplift in their sales.

I'm with the "faux outraged" women on this one.

Even at 4 years old my eldest daughter is aware that to be "pretty" you have to be "skinny" (not my doing at all BTW) so anything that encourages a more positive body image or gives the impression that "meal replacement supplements" are not a healthy alternative to portion control and exercise get my vote.

Good on them and from his comments in the press the CEO sounds like a gigantic arsehole.

The twitter response from the company is unacceptable.

But in general I think that is outrage aimed at the wrong place.

I don't know exactly what the products in question are, but protein supplements and meal replacements are not encouraging starvation. Quite the opposite. it's encouraging dieting, but meal replacements are the opposite of starvation, if anything. It's actively encouraging adding calories by meeting a protein goal. This is people misunderstanding what the products are.

To me the model in question is the picture of healthiness. For women to aspire to look like that is not a bad thing. It's the stick thin, childlike bodies of catwalk models where the outrage should be aimed.

it may be slightly obnoxious marketing, but being "beach body ready" is a phrase that has been around for decades. Whilst I agree that women should be happy with the way they look, however they look, I don't think products aimed at women who want to achievethe look in question is such a bad thing.

Just as products aimed at getting people richer, or healthier, or stronger, or faster, or better looking, or better dressed aren't bad things, even though people should be happy with the way they are.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

The main issue for me is the product they've chosen rather than the "Beach body ready" thing. That slogan next to "The slender blend" is an unmistakeable message.

Positive advertising for women to encourage lifestyle change can be done and done well ref: "This Girl Can" the as and the subsequent response by the company are totally unacceptable.

Yeah I really don't see what's wrong with that.

Like I said, "Beach Body Ready" is a long used phrase, meaning the body you want to have when you go to the beach.

For most people that will involve losing weight.

Those are products that help.

What's the problem?

• Like 1

Wonderful 'obsidian' sparkly black metallic paintwork, but with an almost white base coat underneath it. Every now and again, a couple of times a year, when I want something mindless but therapeutic to do, I go out the garage and black up

Just the fact it has a fancy name annoys me! I went from a diamond schwartz black car to an obsidian black car - what's wrong with normal black! 

The ridiculous faux outrage that has been caused by people being 'offended' over a protein supplement advert.

If you haven't seen it, it's a poster of a slim model with the caption "Are you beach body ready". This has caused people to deface these ads on the London tube/underground and has sparked a petition.

I'm not sure what the protesters thought this kind of pathetic action would achieve, all they've done is provide free publicity to the company (Protein World) and driven an uplift in their sales.

Well done protein world - they've got exactly what they wanted, loads of publicity. I think fat acceptance is more dangerous than encouraging people to get in shape and be healthy

I wonder if the women protest when their favourite glossy mags write about having beach bodies?

fySgB5O.jpg

Like I said, "Beach Body Ready" is a long used phrase, meaning the body you want to have when you go to the beach.

What's the problem?

I don't deny they'd help.....but that product is clearly not aimed at someone whose size 18 looking to shit a few pounds for her holiday.

The marketing also implies that if you don't look like the model you're not "Beach Ready" which is bollocks.

What's the problem?

I don't deny they'd help.....but that product is clearly not aimed at someone whose size 18 looking to shit a few pounds for her holiday.

The marketing also implies that if you don't look like the model you're not "Beach Ready" which is bollocks. 

Who is it aimed at then?

Genuine question. If it's not aimed at overweight women then who is it aimed at?

I disagree with your second point. I think that's where the problem has arisen. People have inferred what they want from that. "Beach ready" does refer to aiming for the "perfect" body. But it doesn't mean you're not allowed on the beach if you don't look like that. It's just a saying. And as the picture Xela posted above shows, it's a widely used phrase.

I also don't see the problem in holding up the body in question as something you should be aiming for. It's not unhealthy.

Edited by Stevo985

Just for reference, it wasn't just women in the adverts. There were adverts with men with toned bodies as well. I don't see any men complaining that the six pack adorned models make them feel bad. 

As an aside it's pretty obvious Protein World obviously didn't think their model was beach ready either, given they felt the need to Photoshop the crap out of her picture.

On average I get through about 1 new windscreen per year. I save up the little chips and get a new screen shortly before the MOT.

Front of my car is beginning to look a bit like I've re entered orbit at too steep an angle.

Wonderful 'obsidian' sparkly black metallic paintwork, but with an almost white base coat underneath it. Every now and again, a couple of times a year, when I want something mindless but therapeutic to do, I go out the garage and black up

all the little white chips n dings.

One a year? Really? In 30 years of motoring I've never had to replace or repair a windscreen! (Tempting fate, or what?)
Few years back I had a brand new Ford Focus and managed to write the windscreen off in the first week (huge stone flicked up on the motorway). Not needed another since although I do have 2 small chips in my current car which I should really get looked at but one is right at the top and one way over the passenger side so doesn't bother me...

Was reading about this and somehow the article managed to get Katie Hopkins in on the act , her quote was "feminism is no excuse for being fat "

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â