Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Yup, it means either, which is **** ridiculous.

If people didn't frown on grammar nazis so much, we'd never have gotten to this ridiculous tipping point in the decline of society. I honestly feel that in general we are getting more and more stupid with each passing generation. Maybe that's just the way everybody feels when they start getting towards thirty though.

wait till you get near 50.....

I think the OED goes too far in its "we only document, we don't proscribe" attitude. 

Yes, words change meaning in popular usage, and the dictionary should reflect that. 'Gay' is a classic example. But when homosexuals starting calling themselves gay, they were using because it meant 'happy'. And it still does. Nobody is using the word in a 'wrong' way, they're simply extending its use, and pretty logically, too. 

But using 'literally' to mean 'metaphorically' is actually wrong - it misleads, and debases the understanding of what the word really means. 

I think the dictionary should give the correct definition, and then add something like: "In popular usage, sometimes used (incorrectly) to mean 'metaphorically'". 

• Like 4

Languages change and adapt over time. Words end up taking different meanings as society changes. It's nothing new.

Yeah but giving an adjective a new, extra, opposite meaning makes the word obsolete.

• Like 1

Think I've said it before on here but imo the clever people are getting cleverer and the stupid people are getting stupider.

I heard some factoid on the radio the other day to the effect that in most European countries, the younger generation are better educated and have a broader general knowledge than their parents, but in Britain the reverse is true. 

Make of it what you will. 

Think I've said it before on here but imo the clever people are getting cleverer and the stupid people are getting stupider.

I heard some factoid on the radio the other day to the effect that in most European countries, the younger generation are better educated and have a broader general knowledge than their parents, but in Britain the reverse is true. 

Britain is a shit country that is going to the dogs. I think that's well established.

Britain is a shit country that is going to the dogs. I think that's well established.

Er, no, I don't think it is, actually. 

I think the OED goes too far in its "we only document, we don't proscribe" attitude. 

That's as it should be.  People who want a prescriptive language should look at the bloody French. 

British class divide? Resources available/unavailable?

That's as it should be.  People who want a prescriptive language should look at the bloody French. 

I didn't say the approach was wrong, I said they go too far. 

The French go too far the other way. 

• Like 1

What swayed your decision Xela? ;)

The architecture, the juxtaposition of east meeting west and the chance to spaff over a VT favourite.

• Like 2

What swayed your decision Xela? ;)

The architecture, the juxtaposition of east meeting west and the chance to spaff over a VT favourite.

I have to warn you, I don't swallow. I just let it drip onto new carpets.

• Like 3

'Random', along with 'epic' and 'literally' are the most overused, incorrectly used words in the English language.

The misuse of 'ironic', when 'coincidence' is the appropriate descriptor. 

Also, the liberal employment of the word 'legend'. 

• Like 1

I think the debate on Britain and the state it is in, good or bad deserves a thread of it's own. It's a really good and the opinions of people on this interest me greatly. I won't start it though.

I think the debate on Britain and the state it is in, good or bad deserves a thread of it's own. It's a really good and the opinions of people on this interest me greatly. I won't start it though.

I would like this thread too but will also not start it. Why do so many people things this country is going down hill?

Also to keep on topic - the amount of sarcasm on this site and the fact it becomes catching.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â