Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

That's what I meant! I was saying, you should (and do) know the difference and it SHOULD annoy you as a moneyman, considering brought implies an already owned product being loaned/ready to be used, as opposed to bought which would involve a transaction normally consisting of money.

Anyway, when my curtains are open when I'm trying to go to sleep. They HAVE to be closed.

I was on the bus (a rant for another day) on my way to work on Friday and this middle aged woman sat in front of me, just a regular plump middle aged woman, nothing really of note, until I noticed little patches of purple dye in her hair. What is is with these "I'll do something different... but not enough to stand out!" types? are they trying to recapture their youth? is it supposed to be fashionable? you look like a clearing in the woods!

I'd like to hear Mel Gibson's opinion on this matter.

I'm sure I've learnt more on VT about grammar than I did at School, not sure whether that's through bad school or bad pupil. Probably the latter.

Nah, bad school. I was a bad pupil, I did football quizzes with my mates at school, that was it. My grammar are perfect.

At school, me and some friends put a team together and we'd play against teams of other people we knew. Me and my friend who was our team's captain would spend most lessons just drawing up plans for training and tactics.

My parents got a letter from my RE teacher saying that I was falling behind in lessons, fortunately I got to the letter first so they never saw it. I went on to get a B in GCSE RE which was my best grade out of everything. I often wonder how I would have done in other classes if I got gotten letters from them.

I had a band copy. I used it for listing songs I wanted to learn with this fictitious band who were composed of my friends who didn't play instruments but I was trying to get them to learn. Too many guitarists. Not enough bassists and drummers. I'd like to find it again. Some good stuff in there. Days spent writing in it and not listening to teachers.

The band went on to become U2. I'm Bono, or something..

There's a reason I'm a football nut, because my school life consisted of

Pre-registration kickabout

Registration

Lesson 1 - football quizzes

Lesson 2 - football discussion

Break - heads and volleys

Lesson 3 - football tactics

Lesson 4 - More football quizzes

Lunch - football match

Lesson 5 - football discussion part II.

Then home to regular beatings and bread and water.

I think that Americanisation (or perhaps I should say Americanization) of English spelling is inevitable and irreversible. It's going to take over, and I can live with it.

It doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as stuff like there/their/they're, mis-spelling/misusing words like "diffuse" (for "defuse"), "flaunt" (for "flout"), etc., or mangled idioms such as "the proof is in the pudding".

As long as the rest of us can continue using the proper way without being nagged.

As for mangled idioms. I heard a good one watching the snooker the other day when Ken Doherty said "he grabbed the bull by the scruff of the neck" :lol:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â