Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Even if it does it's still more pleasant on the ear than most regional accents.

Not in the opinion of most non-Brummies.

The real one or the "anything for yow cupcake" widely portrayed one?

I wonder why the Manchester accent gets such an easy ride?  Maybe because it's the super duper wicked awesome metropolis cultural hot spot world capital, so a bad word should never be said about it.

The more 'welsh' the accent, the more offensive to the ears. I live just inside the border in Monmouthshire, where people are essentially Wenglish, so it's not such a problem. But some of the accents knocking around the Valleys regions are pretty difficult to tolerate and Swansea is another hotbed of stupidity. 

It doesn't matter where the accent 'is too', it'll undoubtedly be crap.

Makes you wonder why/how Brummie gets so much stick.

People don't like naaaaaysal accents.

I moved to Kent from Northampton in the mid 90s and get called everything from "Brummie" to "Posh".....mind you, they all sound like Mockney wanna be's or pikeys down here so.... :rolleyes:

The more 'welsh' the accent, the more offensive to the ears. I live just inside the border in Monmouthshire, where people are essentially Wenglish, so it's not such a problem. But some of the accents knocking around the Valleys regions are pretty difficult to tolerate and Swansea is another hotbed of stupidity.

It doesn't matter where the accent 'is too', it'll undoubtedly be crap.

Makes you wonder why/how Brummie gets so much stick.

People don't like naaaaaysal accents.

See my previous Manchester comment. The most nasal accent if all.

Even if it does it's still more pleasant on the ear than most regional accents.

Not in the opinion of most non-Brummies.

If you were to ask people from other places to do a Brummie accent, they don't do a Brummie accent. Odd that.

They mix up black country and brummie.

They speak comically slowly - an over exageration of brummie, but they also make up words like ay it likkeee? - which is black country.

Basically, no one outside of birmingham can do a proper brummie accent and even people like me, who are a mixture of the two areas family wise, sometimes slip into one or another.

• Like 2

The differences between Brummie and black country are so subtle as to be effectively irrelevant. Everybody says things like "Oh, there isn't just one scouse/manc/geordie/whatever accent, I can distinguish people from different parts of the city, blah blah blah..", but the fact remains that there ARE broad groups of accents, which is what people mean when they say they like/don't like particular ones. 

If you hate the Newcastle accent, you aren't going to like the Sunderland one. If you like South Wales, you'll probably like North Wales, etc. 

And most outsiders (British outsiders that is; with, say, Americans, all bets are off), don't like the West Midlands accent 'family'. 

We can blame it on media bias as much as we like, but it's a fact. 

• Like 1

Conversely, for those of you lucky enough to have felt the dulcet tones of my voice caress your cochlea, I imagine the accompanying mental image to be along the lines of...

2d7d4e229e52d503800f5c54781342be.jpg

Im with GarethRDR, wolves/west brom/walsall/birmingham its all the same accent to these ears.

But surely you can hear the dialects?  "Yam" (you/your) "Am" (is/are) and "ay" (isn't/ain't) are all Black Country exclusive.

Im with GarethRDR, wolves/west brom/walsall/birmingham its all the same accent to these ears.

But surely you can hear the dialects?  "Yam" (you/your) "Am" (is/are) and "ay" (isn't/ain't) are all Black Country exclusive.

So long as you apply the same degree of discernment to the accents of other UK regions, fair enough. 

But if you regard, say, Newcastle/Durham/Sunderland/Middlesbrough (or east end of London/Essex/Kent, or Gloucestershire/Dorset/Devon/Cornwall) as 'an accent', expect others to do the same for brummie/black country. 

So long as you apply the same degree of discernment to the accents of other UK regions, fair enough. 

But if you regard, say, Newcastle/Durham/Sunderland/Middlesbrough (or east end of London/Essex/Kent, or Gloucestershire/Dorset/Devon/Cornwall) as 'an accent', expect others to do the same for brummie/black country. 

I can pick these very easily these days (16 years of living in County Durham will do that), but I remember when I first saw Vic & Bob (pre moving up north), I assumed they were Geordies. Now I realise one is Darlington (South Durham), and the other Teesside, and are actually fairly different from each other, even.

Edited by dAVe80

I can pick these very easily these days (16 years of living in County Durham will do that), but I remember when I first saw Vic & Bob (pre moving up north), I assumed they were Geordies. Now I realise one is Darlington (South Durham), and the other Teesside, and are actually fairly different from each other, even.

I rest my case, m'lud. 

Unless you've lived for a good while in a particular area, the subtle variants of accent and dialect will tend to coalesce. You can tell the difference, now. But most people can't. 

I rest my case, m'lud. 

Unless you've lived for a good while in a particular area, the subtle variants of accent and dialect will tend to coalesce. You can tell the difference, now. But most people can't. 

But the point that Brummies don't make up words still stands.  But the close proximity of Bham/Bcountry means that people think they're the same.

Brummies just speak more slowly, they rarely make up words.

Gambol is a word. 

gam·bol  (gabreve.gifmprime.gifbschwa.gifl)

intr.v. gam·boled or gam·bolledgam·bol·ing or gam·bol·linggam·bols
To leap about playfully; frolic.
n.
A playful skipping or frolicking about.
[Alteration of French gambade, horse's jump, from Old French, perhaps from Old Italian gambata, from gamba, leg, from Late Latin, hoof,perhaps from Greek kampemacr.gifbend.]

What brummies have done is altered its meaning, to specifically refer to a forward roll. 
Edited by mjmooney

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â