Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

but VT has this weird phenomenon where knowing who these incredibly famous people are puts you in the minority!

Spot on, and I think most of it is bollocks posted for effect.  Unless people genuinely haven't turned on the TV, read a newspaper, been in a taxi/shop with the radio on, spoken to any kids etc, then how genuinely can you not have heard of him?  Obviously the Moon Man lives in his 60s cave with his Dansette, so that's OK, but everybody else....c'mon.

aha!

I haven't read a newspaper since around 1996.

I rarely watch TV, and certainly not any music channel.

Any taxi I've been in recently has been playing bhangra.

Asda doesn't play music (thankfully).

I only listen to rock stations via DAB and internet.

I've obviously heard of the ginger warbler but not heard more than 20 seconds of anything by him. Bland and boring.

Haven't you just proved Risso's point?

Don't know much about him, but he seems like a lovely man.

And Tri’s brother Colm is incredibly grateful. He said: ‘Myself and my family would like to thank Ed Sheeran and everyone who started and supported the #SongForTri campaign.

Back on topic, this.

That sentence doesn't make sense, does it?

But I'm hearing that more and more.

but VT has this weird phenomenon where knowing who these incredibly famous people are puts you in the minority!

Spot on, and I think most of it is bollocks posted for effect.  Unless people genuinely haven't turned on the TV, read a newspaper, been in a taxi/shop with the radio on, spoken to any kids etc, then how genuinely can you not have heard of him?  Obviously the Moon Man lives in his 60s cave with his Dansette, so that's OK, but everybody else....c'mon.

yep, you've sussed out the hipsters

There's really only one way to live your life and that's watching yoof programming on the telly and listening to pop radio whilst reading the celeb news in the Daily Star sat in the back of a taxi.

Personally, I haven't used a taxi in this country in about 10 years, if I read a newspaper it'll be the Independent, if I watch the telly it won't be a programme with pop music on it. Believe it or not I don't listen to radio 1 or follow Graham Norton on twitter.

I have two kids - I have a house full of drums and guitars and a piano - I had heard the name Ed Sheeran but not knowingly listened to his music. I don't believe I'd heard the name Jamie Foxx - my guess on him was that he was Jamie XX that worked on the last Gil Scott Heron album. You are familiar with all of GSH's and XX's work I'm sure? Incredibly famous.

Different strokes for different folks innit. 

This might be why I wouldn't do very well on a Saturday night TV quiz show.

• Like 2

He's probably one of the biggest names in music at the moment.

I didn't know who he was but Tbf the same would probably be true of any artist after 1975
Slight edit ;-)

:)

tbf I'm not really a fan of 70's music ... Bay City rollers were my favourite ( I was about 6 , I didn't have cool parents getting me into the Ramones and forcing me to wear their t-shirts [emoji14]) ) but other than that I'm trying to think of an act from my childhood (70's) I can remember ...

Read the edit more carefully - it was aimed at me. Saved me the trouble of posting it myself actually, as it's true.

oh yeah :blush:

must read posts before i reply ; must read posts before i reply ;must read posts before i reply ;must read posts before i reply ;must read posts before i reply ;must read posts before i reply ;

ha ha!

I have never heard of Jamie Foxx.

I guess it just shows there are lots of people in the world and we all presume our own little universe we have created is the main one. American sports, that's another blind spot for me (this is where you tell me Jamie Foxx has owned all basket ball since 1987). I guess it's only right that 'the kids' have a world I know nothing about. Oh, and computer games and films based on comic books.

The alternatives would be awful, either da kids blindly following the previous generation, or me in my dotage with Nikes on my feet and wrapper music on my walkman.

What world are you living in???

You don't know who Jamie Foxx (one of the biggest actors in the world) or Ed Sheeran (one of the biggest pop stars in the world) are?

I genuinely can't believe that, you live in Barry not lands end!

At one point if I heard any modern music I would say who is this, Chris Brown, as that was the only name I had heard of. I was always wrong, If it was guitars I said Alt J, these days I am going to say Royal Blood, thanks entirely to this thread.

Don't know much about him, but he seems like a lovely man.

And Tri’s brother Colm is incredibly grateful. He said: ‘Myself and my family would like to thank Ed Sheeran and everyone who started and supported the #SongForTri campaign.

Back on topic, this.

That sentence doesn't make sense, does it?

But I'm hearing that more and more.

I know, silly PieFace.

• Like 2

There's a weird trend on VT that it seems to be cool not to know who INCREDIBLY famous celebrities are.

wouldn't that thus make it uncool , and therefore the cool kids would be the ones who did know who he is , until there were too many and then it would be uncool of course  ...

I just took it to be that we are a) Old  and b ) just don't like shit music ....  rather than any attempt to be cool

I don't watch reality TV shows (apart from The Apprentice ) don't listen to the radio (other than Absolute 80's) and don't read Hello magazine  .... by default that means I'm just pretty clueless  rather than cool  :)

• Like 2

I didn't mean you should have heard of them.

Just that when a famous person gets mentioned, there always seems to be a flurry of people posting saying "I've never heard of him!", like it's something to be proud of.

It's nothing to be ashamed of either, it just seems weird to (apparently) brag about it.

Edited by Stevo985

funny you say that as I was in a taxi in Taiwan and there was this annoying song was playing  , think the driver had it on loop ... anyway turned out to be Lady Gaga and until that point whilst aware of her existence , was blissfully unaware of any of her music  ....

There are lots of songs that I hear in pubs , TV shows etc , but I wouldn't be able to tell you the artist ... someone mentioned Kim Kardashian , I saw loads of stuff on Facebook about her arse , but it didn't mean anything more to me than any other girls arse to be honest  ... i.e I clicked the link and studied it and then realised I'd been tricked into looking at a Lady Boys arse

ha ha!

I have never heard of Jamie Foxx.

I guess it just shows there are lots of people in the world and we all presume our own little universe we have created is the main one. American sports, that's another blind spot for me (this is where you tell me Jamie Foxx has owned all basket ball since 1987). I guess it's only right that 'the kids' have a world I know nothing about. Oh, and computer games and films based on comic books.

The alternatives would be awful, either da kids blindly following the previous generation, or me in my dotage with Nikes on my feet and wrapper music on my walkman.

What world are you living in???

You don't know who Jamie Foxx (one of the biggest actors in the world) or Ed Sheeran (one of the biggest pop stars in the world) are?

I genuinely can't believe that, you live in Barry not lands end!

Well, it is genuinely true. Really not PFE. 

Of the 5 films quoted that Jamie Foxx did I have only seen one and I didn't pay any attention to who was in it. I bought it in Morrisons for a fiver when I was staying away in a hotel and had done all the shuffle one cock could take. I watched it because it was a tarantino film. I've just googled him and I am actually quite surprised, he's done over 30 films. But again, I've only seen one of them. I'm not trying to claim I'm an intellectual or have better taste than anyone , I'm not and I don't. But I've never seen 'Booty Call', or 'Spider Man 2'.

I don't listen to modern R&B and whilst I can now see he has won awards for 'best ringtone' and best hip hop collaboration you have to believe me when I say I don't download ringtones and hip hop after the Beastie Boys is a bit of a blind spot for me.

If it's not stuff you are interested in, then it just floats by without being retained. 

Ask me a question on Primal Scream, lambretta, Aston Villa, double digging, wishbone suspension, Architecture etc and I'll give it a good go.

In my job, I need to know all the current trends in architecture and physical retail space and what's 'fashionable'. If I didn't know who Jeanneret-Gris was I'd look like a fool. Everyone in every practise in every country knows his work. He is as famous as it gets. There are books, films, documentaries, posters. He is an industry on his own.

How many people in the X Factor queue would know him if asked? Just a different world.

It's just different sub sets and sub cultures. It's not being clever, far from it.

• Like 2

I didn't mean you should have heard of them.

Just that when a famous person gets mentioned, there always seems to be a flurry of people posting saying "I've never heard of him!", like it's something to be proud of.

It's nothing to be ashamed of either, it just seems weird to (apparently) brag about it.

well genuinely I haven't heard of him , so I'm sort of puzzled as to what my response should be  ...  it's not like I'm pretending to have never heard of Elvis ( this is where I find out he's bigger than Elvis ?)

from the descriptions of ginger clearing in the woods etc then I think I have seen him on the TV at some red carpet clip  thing on the TV in in the background but I wouldn't have known his name  .. 

I guess one way would be to ask you If you walked into a room and Tim Booth was there would you know who he was ?  if you've no interest in music from that era , there is probably no reason to be aware of his existence ... 

• Like 2

There's being interested in something, there's not being interested but aware that something exists, and there's not having heard of something at all.  Lot's of people seem to fall into the third category, which is what I find suprising where it concerns things that get regular coverage, or that people talk about.

• Like 1

There's being interested in something, there's not being interested but aware that something exists, and there's not having heard of something at all.  Lot's of people seem to fall into the third category, which is what I find suprising where it concerns things that get regular coverage, or that people talk about.

Ed Sheeran .. do you spend a lot of time talking to teenage girls ? 

I guess one way would be to ask you If you walked into a room and Tim Booth was there would you know who he was ?  if you've no interest in music from that era , there is probably no reason to be aware of his existence ... 

I would, but he's in no way comparable to how big Ed Sheeran is now.  For a start, he was a lead singer of a band rather than solo (mostly) so that brings a certain amount less reason to know his name.

Ed Sheeran .. do you spend a lot of time talking to teenage girls ? 

No, but I do have a 9 year old daughter who listens to that sort of stuff with her friends.

Ask me a question on Primal Scream, lambretta, Aston Villa, double digging, wishbone suspension, Architecture etc and I'll give it a good go.

I read that as Double dogging and was about to ask you loads of questions   ... you can imagine my disappointment now i've re-read it 

• Like 1

I would, but he's in no way comparable to how big Ed Sheeran is now.  For a start, he was a lead singer of a band rather than solo (mostly) so that brings a certain amount less reason to know his name.

yeah but you're old   (and probably have some of their music ) ... I was working more on a hyperthetical younger person

I read that as Double dogging and was about to ask you loads of questions   ... you can imagine my disappointment now i've re-read it 

tried double dogging, can't say I enjoyed being in the middle much

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â