Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

This business of "supporting" foreign teams. I just don't get it (non-British Villa fans are exempt, naturally).

Because some of us watch them every week because they play the best football and they have the best player in the world who is amazing to watch.

That seems to me totally the wrong reason for being a supporter (or "fan" if you will).

If Barcelona's quality were to decline over the next few years, would you switch allegiance to another club? (I'm trying not to use the word gl*ryh*nt*r).

If I were ever to "pick" another team, I think I'd be more likely to go for one with different characteristics - a small town club with very loyal fans despite little or no success, for example.

:nod: Succinctly put.

Exactly Mike. It's part of why I'm often asked "Why Villa?". It's also why the English amongst us on VT laughed when Robbie Keane went to lifelong boyhood club Liverpool then to lifelong boyhood club Celtic. Particularly in Ireland, we support English and Scottish teams side by side - some of us often putting more emphasis on our Scottish club.

On one hand, being free of the location element of support frees us up to support many clubs that we have no geographical tie to, but on the other hand we (or certainly I) do miss the fact that I'm not from there so I don't have that particular tie that a local would have, making me no more than a blow-in, albeit a passionate and committed one :)

As an aside, I don't have any allegiance to a club in the Irish League. I follow them all in European competition obviously, but I wouldn't be cheering one over the other domestically. That's the extent to which a lot of Irish support the English Premier League i.e. to the complete ignorance of our own - much to the chagrin of the FAI who quite rightly see it as being a huge nuisance/problem in promoting our own league to our own people.

You can see why so many latch onto Barca as it is probably the only success they will see

It's debatable though, whether the success of people's so-called "second teams" feel even remotely as good as, say, the feeling if we were to win a Cup.

Read the last part of my post . I say as much myself.

There's a bloke I used to work with who's from Scunthorpe [1], and went to Aston University. As a result he likes all clubs that play in claret and blue (with Burnley and West Ham trailing somewhat behind Scunny and the Villa).

[1] Perhaps we should refer to it as Sword removedhorpe? :)

You can see why so many latch onto Barca as it is probably the only success they will see

It's debatable though, whether the success of people's so-called "second teams" feel even remotely as good as, say, the feeling if we were to win a Cup.

I know, it's just that I don't think I'll ever really understand why people would choose to support clubs that win trophies every season (apart from geographical reasons), there's no kick in that.

Nvm, I'm just venting, slightly :)

This business of "supporting" foreign teams. I just don't get it (non-British Villa fans are exempt, naturally).

Because some of us watch them every week because they play the best football and they have the best player in the world who is amazing to watch.

That seems to me totally the wrong reason for being a supporter (or "fan" if you will).

If Barcelona's quality were to decline over the next few years, would you switch allegiance to another club? (I'm trying not to use the word gl*ryh*nt*r).

If I were ever to "pick" another team, I think I'd be more likely to go for one with different characteristics - a small town club with very loyal fans despite little or no success, for example.

Yes, I used to watch Real every week and they were my favourite team when they had Ronaldo. In reality, if Messi got injured and was out for a year, I wouldn't care that much.

I don't support Barcelona, I just love the football they play and I love Messi so therefore I hope they win because that usually means that they have 1. played well, 2. Messi is most likely involved in goals.

There is a difference, it's not about supporting a particular team for me or following them, it's just about watching great football and that's why I like Barcelona because they play the best football.

Perhaps others are different but you say yourself, would why you support any other team apart from Villa? exactly, I support Villa. That's it. Whoever is manager, whoever plays, whatever the score, I care. With Barcelona, I watch and hope they win because simply I just want to see the best football and as a football fan, I find nothing wrong in that. I don't buy merchandise, I don't go to games, I don't visit their forums, I just watch their games. Barcelona are my favourite team because Messi plays for them, just like when Ronaldo was about, Real were my favourite.

I know, it's just that I don't think I'll ever really understand why people would choose to support clubs that win trophies every season (apart from geographical reasons), there's no kick in that.

Nvm, I'm just venting, slightly :)

If the Jags even just made it it to the NFL playoffs I' d probably get a seven day boner .

The baseball team I chose ( Chicago Cubs ) are notorious failures as well .

I could have easily chose Patriots and Yankees but where would the fun in that be ?

I love misery I guess and as Del boy says at the end of OFAH , the fun is in the chase . With my teams it's going to be a bloody long chase .

Mr Mooneys sig also has a certain resonance in this matter I feel.

I'd say this is absolutely true of Barcelona.

But, for me, the premiership provides the best entertainment by a long way. Most/many/some European cup games are frankly tragic.

Yeah, Premiership is best, I only watch Barca games and Real games because they are on and also Ronaldo is good to watch for Real. I don't watch any other games, just find other leagues generally boring.

I watch pretty much every Premiership game I can though, even lower leagues, I love English football, Barca is just my bit on the side to watch a complete footballing side.

Not a supporter then :)

I'll be honest, I don't know the difference.

Glory hunting, messi fan boi I guess. 8)

Fair enough, that's honest.

If Messi played for Villa, I'd love him. As it is, I greatly prefer... ooh, let's say.... Marc Albrighton or Gary Gardner.

Going back on topic for a moment.

People who wouldn't know what the entrace to a church looked like actually going and giving up things for lent. It shouldn't piss me off. It just annoys me slightly that they do this pathetic once-yearly participation in religion that is, let's face it, nothing but a game of "I wonder if I can..." to them. You're either religious or you're not :angry:

Going back on topic for a moment.

People who wouldn't know what the entrace to a church looked like actually going and giving up things for lent. It shouldn't piss me off. It just annoys me slightly that they do this pathetic once-yearly participation in religion that is, let's face it, nothing but a game of "I wonder if I can..." to them. You're either religious or you're not :angry:

I sort of agree, at least with regard to the timing of it. But I guess there's nothing wrong with (as you say) a game of "I wonder if I can..."

My missus often does it, and she's an atheist. She just treats the date as being an arbitrary thing, as an incentive to (say) cut down on the booze and unhealthy food for a bit. Can't do any harm.

Not for me, mind.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â