Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Total strangers who start conversations, with the assumption that I share their racist views.

Can you elaborate on said interaction?

Oh it happens all the time. Most recent example: black dad in supermarket with a toddler. Toddler has a minor tantrum - nothing extreme, calms down within seconds. Old white woman next to me rolls her eyes and says something to the effect of "Typical. WE wouldn't stand for that sort of thing, eh?" 

Or the time when we had a central heating salesman round, who immediately started in with: "Nice house this, nice area. Not spoiled by the Pakis yet, not like down the road", etc. Needless to say we didn't make a purchase. 

Or whenever I told people I worked in Bradford, there was a fair chance I'd get all the "Bradistan" jokes. 

etc. Like I say, it happens depressingly frequently. 

Total strangers who start conversations, with the assumption that I share their racist views.

Oh it happens all the time. Most recent example: black dad in supermarket with a toddler. Toddler has a minor tantrum - nothing extreme, calms down within seconds. Old white woman next to me rolls her eyes and says something to the effect of "Typical. WE wouldn't stand for that sort of thing, eh?" 

Or the time when we had a central heating salesman round, who immediately started in with: "Nice house this, nice area. Not spoiled by the Pakis yet, not like down the road", etc. Needless to say we didn't make a purchase. 

Or whenever I told people I worked in Bradford, there was a fair chance I'd get all the "Bradistan" jokes. 

Need to start asking yourself if you look racist Mooney ;)

Need to start asking yourself if you look racist Mooney ;)

That is the conclusion I've come to. OK, I'm an old white bloke, but I don't walk around with an Ingerlund shirt on. 

:o

Where do you live?

:o

Where do you live?

Leeds. 

On the subject of people thinking I share their racist views, before I passed my driving test about a month and a half ago I got a taxi to New Street. Got to new street, asked how much the fare was, when he said its £10 for you because your white but if you were a ni***r or a p*** it would be £20. Needless to say I won't be using that taxi company again.

I'm a white English male and it doesn't happen to me that often. Now and then but not often. 

As a person of indian descent, born & lived in Bham/Solihull for 30 years, i've only experienced overt racism 3 times.

i've never been overcharged by a taxi driver for being asian, or had anyone say anything bad when my kids have thrown tantrums in supermarkets.

maybe they're thinking it but don't have the guts to say face to face. 

so instead they just b*tch to other white folk about me   :D

I'd say that England has one of the most tolerant non-racist people in the world, but there are always going to be one or two bad apples.

All of them bumping into mjmooney  ;)

• Like 2

We've had take down notices in the past from the FA for pictures people have taken at games.

"Personal use" is fine, according to Premier League rules:

I'm not sure that publishing a photo on a busy public web site fits under any legal definition of "Personal use". And apparently, neither do the FA's solicitors.

No, I get that.  It was more in response to the point that lots of clubs say that cameras aren't allowed, but the Premier League site says that they are.  While photos are only on the camera's memory card, they're still 'personal' but I've read lots of stories about cameras being confiscated etc.  Like their ridiculous rules regarding fixture lists, it's a hamfisted way of treating fans.

• Like 1

As a person of indian descent, born & lived in Bham/Solihull for 30 years, i've only experienced overt racism 3 times.

i've never been overcharged by a taxi driver for being asian, or had anyone say anything bad when my kids have thrown tantrums in supermarkets.

I'd say that England has one of the most tolerant non-racist people in the world, but there are always going to be one or two bad apples.

All of them bumping into mjmooney  ;)

Only 3 times in 30 years, that is incredibly low. Most of my Asian or black friends have had it worse then that. Although I agree Britain is more tolerant then most of Europe. 

Actually, that's food for thought. 

( a ) Maybe a lot more people than you think are closet racists

( b ) It rarely manifests itself in any overt way to the targets of the prejudice

I can't decide whether this is good news or bad news.  :unsure:

Edited by mjmooney

My dad told me the other day that he overheard our postman telling a neighbour that there's too many c**ns (no idea how you spell that) moving in around here and he wanted to start delivering to a 'better' area.

I would have reported him if I'd have heard it myself.

Â