Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The site manager at work shouted at me today, because I drove the wrong way into work. Everyone does it and I do know about it, it's one on those ridiculous things that nobody gives a damn about apart from the person who came up with the idea.

At the time I was taken

aback at how aggressive he was and smiled and walked away. On reflection, I was probably wrong but he was a complete word removed about it and I didn't deserve to be shouted at.

So tomorrow I planning to do the same thing and hope he sees.

The 'magic' died years ago. Teams would now rather finish 4th in the league than win the FA Cup

Teams would rather finish 17th than win the FA cup.

I suspect the players would rather have the medal ... Owners would rather have the 17th...

• Like 1

The 'magic' died years ago. Teams would now rather finish 4th in the league than win the FA Cup

Teams would rather finish 17th than win the FA cup.
I suspect the players would rather have the medal ... Owners would rather have the 17th...

True. Perhaps the most telling result is what the fans would prefer. I'd take a cup any day of the week but I get the impression I may be in a minority.

cup please

One new line on the club honours every 7th year, or finishing 17th for the next 135 years?

There is utterly utterly completely absolutely no earthly point in finishing 17th out of 92 clubs, year in, year out. It is the very meaning of the phrase 'idiot rich boy spending daddy's money on a futile project to try and buy friends and then losing your bottle like you always do so just **** off'

• Like 4

Benedict Cumerbland Sausage has had (or felt the need to) to apologise after an 'outcry' following a interview ge did for a US TC channel in which he used the term 'coloured'.

It's almost got to the stage where people need a list of acceptable words to describe people of non-white colour. It's a minefield. Maybe he should have used 'non-white'. I'm not sure 'coloured' is particularly offensive, is it? I'm not a kipper by the way, but this area has become a minefield IMO.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30994775

Benedict Cumberbatch sorry for 'coloured' comment

Benedict Cumberbatch says he's "devastated to have caused offence" after referring to black actors as "coloured" on a US talk show.

He was talking about diversity in British acting when he said it.

Anti-racism charity Show Racism the Red Card says the term is "outdated" and can cause offence.

The Sherlock actor has since apologised and says he makes no excuse for "being an idiot".

The Oscar-nominated actor was telling American television presenter Tavis Smiley that he believes Hollywood offers more opportunities for black actors than the UK does.

He said: "I think as far as coloured actors go it gets really difficult in the UK, and a lot of my friends have had more opportunities here (in the US) than in the UK and that's something that needs to change."

His comments were quickly criticised online and charity Show Racism the Red Card said that he had "highlighted the issue of appropriate terminology".

They said: "The term 'coloured' is now outdated and has the potential to cause offence due to the connotations associated with the term and its historical usage."

In a statement the 38-year-old said: "I can only hope this incident will highlight the need for correct usage of terminology that is accurate and inoffensive.

"The most shaming aspect of this for me is that I was talking about racial inequality in the performing arts in the UK and the need for rapid improvements in our industry when I used the term.

"I feel the complete fool I am and while I am sorry to have offended people and to learn from my mistakes in such a public manner, please be assured I have.

"I apologise again to anyone who I offended for this thoughtless use of inappropriate language about an issue which affects friends of mine and which I care about deeply."

"Coloured" hasn't been acceptable for a long while to be fair.

Yeah this.

I'm perfectly aware that that's not a particularly clever word to use.

Don't really see the problem with it to be honest. Looks like people rightly haven't called him racist (which is obvious given the subject matter), just pointed out that it's not a very good word to use, and he's apologised.

Fair enough in my book.

So, let me get this right. "Coloured people" is offensive. But "persons of colour" is OK?

It's getting a bit silly.

The distinction comes from how the terms were used historically.

"Coloured" was used to describe black people, in a rather derogatory way, even if the word itself is harmless.

"Person of colour" was introduced (in the US) to describe anyone who isn't white.

So, let me get this right. "Coloured people" is offensive. But "persons of colour" is OK?

"Person of colour" was introduced (in the US) to describe anyone who isn't white.

surely non-white would be quicker and easier?

As The Moon Man says, it's getting a bit silly.

my parents use the the word coloured as they are from a generation that thought black was a derogatory term. I gently correct them, it doesnt make them evil for this mistake.

So, can we use the word black, without fear of recrimination?

surely non-white would be quicker and easier?

I've googled it. 

The reason is that "non-white" defines people by what they are not (and minority is also frowned upon because it has negative connotations).

"Person of Colo(u)r" is more positive. Apparently.

my parents use the the word coloured as they are from a generation that thought black was a derogatory term. I gently correct them, it doesnt make them evil for this mistake.

So, can we use the word black, without fear of recrimination?

Yes.

Edited by Stevo985

It's all bollox. Multi coloured bollox.

• Like 2

The distinction comes from how the terms were used historically.

"Coloured" was used to describe black people, in a rather derogatory way, even if the word itself is harmless.

I'm sure "black" has been used in just as many derogatory ways in the past.  'Coloured' is a dated term, but I don't see why anybody should have to apologise for using it. 'Non-white' doesn't work in a lot of situations. 

• Like 1

Yeah maybe.

I don't think it's unreasonable though, for people of different races to define what they would and wouldn't like to be called.

Who are we to tell black people (or people of colour) what is and isn't offensive to them?

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â