Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

90's R'N'B/hip hop is possibly my favourite musical genre.

There's some great music amongst that genre. Also the music I sowed a lot of my wild oats to, when I was at college. Ah Thursday night R'N'B night, at Club 2K!  

There's some great music amongst that genre. Also the music I sowed a lot of my wild oats to, when I was at college. Ah Thursday night R'N'B night, at Club 2K!  

Nothing wrong with a bit of Bump n Grind! 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a bit of Bump n Grind! 

my minds telling me noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

but my body......my bodyyyyyyyyy......

• Like 1

on a personal note i can understand why a band as legendary as deep purple are left off but where are the who and the stones? old farts i know but still hugely influential and still have a big impact on new bands today. i know a lot of young lads in bands and zep,stones, the who and black sabbath are the most common names that get mentioned.

thats a ridiculous list, a cool list for the cool kids who boast about how they listen to bands that you've never heard of because of how cool they are

assuming they left the beatles and dylan etc off for a reason, but either make it new or make it all encompassing, you cant leave them off but still include the likes of led zepplin and fleetwood mac

apologies if ive glanced over them but no oasis, no arctic monkeys, no libertines, no tupac, no NWA, no missy elliot, no timbaland, no neptunes, glad aaliyah is so high because she was really good, what i would consider proper RnB rather than the poptastic shite we have now and the only other person who thinks that about kanye west is kanye west...

i also struggle to understand how the likes of tame impala, bat for lashes, the xx etc who have only been around for 4/5 years themselves can be considered so influential

I kind of know what you're getting at here, but just because people listen to music you may not have heard of, it doesn't automatically make them a tragic hipster. To be fair there's some decent bands on the list, I just question what some of them are doing on an "influential" list. 

Oh and I also think Kanye West is absolutely superb.

An utter UTTER bellend. But a very good artist.

Wouldn't have him that high on any list, but anyway.

i've got about 3 of his albums, i think each one has 3 maybe 4 really good tracks on it but a ridiculous amount of filler too, late registration for example, over 20 tracks, maybe 4 of them are any good, nothing new to hip hop, take the score by the fugees for example, probably one of the biggest hip hop albums of the 90s, that's exactly the same, got 3/4 amazing songs on it then a couple of shite songs and a couple of skits

the thing that annoyed me about kanye west was that he was so much higher than many other rappers, i wouldnt have him higher than jay-z, tupac, enimen and nowhere near dre

Edited by villa4europe

I'm at a disadvantage here as I stopped listening to new music around 2000 but What bands are influenced by Radio Head out of interest ?

Any music influence list that isn't topped by the Beatles can't be taken seriously though... Yeah I know they themselves were influenced by others but their impact on music as we know it is immense

Any music influence list that isn't topped by the Beatles can't be taken seriously though... 

they've left them and dylan off on purpose with the tag line of "whos the best of the new wave of bands"

and then gone on to name a fair few 70s bands

its a shit list, in my mind its the NME being the NME

I'm at a disadvantage here as I stopped listening to new music around 2000 but What bands are influenced by Radio Head out of interest ?

Any music influence list that isn't topped by the Beatles can't be taken seriously though... Yeah I know they themselves were influenced by others but their impact on music as we know it is immense

Without looking into it too deeply, I'd say bands like Boards of Canada, Sigur Ros, Alt J, Muse, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, and even Coldplay.

I'd say Animal Collective are lot more influenced by stuff like the Beach Boys. And that Board of Canada would have had a bigger influence on Radiohead than other way around, especially during the Kid A era.

Edited by useless

I'd say Animal Collective are lot more influenced by stuff like the Beach Boys. And that Board of Canada would have had a bigger influence on Radiohead than other way around, especially during the Kid A era.

Yeah, it was just bands of the top of my head. I probably agree with what you're saying about Animal Collective, but I can hear Radiohead, along with some Krautrock and Psych etc influences. I accept that Boards of Canada would be a contemporary, rather than being influenced by.   

I remember Thom Yorke saying around the time of Kid A that he'd bought the whole of Warp Records catalogue and it was big influence. I think they've name checked BOC a few times as well. Most likely the two of them are influenced by a lot of the same bands too, so you'll get similarities resulting from that.

I think Radiohead are probably influential in more than just their sound too.

Edited by useless

. . .

And here's their rationale: 

When the idea was first floated of an issue celebrating the most influential acts in music today, one question was paramount: where do you put The Beatles? Obviously modern music wouldn’t exist in its current form without them, virtually every facet of NME’s world can be traced back to ‘The White Album’, they’re clearly the most influential act in rock history. End of argument, right?

But how many bands today turn up to a rehearsal room plastered with posters of Ringo, neck a load of brown acid and plug in planning to write a 21st Century ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’? Far fewer, we reasoned, than want to write their own ‘Seven Nation Army’ or ‘Crystalised’. Ditto Dylan, The Stones and The Who, et al. These are acts whose influence is written in stone, the very bedrock of the form, but who aren’t necessarily directly informing the music being made today any more than Chaucer is influencing Buzzfeed. Influence is a fluid concept, so rather than simply tipping our caps to the legends (again), we set out to quantify which are the biggest influences on today’s music scene.

There was a certain amount of science to it. An entire week of work experience students left the office thinking that cutting-edge music journalism in 2014 mostly involves calculating which bands have been mentioned most in NME in the past two years, then hunting out references to the bands that influenced those acts online and finally adding up the number of times each influence came up. This gave us a rough list which our editorial team - heads swimming with all of the bands that Wolf Alice (or whoever) have raved on about over 4am ciders - then took to the pub, tore into shreds, fought and shouted about and finally reconstructed in the rundown of 100 you see in the mag today. The Beatles didn’t make it. Sorry.

So, as I said, it's made by rich teenage interns. The list is not of 'influential bands', it's of the iPod playlists of the sort of wealthy 19-year-old indie kids who might do a summer's interning at NME. I don't know why anyone would expect anything else, it is the silly season after all. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â