Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

There was a substantial woman on the tv last night on some programme about fat and food portions and exercise.

She was explaining how she had a problem all her life but would 'literally do anything, anything, to lose weight'. She then went on to explain that she'd tried the weight loss pills that stop you extracting fat from food. The only problem was you had no control over when the non absorbed fat slid out of your arse. Or, in her words 'I would have fried chicken in the night, take my pill, but in the morning it would be all over the bed'.

I'd suggest that if you were prepared to do 'literally anything' to lose weight, you might lay off the fried chicken.

That was the same program that told you exercise was basically pointless when it comes to weight loss, wasn't it?

Despite dragging on a bit, it was a bit of an eye opener.

yep, same one

Whilst the programme sort of hinted exercise was pointless, I did feel that was a little flippant. Surely the message should be don't diet and don't exercise to lose weight, because that tends to mean theat once you've 'achieved' you can then revert to some other behaviour (hence yo yo dieters).

The message is quite simple but not instant, watch what calories you stick in your mouth and balance them with the number you burn.

His point about burning two thirds of your daily calories by sitting there simply existing, and that exercise then inevitably leads to rest and / or eating was valid. But could have been taken as 'don't exercise', by those still seeking the lazy magic bullet.

There was a substantial woman on the tv last night on some programme about fat and food portions and exercise.

She was explaining how she had a problem all her life but would 'literally do anything, anything, to lose weight'. She then went on to explain that she'd tried the weight loss pills that stop you extracting fat from food. The only problem was you had no control over when the non absorbed fat slid out of your arse. Or, in her words 'I would have fried chicken in the night, take my pill, but in the morning it would be all over the bed'.

I'd suggest that if you were prepared to do 'literally anything' to lose weight, you might lay off the fried chicken.

That was the same program that told you exercise was basically pointless when it comes to weight loss, wasn't it?

yep, same one

Whilst the programme sort of hinted exercise was pointless, I did feel that was a little flippant. Surely the message should be don't diet and don't exercise to lose weight, because that tends to mean theat once you've 'achieved' you can then revert to some other behaviour (hence yo yo dieters).

The message is quite simple but not instant, watch what calories you stick in your mouth and balance them with the number you burn.

His point about burning two thirds of your daily calories by sitting there simply existing, and that exercise then inevitably leads to rest and / or eating was valid. But could have been taken as 'don't exercise', by those still seeking the lazy magic bullet.

I have to admit, I had to re-assure the missus afterwards that exercising was still beneficial. As you say, it's all about the magic ratio of calorie intake to expenditure.

I don't buy into the idea that exercising leads to resting at all. I deliberately go to the gym every Saturday morning because it gets me going for the day, and gives me the motivation to make the most of my day. It does lead to additional eating though, admittedly.

Someone drilling all morning in the wall next to my desk. I've even taken to monitoring the decibels and its consistently hitting the high 90's. I'm going to have a stinking headache if this carries on all day.

Is that true?? Fuuuuuck

and that exercise then inevitably leads to rest and / or eating was valid.

I hate this. Some of the stupid bints at work who are on 'diets' often apply the idiotic logic of "I went to the gym earlier so I can eat this cake".

To be fair they have a point.... if the object of the exercise is not to get fatter and they don't eat any more shit for the rest of the day. 

If they want to lose weight then doing the exercise and not eating more is kind of the point. 

I hate this. Some of the stupid bints at work who are on 'diets' often apply the idiotic logic of "I went to the gym earlier so I can eat this cake".

They'd probably be shocked to learn of the effort required to burn off the average slice of cake. When I say effort, I don't mean dawdling along on the treadmill for half an hour while watching homes under the hammer.

• Like 2

Yeah as you've alluded to.

If people don't change their diet then exercise, whilst not pointless, is certainly a bit futile (if you can even have a "bit futile")

People who read the gym thread will be bored of hearing me say "you can't out train a shit diet"

To be fair they have a point.... if the object of the exercise is not to get fatter and they don't eat any more shit for the rest of the day.

If they want to lose weight then doing the exercise and not eating more is kind of the point.

They're on diets and their goal is to lose weight so a post-gym cake is certainly not sensible. The surge in insulin caused by a sugar overload (the cake) causes the body to basically shut down its fat burning mechanism and the body scavenges extra glucose to store as energy (i.e. fat!).

So they have absolutely no point.

The Samsung whistle text alert! I hear it all the time, today was the breaking point, on train back to Birmingham from London the word removed in front of me had the bloody thing going off like once every 10 minutes. The sound of it makes my blood boil.

To quote the late great Phil Leotardo, anyone who has that ring tone should "**** die".

I agree totally. Every default sound on the Galaxy S3 is incredibly irritating. But that whistle is by far the worst of them.

The Samsung whistle text alert! I hear it all the time, today was the breaking point, on train back to Birmingham from London the word removed in front of me had the bloody thing going off like once every 10 minutes. The sound of it makes my blood boil.

To quote the late great Phil Leotardo, anyone who has that ring tone should "**** die".

I agree totally. Every default sound on the Galaxy S3 is incredibly irritating. But that whistle is by far the worst of them.

Yep

I had the zelda "item get" sound as my text alert but it started doing my nut in. So I changed it the other day to a default one. but there's **** all to choose from!

Not something that pisses me off, more just somewhere to post it. My granddad died this morning after cherryknocking death's door for the last 4 or 5 years. Rest in peace feller. Hope they're showing the football up there, else he's going to be very bored.

• Like 2

Not something that pisses me off, more just somewhere to post it. My granddad died this morning after cherryknocking death's door for the last 4 or 5 years. Rest in peace feller. Hope they're showing the football up there, else he's going to be very bored.

Sorry to hear that fella. Lost my Grandad in Feb and it still hurts.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â