Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Two name related things. People who address letters and emails etc to my surname (my surname is a shortened version of a Christian name), and then people who spell it wrong. I should be more specific in the fact that I'm mostly talking about people who reply to an email or letter I've sent with my full name written at the bottom for them to see. I'm not sure if people think I don't know how to write my own name or what? I wonder if they sit there and think, "This blokes an idiot! He doesn't even know how to write his own name! I know I'll write back to him, and write it the way I think it should be written, so he knows."

I think I put this in this thread already, but the other day I had an email which addressed me as "Bjorn Stevens".

It's Bjorn Stevo, right?

Two name related things. People who address letters and emails etc to my surname (my surname is a shortened version of a Christian name), and then people who spell it wrong. I should be more specific in the fact that I'm mostly talking about people who reply to an email or letter I've sent with my full name written at the bottom for them to see. I'm not sure if people think I don't know how to write my own name or what? I wonder if they sit there and think, "This blokes an idiot! He doesn't even know how to write his own name! I know I'll write back to him, and write it the way I think it should be written, so he knows."

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. 

I think I'm allergic to non-venomous snakes. Yesterday there was a man at the zoo holding a big python and he dared me to stroke it, so I did and a few hours later I ended up with stomach cramps and threw up the chicken balti pasty I'd had for lunch. God knows what a venomous one would do to me, probably make me even sicker.

I think I'm allergic to non-venomous snakes. Yesterday there was a man at the zoo holding a big python and he dared me to stroke it, so I did and a few hours later I ended up with stomach cramps and threw up the chicken balti pasty I'd had for lunch. God knows what a venomous one would do to me, probably make me even sicker.

That is unusual.

That sort of reaction is usually associated with McDonald's which is known as asp burgers syndrome. :)

• Like 3

Of course, it's 3 VT boffin points to all of you out there that spotted the picture of cleaners was taken in Kensington Town Hall, January 1975, celebrating the Equal Pay Act coming in to force.

Thought I should add that footnote as some of the younger readers might not have got the relevance and ironic humour straight away and thought we really were bemoaning equality.

No one in their right mind could possibly argue against equality but all evidence suggests that modern feminism is about obtaining privilege and not just equality.

Even when women were campaigning to get the vote they didn't want equality.

The Pankhursts campaigned for votes for women but not for conscription and while demanding the vote were high profile campaigners in the 'white feather' movement, where they demanded that boys as young as 17, who like the majority of men at that time could not vote, do their duty to protect women by signing up.

When I first wrote out my little piece there, I ended it with the joke '....unless you dislike women, like MMV'

I decided to delete it as it wasn't fair, wasn't that funny and might have been taken more seriously than intended as it's difficult to convey a gentle joke in written form. 

I'm not sure anybody but a select politicised few feminists would actually want privilege over men. No more than men wanting it (and currently having it) over women. What many want is some forms of positive discrimination for a period of time to help redress a balance and show girls and women there is an equal position to be taken out there, everybody alongside everybody. Personally, I'm all for a time period of positive discrimination. 

But equality shouldn't mean having to put up with the same shit and stress men have managed to get themselves into.  

• Like 1

Of course, it's 3 VT boffin points to all of you out there that spotted the picture of cleaners was taken in Kensington Town Hall, January 1975, celebrating the Equal Pay Act coming in to force.

Thought I should add that footnote as some of the younger readers might not have got the relevance and ironic humour straight away and thought we really were bemoaning equality.

No one in their right mind could possibly argue against equality but all evidence suggests that modern feminism is about obtaining privilege and not just equality.

The Pankhursts campaigned for votes for women but not for conscription and while demanding the vote were high profile campaigners in the 'white feather' movement, where they demanded that boys as young as 17, who like the majority of men at that time could not vote, do their duty to protect women by signing up.

When I first wrote out my little piece there, I ended it with the joke '....unless you dislike women, like MMV'

I decided to delete it as it wasn't fair, wasn't that funny and might have been taken more seriously than intended as it's difficult to convey a gentle joke in written form. 

I'm not sure anybody but a select politicised few feminists would actually want privilege over men. No more than men wanting it (and currently having it) over women. What many want is some forms of positive discrimination for a period of time to help redress a balance and show girls and women there is an equal position to be taken out there, everybody alongside everybody. Personally, I'm all for a time period of positive discrimination. 

But equality shouldn't mean having to put up with the same shit and stress men have managed to get themselves into.  

I think the problem is that women have tunnel vision, in that they demand to get access to the top jobs, which they say are dominated by men, but they don't want the worst and most dangerous jobs which are also dominated by men.

As you point out, women want the privilege of cherry picking the best jobs and the right to avoid 'the same shit and stress men' have to accept to maximise their earnings.

If women can claim that they are pressured into being obsessed with their appearance to please men, the men should also have the right to claim that they are forced into dangerous jobs to maximise their earnings because women tend to pick better paid men over poorly paid men when they choose a partner.

The fundamental problem is that although there are many men like yourself who are supportive of women's issues, most women are completely oblivious of men's problems.

It seems that when confronted with facts about men's problems, whether it be much higher suicide rates (3 out of 4), homelessness, and a shorter lifespan, I am not sure they actually care.

Anyone caught pointing out the facts, is instantly branded misogynistic.

I think the problem is that women have tunnel vision, in that they demand to get access to the top jobs, which they say are dominated by men, but they don't want the worst and most dangerous jobs which are also dominated by men.

As you point out, women want the privilege of cherry picking the best jobs and the right to avoid 'the same shit and stress men' have to accept to maximise their earnings.

If women can claim that they are pressured into being obsessed with their appearance to please men, the men should also have the right to claim that they are forced into dangerous jobs to maximise their earnings because women tend to pick better paid men over poorly paid men when they choose a partner.

The fundamental problem is that although there are many men like yourself who are supportive of women's issues, most women are completely oblivious of men's problems.

It seems that when confronted with facts about men's problems, whether it be much higher suicide rates (3 out of 4), homelessness, and a shorter lifespan, I am not sure they actually care.

Anyone caught pointing out the facts, is instantly branded misogynistic.

Have you ever touched a boob?

• Like 2

Male and female footballers should be paid equally.

Female footballers shouldn't be paid at all. Well, they can split up the £9.50 gate receipts after costs, or just put it in a pool and have a few pints end of season.

England women's team getting paid, it's like Charity isn't it?

• Like 1

Male and female footballers of equal talent and ability should be on the same team.

There should be a fair few on £30k plus then, because that's what a lot of Villa players are on.

• Like 2

Female footballers shouldn't be paid at all. Well, they can split up the £9.50 gate receipts after costs, or just put it in a pool and have a few pints end of season.

England women's team getting paid, it's like Charity isn't it?

Do you know MMV well?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â