Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Yeah, I've listened to them a little bit in later years. Not really gone through the albums though. It's just one of those bands that I never took the time out to listen to. Think I will though.

So it's shame on Billy Corgan then, or is it a tribute to Pixies? The chords and vocal is pretty much identical, although just for that little part.

I don't mind Smashing Pumpkins, but I've always considered them a bit of a Pixies rip off to be honest. The Pixies loom large over early to mid 90s American Alternative Rock. Even Kurt Cobain said Smells Like Teen Spirit was basically just ripping off The Pixies. 

• Like 2

Yeah they didn't really register for me for a very long time. Then a combination of a DAB radio and a Scroobius Pip song got me interested. Every now and again I'd hear something I liked but didn't know, glance at the dab information panel and it would say Pixies, again. 

The first song I really loved was Holiday Song, but I heard it first as a cover by James Mercer (the shins). Only found out later that it was Pixies. Where's a good place to start with them then? I grew up with Nirvana, Smashing Pumpinks and all that teen suffering so it's probably right up my alley.

The first song I really loved was Holiday Song, but I heard it first as a cover by James Mercer (the shins). Only found out later that it was Pixies. Where's a good place to start with them then? I grew up with Nirvana, Smashing Pumpinks and all that teen suffering so it's probably right up my alley.

Start at the start, Come On Pilgrim was their debut EP, then onto Surfer Rosa (their first album). Doolittle is excellent too.If you like those move onto Bossanova and Trompe le Monde. There's also a B sides and rarities album and the BBC sessions. Then there's their come back stuff EP1, EP2,& EP3. I must admit I'm not overly keen on their latest album Indie Cindy. I put that down to a lack of Kim Deal on bass.  ;)

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

I'm a huge fan Chris. Got all their albums, and most of Frank Black's solo (including the Frank Black & The Catholics) stuff, and The Breeders etc. Seen them live three times, as well as Frank Black solo and The Breeders. 

You'll love this then :D

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan Chris. Got all their albums, and most of Frank Black's solo (including the Frank Black & The Catholics) stuff, and The Breeders etc. Seen them live three times, as well as Frank Black solo and The Breeders. 

You'll love this then :D

Not heard that before. Must admit  WIMM? is probably one of my least favourite Pixies songs these days. Got played to death.

Seem to have pinged my right hamstring while playing golf.

I think that probably points towards a dodgy technique on my swing.

It doesn't wreck, but I can just feel it with every step of my right leg. I use that leg all the time as well! Well at least half of the time.

No, the Ramones were shit. They deserve to be a t-shirt.

Pixies were great and deserve better than to be on an Apple advert, even if it is hilarious that the folks in the ad are singing about a big penis.

Ramones have approximately 5 minutes of good material.

However, that 5 minutes beats the shit out of the combined total of all the output of 99.99% of all bands ever.

I'll happily put up with the comedy Asda tee shirts on fat blokes and kids for la petit mort.

• Like 1

It's a phenomenon that started with the Ramones, but I've noticed lately they are all out there. Including The Jam, which I find particularly upsetting. Another nail in the coffin of promises to keep the faith. But the Who, Wham, all sorts are out there in Asda and Tesco clothing aisles, and probably Primark and Matalan and others too. Don't mean nuffin really. Just cheap clothing. Made by kids somewhere hot and sweaty.

Been listening to Surfer Rosa today... I get the impression that the people listing to it at the time got a taste of something that was original and a little bit nuts, but that part of it is lost on me since it's already been a big part of the music I've been listening to for years.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â