Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

accidentally pressing backspace and losing your reply is another one...

--

working in public libraries in Cardiff. I'll admit it's according to the word of my manager who's attending meetings of upcoming things to do rather than seeing it in writing with my own eyes, but it doesn't really surprise me. Sounded like something that was imminent ( within a few months ) at least across public buildings ( I assume it would be across Council buildings and not just a library thing ).

I've lived here in Cardiff for 10 years but the last couple of years it feels like there's been a stronger language push as well in general so it wouldn't entirely surprise me. They had a "Say Schmai day last month too. Although, inspiringly they arranged it for a day when most public libraries were shut, but that's planners for you.

The Secretary of State is a tory, the First Minister is Labour, the Assembly is Labour, Cardiff has Labour, Conservative and Lib Dem MP's but no nationalist MP's, no nationalist AM's and only 2 nationalist councillors out of a council of 75 seats.

It'll be some other brand of zealot at work here. 

But yes, I agree, there are some weird decisions coming out of Cardiff at the moment. They appear to be actively discouraging any form of business other than coffee shops anywhere near the centre of town - and don't you dare try and use a car - unless you are a politician in which case you can have your own free secure car park and alter the traffic lights to give your office priority at commuter time.

fair enough, I jump to nationalism, as it's the only halfway logical explanation I could think of for it. I always think Driving is a nightmare. Had a car for about 6 months then just got rid of it, I think I'd go mad trying to navigate the city.

They are also arbitrarily changing the bus routes too. I say changing, I mean just reducing the frequency of certain routes without much warning either.

it's about the first time I've been minded to "write a letter."

Which in itself pisses me off frankly.

So I got drunk last night, didnt do anything wrong, went out saw a band, enjoyed myself, but I know when my wife gets up later, she will insist on highlighting something minor, something trivial to make me feel bad or guilty . Why do women do this?

Happens a lot from both sides, not just women... think it is insecurity. Some people don't like their partners going out and enjoying themselves without them.

I encourage it. Means I can do the same.

• Like 1

The fact that I'm actually in a pissy mood just because bloody Aston Villa lost again.

It really shouldn't matter anymore.

It took me seconds to put it out of my mind, which pisses me off equally.

I actually find out rather amusing that we've lost 6 games in a row.

Missing my wife (she's gone back to England for a week as her Dad is having heart surgery).  It shouldn't piss me off.  I'm a man.  According to stereotype I should revel in my temporary freedom.  I don't though.  I like spending time with her.

I work with people who have a wife and kids in another state and only see them every couple of weeks.  I don't know how they do it.

• Like 1

I might sit down and explain my own situation in love to VT one day. It's an odd one. The true pain felt in missing somebody you are in love with can never be felt stronger than in myself these last two years.

I'm with you on the "freedom" thing... At least it affirms your love for her. Good man and might I add, lucky lady.

• Like 1

Some bloke in Hong Kong, described as a "British banker" (is this a spelling mistake), has murdered two young women. The press, from Daily Mail to the BBC, describe them as 'prostitutes' or 'sex workers' . As if this matters - they were two young women !! 

• Like 2

Some bloke in Hong Kong, described as a "British banker" (is this a spelling mistake), has murdered two young women. The press, from Daily Mail to the BBC, describe them as 'prostitutes' or 'sex workers' . As if this matters - they were two young women !! 

Its click bait. Has always happened and will always happen. 

A sad indictment of the species but "British Banker kills prossies" will sell more papers, get more clicks and attract more viewers than "British Banker kills woman" 

I disagree. Their occupation, and the reason they were in his room, would be mentioned in a news item, whatever they were. Making people aware of the exploitation and risks endemic in the sex industry is perfectly valid.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Its click bait. Has always happened and will always happen. 

A sad indictment of the species but "British Banker kills prossies" will sell more papers, get more clicks and attract more viewers than "British Banker kills woman" 

Indeed. Or British man kills women. The papers love the fact he's a banker as well.

I think its all of the above.

The headline 'British man kills women overseas' just isn't going to cut it. Not least when it is in competition with thousands of other deaths. I just looked up one easily found figure, the government website quotes that last year 5,930 Brits died overseas in accidents and unlawful killings etc.. Sixteen a day, every day, you need an angle if your story is going to get press coverage. It's at that point the sex angle pushes you to the top of the pile.

But yes this has too many buzzwords to be missed, Hong Kong is current, bankers are current and prostitution is never out of fashion with the media.

I disagree. Their occupation, and the reason they were in his room, would be mentioned in a news item, whatever they were. Making people aware of the exploitation and risks endemic in the sex industry is perfectly valid.

I take the point, but I think you are being over generous in suggesting the reports of this incident have included the occupations as a warning to others not to make similar career decisions. 

• Like 2

I think its all of the above.

The headline 'British man kills women overseas' just isn't going to cut it. Not least when it is in competition with thousands of other deaths. I just looked up one easily found figure, the government website quotes that last year 5,930 Brits died overseas in accidents and unlawful killings etc.. Sixteen a day, every day, you need an angle if your story is going to get press coverage. It's at that point the sex angle pushes you to the top of the pile.

But yes this has too many buzzwords to be missed, Hong Kong is current, bankers are current and prostitution is never out of fashion with the media.

The press were also dubbing it as the 'American Psycho' killings - which was guaranteed to excite prurience.

But it does work both ways - the murder of the schoolteacher has been given prominence based on her sainthood.

The stupid little word remove who was doing a wheelie up the road, while riding his bike into heavy traffic. No helmet or lights obviously. I'd say he deserves to get run over, but it's not only his life he'd ruin, it'd be the poor sod who hit him too.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â