Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Another gripe I have with the PC mentality is some of it's more strident practitioners literally want to ban books. It's the point at which the left goes so far left that they merge seamlessly with the right.

There are numerous American novels, some considered classics, who have characters who use the word "nigger". For this reason alone, there have been calls for these books to be removed from college curriculums, disregarding the value of the books as entire works, and the lessons to be learned from racially charged words and terms that were bandied about liberally in mainstream literature 125 years ago.

Banning books at a university. Boggles the mind.

Yep, Mark Twain is in their sights. And yet other authors - random choice: James Ellroy - use the 'n' word all the time. Rank hypocrisy, not to say stupidity. Apart from anything else, it stops people (especially kids) from understanding history, how things used to be, and how things have changed now. The dog's name was a small, but interesting detail in the story of the Dambusters raids. As a WWII buff maqroll, you should read one of the many books on the subject - or if short of time, watch the 50s movie (in an 'uncensored' version). It's gripping.
  • Like 1

the difference with chav is i dont think there is a proper definition that everyone understands, id guess that for some well to do types the term chav applies to a much wider spectrum of people than it does to others, fitting the council housed and violent acronym (which is actually a bacronym, which is a new word for me!) to me its cheltenham average, which i never understood anyway

• Like 1

Rant Part Two. How can you POSSIBLY make a film about WWII without racist words? If the RAF characters can't say 'nigger', then surely the SS and Gestapo can't say 'yid' or 'kike'? Seems only fair. Of course, the movie has to have Good Guys and Bad Guys. But do we REALLY want the Good Guys to wear white hats, never swear, and be good to their mums? Real life isn't like that. There is far more (dead accurate) casual racism among the Good Guys in the likes of 'The Naked and the Dead' (which got absurdly censored for swearing), or virtually ANY novel or movie about the Vietnam War, than there is in The Dambusters. And nobody turns a hair.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

im pretty sure they can do a film where the name of the dog isnt mentioned, how hard is it to change "here n*****" to "here boy"

read that they are thinking of calling the dog nigsy which was a nickname for him

No. Absolutely no. Don't try and pretend that the 40s were like now, they weren't. Educate people. Otherwise we are no better than that Bowdler bloke in Victorian times, writing all the sex references out of Shakespeare, or the US publishers of J. K. Rowling changing all the English idioms in Harry Potter to American ones. It's infantilising, it's an insult to the readers' intelligence, it's deception, and it's the thin end of the censorship wedge. I hate, loathe and despise racism, but Guy Gibson's dog's name was the main 'Operation Chastise' codeword. It was Nigger. Get over it.

The disclaimer from the uncensored Tom and Jerry Golden Collection sums it up well

Some of the cartoons you are about to see are a product of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in American society. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros.' view of today's society, some of these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.

Rant Part Two. How can you POSSIBLY make a film about WWII without racist words? If the RAF characters can't say 'nigger', then surely the SS and Gestapo can't say 'yid' or 'kike'? Seems only fair. Of course, the movie has to have Good Guys and Bad Guys. But do we REALLY want the Good Guys to wear white hats, never swear, and be good to their mums? Real life isn't like that. There is far more (dead accurate) casual racism among the Good Guys in the likes of 'The Naked and the Dead' (which got absurdly censored for swearing), or virtually ANY novel or movie about the Vietnam War, than there is in The Dambusters. And nobody turns a hair.

It's beyond N word whitewash. How many american regiments in WWII were happily mixed? They were segregated and kept segregated. Black platoons and white platoons would be billeted in a town and given their areas they could go so as not to mix. Was listening to an old lady reminisce on the radio recently, she was from the Forest of Dean and she reckoned they were allocated different chip shops for black soldiers and white soldiers.

World War II[edit]

During World War II, African-American enlistment was at an all time high, with more than 1 million serving in the armed forces.[3] However, the U.S. military was still heavily segregated. The air force and the marines had no blacks enlisted in their ranks, and the navy only accepted blacks as cooks and waiters. The army had only five African-American officers.[3] In addition, no African-American would receive the Medal of Honor during the war, and their tasks in the war were largely reserved to noncombat units. Black soldiers had to sometimes give up their seats in trains to the Nazi prisoners of war.[3]

ok ok it's wikipedia, but ...

it would be interesting to see a war film that gave quite such an accurate picture 

World War II[edit]

During World War II, African-American enlistment was at an all time high, with more than 1 million serving in the armed forces.[3] However, the U.S. military was still heavily segregated. The air force and the marines had no blacks enlisted in their ranks, and the navy only accepted blacks as cooks and waiters. The army had only five African-American officers.[3] In addition, no African-American would receive the Medal of Honor during the war, and their tasks in the war were largely reserved to noncombat units. Black soldiers had to sometimes give up their seats in trains to the Nazi prisoners of war.[3]

ok ok it's wikipedia, but ...

it would be interesting to see a war film that gave quite such an accurate picture 

1024px-Tuskegee_Airmen_-_Circa_May_1942_

yeah fascinating. Would appear that at the start of the war there were no black airmen and potentially only a relative handful of black pilots at all in the U.S.

Appears the first (all black, i.e. segregated) USAF squadron had it's first run out in anger in June 1943 - the red tails (as above), or the Tuskegee Airmen.

A night's reading ahead.

just proves it's always worth being slightly cautious when using wikipedia as a one off unchecked point of reference (as I keep telling my kids as they get mid way through their homework)

Edited by chrisp65

So where do we stand on the Dambusters dog?

When they remake the film if they change the dogs name we should all firebomb Hollywood ...

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Two films. The Tuskeegee Airmen (which I haven't seen) and Red Tails (which I have). I hated Red Tails due to the 100% obvious CGI.

The segregation of chip shops, pubs, etc. is true. And it was frequently resisted by British civilians who objected to US military police trying to arrest black soldiers simply for having a quiet pint. There were plenty of black aircrew in the RAF who understood the common practice of calling black dogs and cats 'nigger' (Latin 'niger' = 'black'. As in 'Nigeria'). It was not done to insult black people. Ajax's example of the Tom & Jerry educational note is absolutely the right way to approach this.

People who feel the need to reply to an email even if nothing warrants a reply in that email. I sent out an email this morning to a large group to tell them a site had gone live. I dont want virtual high fives, but no, a load of emails that saying nice one.

People who feel the need to reply to an email even if nothing warrants a reply in that email. I sent out an email this morning to a large group to tell them a site had gone live. I dont want virtual high fives, but no, a load of emails that saying nice one.

Cheers for this post. Nice one.

No problem.

• Like 1

When you've got another point you want to make in another thread, but your name is already on the top four topics so you have to retain that killer thought until somebody else does some posting, rather than look like some saddo.

• Like 1

Went to Costa at work.

The woman in front of me said:

"Can I have a medium latte please. But can I have half the amount of coffee you'd normally use, with a shot of hazelnut syrup, but no foam. And can you make sure the milk is extra hot as I can't drink luke warm coffee."

**** off.

I commend you on (presumably) not punching her in the back of the neck.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â