Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I like that the "Most Liked Content" section's top post simply says "hh". So to a newcomer (and without the context) it just looks like we all love the letter H.

they'll assume we're all nazis
  • Like 1

From my trip to brum yesterday:

Five Guys - the soggiest, most pathetic excuse for a 'hamburger' ive ever had. A McDonald's 99p burger is much better then that shite I had yesterday. The £4 fries were decent though (yes that rights £4 pound!!!! for a carton of fries). Imo you cant beat gourmet burger kitchen in the mailbox.

Selfridges - They have ruined the mens section in selfridges. They used to have thr affordable clothes like diesel, all saints, topman, levis,, etc on one floor then the playboy extortionate clothes like alexander mcqueen, gucci, etc on the floor above. Now its all on one floor meaning the amount of affordable clothes has been reduced significantly.

Five Guys - the soggiest, most pathetic excuse for a 'hamburger' ive ever had. A McDonald's 99p burger is much better then that shite I had yesterday. The £4 fries were decent though (yes that rights £4 pound!!!! for a carton of fries). Imo you cant beat gourmet burger kitchen in the mailbox.

Selfridges - They have ruined the mens section in selfridges. They used to have thr affordable clothes like diesel, all saints, topman, levis,, etc on one floor then the playboy extortionate clothes like alexander mcqueen, gucci, etc on the floor above. Now its all on one floor meaning the amount of affordable clothes has been reduced significantly.

interesting take on the whole Five Guys thing that's trying to launch here

I know some on here love it, I know Stef thinks they're great, so this is just my opinion and no more valid than anybody else's and not a criticism of people's personal preferences....... But ... I stood outside the franchise in Hammersmith a couple of days ago and actually considered buying a burger as I was super hungry and in a rush. Then I noticed the prices. That's one hell of a business model, convince people your takeaway fast food burger, standard fries and a standard drink is worth nearly £15. Hell, if it's that good I might even cross the mall and buy a Krispy Kreme to finish off my twenty pound note.

interesting take on the whole Five Guys thing that's trying to launch here

I know some on here love it, I know Stef thinks they're great, so this is just my opinion and no more valid than anybody else's and not a criticism of people's personal preferences....... But ... I stood outside the franchise in Hammersmith a couple of days ago and actually considered buying a burger as I was super hungry and in a rush. Then I noticed the prices. That's one hell of a business model, convince people your takeaway fast food burger, standard fries and a standard drink is worth nearly £15. Hell, if it's that good I might even cross the mall and buy a Krispy Kreme to finish off my twenty pound note.

If your paying close to £7 for a burger, and £4 for fries you expect a bit of sophistication with your meal takeaway or not. The burger came out wrapped in kitchen foil which was a bad enough start. When I opened it, it was truly pathetic. A burger should not be that soggy. A burger should not be that tasteless. To make up for the lack of taste they add pointless things like mushrooms, jalapeños, hot sauces to your burger 'free of charge' (its not free though cause you have paid £7 for a takeaway burger).

the drinks machine is the best thing about five guys...

as for selfridges and the mens section, completely agree, but they aren't the only ones doing it, diffusion seem to have gone for more expensive brands too, i do most of my shopping in pretty green anyway, other than that scotts downstairs is ok for stuff like fred perry, penguin, lyle and scott, lacoste etc

Some farmer is growing crops near me, we don't know who or where exactly but he has this thing that fires a shot every 20mins to scare the crows away. It's so loud, my dog is terrified, she's actually going insane, wants to be inside the whole time. Then it also keeps waking me, I basically have the choice of close windows and can't sleep because of heat or leave them open and wake every 20mins. Going to get the 14 year old brother to find it tomorrow, smash the shit out of it & invite a loud of crows to watch.

Some farmer is growing crops near me, we don't know who or where exactly but he has this thing that fires a shot every 20mins to scare the crows away. It's so loud, my dog is terrified, she's actually going insane, wants to be inside the whole time. Then it also keeps waking me, I basically have the choice of close windows and can't sleep because of heat or leave them open and wake every 20mins. Going to get the 14 year old brother to find it tomorrow, smash the shit out of it & invite a loud of crows to watch.

Yeah same up here and the **** would spread slurry on the first fine summers day ......guess one of the disadvantages of country life 

So I'm off to Camp Bestival next week with the family

Borrowed a tent today and thought I'd have a practise go ... I mean how hard can it be

The air of Surrey turned positively blue , I'm sure the poxy tent had shrunk or something as it just wouldn't fit the poles I had

Rather helpfully the person I borrowed it from rung me up to laugh down the phone and then proceeded to pass me over to her husband ... Who laughed even more

They've promised to send their 10 year old over tomorrow to help me

Clearly my life is a failure

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

This weekend has been one of the worst run of night shifts, everything has been breaking and causing more problems, and now its got so bad I literally have nothing to do.

Add in that I'm absolutely shattered, and one of my colleagues will not shut up with their inane drivel, and im just about losing the will to live.

Thank god I have some holiday booked in after this week.

Edited by jjaacckk91

This weekend has been one of the worst run of night shifts, everything has been breaking and causing more problems, and now its got so bad I literally have nothing to do.

Add in that I'm absolutely shattered, and one of my colleagues will not shut up with their inane drivel, and im just about losing the will to live.

Doing the night shift throws the body "into chaos" and could cause long-term damage, warn researchers.

Shift work has been linked to higher rates of type 2 diabetes, heart attacks and cancer.

Now scientists at the Sleep Research Centre in Surrey have uncovered the disruption shift work causes at the deepest molecular level.

Experts said the scale, speed and severity of damage caused by being awake at night was a surprise.

Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
The human body has its own natural rhythm or body clock tuned to sleep at night and be active during the day.

It has profound effects on the body, altering everything from hormones and body temperature to athletic ability, mood and brain function.

The study, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, followed 22 people as their body was shifted from a normal pattern to that of a night-shift worker.

Blood tests showed that normally 6% of genes - the instructions contained in DNA - were precisely timed to be more or less active at specific times of the day.

Once the volunteers were working through the night, that genetic fine-tuning was lost.

Chrono-chaos

"Over 97% of rhythmic genes become out of sync with mistimed sleep and this really explains why we feel so bad during jet lag, or if we have to work irregular shifts," said Dr Simon Archer, one of the researchers at the University of Surrey.

Fellow researcher Prof Derk-Jan Dijk said every tissue in the body had its own daily rhythm, but with shifts that was lost with the heart running to a different time to the kidneys running to a different time to the brain.

He told the BBC: "It's chrono-chaos. It's like living in a house. There's a clock in every room in the house and in all of those rooms those clocks are now disrupted, which of course leads to chaos in the household."

Dave Tilley, who worked night shifts as a radio controller for an emergency doctor service, said: "I found the hardest part was a wall around 04:30. Strong coffee and Polo mints helped."

Wendy Smethurst, a doctor, said: "Have a dirty breakfast bap in the morning, sleeping tablet in the morning, shed loads of coffee, tea and chocolate. Also, getting to cuddle a new-born baby at 04:00 or see a baby born helps keep you awake."

Journalist Victoria Scott said: "Ear plugs and a visor. Vital for trying to sleep during light, noisy summer days with the windows open."

Philippa Perry said: "When I was working at McDonald's I tried to mend a toaster at 07:00 after I had been on all night. Forgot to unplug it. Shock threw me across room. Don't tackle or mend electrical appliances when you're tired."

Paramedic Rich Carter said: "Always listen to the shipping forecast around 01:00 as it means you are over halfway through the shift. I try never to miss it."

Studies have shown that shift workers getting too little sleep at the wrong time of day may be increasing their risk of type-2 diabetes and obesity.

Others analyses suggest heart attacks are more common in night workers.

Prof Dijk added: "We of course know that shift work and jet lag is associated with negative side effects and health consequences.

"They show up after several years of shift work. We believe these changes in rhythmic patterns of gene expression are likely to be related to some of those long-term health consequences."

Prof Hugh Piggins, a body-clock researcher from the University of Manchester, told the BBC: "The study indicated that the acute effects are quite severe.

"It is surprising how large an effect was noticed so quickly, it's perhaps a larger disruption than might have been appreciated."

He cautioned that it was a short-term study so any lasting changes are uncertain, but "you could imagine this would lead to a lot of health-related problems".

BBC

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â