Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

My father's unwillingness or inability to install toilet paper the right way. The next leaf is away from the wall. It isn't stuck up against it.

I'm with your Dad on this one.

I'm afraid Yillan knows the right way. Otherwise you occasioanlly have to try and lever behinds it to reach it!

606 closing. it's flawed, poorly moderated and full of WUMs but its got a load of damn decent posters on it who aren't Villans. :(

I think that Americanisation (or perhaps I should say Americanization) of English spelling is inevitable and irreversible. It's going to take over, and I can live with it.

It doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as stuff like there/their/they're, mis-spelling/misusing words like "diffuse" (for "defuse"), "flaunt" (for "flout"), etc., or mangled idioms such as "the proof is in the pudding".

Isn't "diffuse" the spread of a smell?

People who have days off work because its their birthday!

Seriously, why?

A day of rest. It's the one day of the year I get to be (and want to be) Lord Muck. Though mine is Dec 27th and I'm typically off work anyhoo, but I get a day off everything

People who have days off work because its their birthday!

Seriously, why?

A day of rest. It's the one day of the year I get to be (and want to be) Lord Muck. Though mine is Dec 27th and I'm typically off work anyhoo, but I get a day off everything

If your birthday was say December 8th, would you book a day off work Bri?

If your birthday was say December 8th, would you book a day off work Bri?

I'd either book that day or the next one (depending on whether I would be recovering from a night out). But yeah, I'd lose a day's leave over it either way.

I think that Americanisation (or perhaps I should say Americanization) of English spelling is inevitable and irreversible. It's going to take over, and I can live with it.

It doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as stuff like there/their/they're, mis-spelling/misusing words like "diffuse" (for "defuse"), "flaunt" (for "flout"), etc., or mangled idioms such as "the proof is in the pudding".

Isn't "diffuse" the spread of a smell?

Yes - or indeed any gaseous (or possibly liquid) substance.

But you often hear people talk about "diffusing" a bomb - and I've even seen it printed in that context.

I've never booked my birthday off. Saying that this year was the first birthday in employment I've had a work day birthday on.

So you've never done something you never had the chance to do anyway :lol:

Considering that a majority of native English speakers are US residents, it's not surprising....

Ah-Loo-Min-Um, bitches!

Considering that a majority of native English speakers are US residents, it's not surprising....

Ah-Loo-Min-Um, bitches!

Hmmm, not so happy about that one. But I'm not too fussed about some of the "French endings" changing - centre/center, etc. Metre/meter is slightly different, as I like the differentiation between the unit of measurement and the recording device - a meter and a metre are different things.

That Aston Villa was not included in the list at the end of this Wall Street Journal piece:

Wealthy Americans and Russians now own all or parts of the English soccer clubs Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea, a development that has alarmed some loyalists who feel caught in a replay of the Cold War.

It's all about dumbing down. Making things easier. Easier to spell. Easier to pronounce. But that's just a general social commentary really. It's also why things like Dancing On Ice are so popular. Peoples' brains are de-evolving.

I've never booked my birthday off. Saying that this year was the first birthday in employment I've had a work day birthday on.

So you've never done something you never had the chance to do anyway :lol:

No, I had the chance this year, my birthday was two weeks ago! I thought about it and said "meh"

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â