Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Only on some (probably most) pumps though.

I've made that mistake before and it's pretty embarrassing 

I've yet to encounter one that doesn't reach, assuming one has parked in close proximity to the pump, and one is not driving an HGV. ;)

Maybe at some of the really old petrol stations, but there's not many of those about these days.

I love the fact that they even have signs up at many of these stations saying "PLEASE USE BOTH SIDES/LANES" and yet people sit there, comatose in their cars, waiting for "their" side to be free. 

Only on some (probably most) pumps though.

I've made that mistake before and it's pretty embarrassing 

Never happened to me, was it an old pump?

edit: meh, what Jon said

Edited by Tegis

Not particularly old, but certainly not brand new.

The tube (hose.. tube?) was attached at the bottom of the pump and there's absolutely no way it would have reached to the other side of the car :D

On a similar note, petrol station forecourts where it's too narrow so you can't leave until everyone in front of you has finished.

I've also fallen foul of a short pump (ooh-er), pretty embarrassing as Stevo says. 

The worst bit is facing all the people still queueing on the other side, who decided not to chance it, who now think you're an impatient fool.

Not particularly old, but certainly not brand new.

The tube (hose.. tube?) was attached at the bottom of the pump and there's absolutely no way it would have reached to the other side of the car :D

On a similar note, petrol station forecourts where it's too narrow so you can't leave until everyone in front of you has finished.

Especially when the muppet in front of you decides they're going to do what seems like their weekly shop before paying for their petrol.

• Like 2

Yep.

And again on a similar note, I've never understood why those petrol stations with half a supermarket stuck on them don't have some sort of petrol only lane, for people who have just bought petrol.

I hate when you but a bit of fuel in and pop in to pay and you're stuck behind some bint paying for 5 bags of shopping.

Pay at Pump is a beautiful invention.

The rules for turning your phone on airplane mode on an aircraft. I don't see why when it's on airplane mode you can't still listen to music.

Those rules are ancient. Based on optical drives or wifi on a laptop etc..

There are zero things leaving your phone on airplane mode. Every radio in the device is disabled and the headphones have a wire which transmits the music to my ears.

It's by far the most annoying thing about flying. Far worse than the Ryanair bag restrictions in annoyance.

And I always thought if it was THAT important to have your device turned off, then they'd police it more rigorously.

The amount of people who keep heir stuff on anyway is ridiculous.

The rules for turning your phone on airplane mode on an aircraft. I don't see why when it's on airplane mode you can't still listen to music.

There are zero things leaving your phone on airplane mode. Every radio in the device is disabled and the headphones have a wire which transmits the music to my ears.

It's by far the most annoying thing about flying. Far worse than the Ryanair bag restrictions in annoyance.

They only make you turn your music off during take off and landing. Which are the points during the flight where something is most likely to go wrong. If you are issuing emergency instructions to people you want to say it once and them get them either into the brace position or off the plane sharpish. What you don't want to have to do is keep repeating yourself millions of times so the clearing in the woods who can't cope without his trip-hop soundtrack can hear you. 

Once you're in the air you've got more time and its safer. 

You should have heard the fuss when the New York Marathon banned the use of earphones (people were not hearing and responding to instructions from the marshals).

I love my music, but I'm with the organisers all the way on that one.

They only make you turn your music off during take off and landing. Which are the points during the flight where something is most likely to go wrong. If you are issuing emergency instructions to people you want to say it once and them get them either into the brace position or off the plane sharpish. What you don't want to have to do is keep repeating yourself millions of times so the clearing in the woods who can't cope without his trip-hop soundtrack can hear you.

Those instructions are given before takeoff. People at emergency exits are told what they need to do and if something is going wrong I think I'll take my headphones off.

Look Flying is by a ridiculous distance the safest way if travelling. I don't get all these special instructions when I get on a train despite it being more dangerous or a bus or the death trap that is a car.

There is no way my device is emitting anything at all bar heat and light and possibly some harmless radiation. It poses no threat to the aircraft and as such I should be allowed to listen to my music unmolested.

You should have heard the fuss when the New York Marathon banned the use of earphones (people were not hearing and responding to instructions from the marshals).

It was the same at RideLondon. If you're in a bunch of 30+ cyclists going downhill at 30mph+ you need to be able to hear whats going on around you - especially if there is something in the road. When I'm out alone I do listen to music (1 ear) so I can still hear whats going on but never in a bunch of people. Just so dangerous. 

That makes some sense as there are huge crowds to deal with there. No instructions are ever given during landing of a plane. Everyone is seated.

Not to mention that the rules against listening to music has nothing to do with giving instructions. It's to do with lasers and magnets from ancient devices.

Edited by CVByrne

Those instructions are given before takeoff. People at emergency exits are told what they need to do and if something is going wrong I think I'll take my headphones off.

Look Flying is by a ridiculous distance the safest way if travelling. I don't get all these special instructions when I get on a train despite it being more dangerous or a bus or the death trap that is a car.

There is no way my device is emitting anything at all bar heat and light and possibly some harmless radiation. It poses no threat to the aircraft and as such I should be allowed to listen to my music unmolested.

What airline do you travel with? 

Yeah, I wasn't trying to compare the two, just spinning off on a related subject.

We've seen so many times in the world where failed crowd control has lead to many deaths. So I'd be in agreement on measures to improve safety.

Please take this in the spirit it is intended but I can't work out if this is epic stupidity or breath-taking arrogance on your part. 

DURING take off/landing ie. when the plane is in the air the flight crew are seated as well so no, I agree, they are not giving safety instructions. The only exception to this is during an emergency landing/crash where the crew will give out additional instructions BRACE BRACE  being one example that it might be in your interests to hear. If you are plugged into your mp3 player or whatever you won't hear it and consequently will probably not only endanger yourself but others as well. Its not a challenging concept to grasp is it? 

Sorry Eames I think it's ignorance on your part. The rules to do with electronic devices on take off and landing has utterly nothing to do with the need of air hostesses possibly needing to give extra instructions during an emergency. They are ONLY to do with the possibility that the devices would interfere with the planes instruments. This rule us vastly outdated and is being changed in the United States yet not in Europe.

Again you are talking about something that has nothing to do with the current regulations. So I don't see how your argument matters at all.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â