Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

It's pretty straightforward surely?

Sometimes you get to watch what you want, some times she does.

No, not straight forward. If she wants to watch something on the TV she can. I wouldn't stop her. But what my mind cannot reconcile is why you have to be there watching it too.

If I want to watch champions league while she watches some show I'll watch it on another tv or on the laptop. If Villa are on I'd watch it on the big tv and she can watch her show on another tv.

But my mind cannot reconcile the need to force the other to watch something they do not have any interest in. I do genuinely feel pity for anyone in relationships that would do that.

Because doing things together is not forcing the other to watch your show. If you don't spend enough time together and the time together forced to watch the others show counts as that your relationship is a horrible broken one.

Sometimes you get to watch what you want, some times she does. You aim to find something that you'll both enjoy but there'll always be exceptions. I've yet to find anything on TV that's worth going and sitting in another room over. Allowing your other half to enjoy what she wants to watch while keeping her company does not make you pussy-whipped. Nor does it make you some kind of couch potato, it might just mean you would rather spend your evening with your other half than alone watching the latest episode of Star Trek.

No what it actually means is I'd hate to be in a relationship like that. Where time together in front of a tv is important. TV is a distraction from life.

My mum goes upstairs when the footie is on. She has her own V+ box and it's not an issue. In fact, my parents rarely watch anything together because their tastes are so different. 31 years and counting.

Sometimes you get to watch what you want, some times she does.

No, not straight forward. If she wants to watch something on the TV she can. I wouldn't stop her. But what my mind cannot reconcile is why you have to be there watching it too.

If I want to watch champions league while she watches some show I'll watch it on another tv or on the laptop. If Villa are on I'd watch it on the big tv and she can watch her show on another tv.

But my mind cannot reconcile the need to force the other to watch something they do not have any interest in. I do genuinely feel pity for anyone in relationships that would do that.

Well we clearly operate in different ways. Neither myself, nor my missus, would ever force the other to watch anything on TV. We only tend to sit down and watch TV together for about an hour or so at the end of the evening, during which time, we like to find something we can watch together. This is pretty much the only time we get to spend together during the working week (after dinner has been done etc), so it becomes important to both of us to share the time together.

It's not like TV is that important, it's really not, there's **** all on at the best of times. The important thing is spending some time relaxing together.

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 1

My mum goes upstairs when the footie is on. She has her own V+ box and it's not an issue. In fact, my parents rarely watch anything together because their tastes are so different. 31 years and counting.

Yeah that's what my parents do. They have 2 lounges and it's basically her lounge and his lounge.

But obviously not everybody has that space. People might only have 1 lounge, or 1 TV in the house.

It's not as easy for some people to just watch something somewhere else if they don't like what's on.

Yeah. people who sit in the lounge to watch TV together.

Those old fashioned bastards!

Yes that's exactly what I said :rolleyes:

What I said was being tied to the times a show is in tv is dead.

But if someone is watching something on TV you don't have to watch it with them. You can be there but surfing the Web on your laptop.

This doesn't mean your relationship is in trouble, it doesn't mean your relationship will head for trouble. This is actually imo more healthy than a controlling need to force your other half to watch something the do not enjoy.

I wonder how many people settled too easily and too early tbh.

But as usual, you've managed to completely patronise anyone who happens to do things differently to you.

Yeah that's what my parents do. They have 2 lounges and it's basically her lounge and his lounge.

But obviously not everybody has that space. People might only have 1 lounge, or 1 TV in the house.

It's not as easy for some people to just watch something somewhere else if they don't like what's on.

Yeah fair enough and my point was more directed at people (person?) who said that people who have to watch different things are failing in a relationship (paraphrased)

• Like 1

Yeah fair enough and my point was more directed at people (person?) who said that people who have to watch different things are failing in a relationship (paraphrased)

In fairness to Conor that's not even remotely what he said so it's not so much a paraphrase as a complete misunderstanding. He said if a large amount of the time people spend together in a relationship contains forced TV watching then you're in trouble. Having to watch different things isn't an issue and neither is mutual voluntary TV watching :) I think perhaps this is one of those topics where important nuances can be missed!

In fairness to Conor that's not even remotely what he said so it's not so much a paraphrase as a complete misunderstanding. He said if a large amount of the time people spend together in a relationship contains forced TV watching then you're in trouble. Having to watch different things isn't an issue and neither is mutual voluntary TV watching  :) I think perhaps this is one of those topics where important nuances can be missed!

I was talking about this.

Watching TV in separate rooms doesn't bode well for the future of the relationship.

In fairness to Conor that's not even remotely what he said so it's not so much a paraphrase as a complete misunderstanding. He said if a large amount of the time people spend together in a relationship contains forced TV watching then you're in trouble. Having to watch different things isn't an issue and neither is mutual voluntary TV watching  :) I think perhaps this is one of those topics where important nuances can be missed!

Watching TV in separate rooms doesn't bode well for the future of the relationship.

Then you can consider me suitably slapped on my big stupid wrist :D

Well, no, I stand by that.

If you spend your evenings in separate rooms watching TV, then I don't think that's particularly healthy in the long run. The inference being that spending the time together is far more important than getting to watch what you want on TV. Watching TV isn't important at all, regardless of what's 'on' , sitting down to a meal together and sacking the TV off for a while tends to be far more beneficial.

Edited by Shillzz

Fair point.

I personally get to spend a fairly limited amount of time with my other half, mainly due to her work hours, so the idea of stubbornly sitting in another room to watch something else seems pretty stupid. BUT, and there is a but, if you have hours at your disposal every day, and wish to get away from each other for a short period of time, then fair enough. Personally, I'd be off to the gym or for a run, but everyone's different.

well what are you expecting every night? by the time ive played football 3 times a week, we've been to the gym a few times a week, probably both been out twice a week, she's been to college 2 nights a week and we've been to the cinema twice....

believe it or not there are still a couple of hours a night I spend watching tv :o

That's fair enough. Each to their own :P

Since I've been working unsociable hours throughout the summer, my free time has been doing things so un-work related (so no sport), ergo lounging. When I start full time teaching in September, sport will get me away from the classroom and it'll be a different story and I'll be playing 3/4 times a week. Circumstances change for everybody :)

well what are you expecting every night? by the time ive played football 3 times a week, we've been to the gym a few times a week, probably both been out twice a week, she's been to college 2 nights a week and we've been to the cinema twice....

believe it or not there are still a couple of hours a night I spend watching tv :o

This is vaguely similar to my relationship. My point is that in those couple of hours, I quite like to spend them with the missus, not on my own. I've yet to find anything on TV that is worth sitting on my own over. 

Edited by Shillzz

This is vaguely similar to my relationship. My point is that in those couple of hours, I quite like to spend them with the missus, not on my own. I've yet to find anything on TV that is worth sitting on my own over. 

Villa?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â