Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

What really just annoyed me was i put a beer in the freezer and sat down on here for a while reading a few posts....now it's f***ing frozen.

You got a lucky escape. Frozen beer expands causing its container to explode.

Oh it'll taste like shit now too

Ice beer, done right, actually is an improvement over pale lager... the fact that it typically increases alcohol concentration by 50% thus getting one too drunk to taste it more quickly may contribute to that.

maximumicelabel.jpg

That looks like something a homeless person would drink to forget his life.

This abortion legislation debate and wrangling in the Irish parliament. They did polls 80% of voters want this legislation. Why do these politicians have to put a show on for why we hate them so much.

The worst is the Catholic Church and it's attempts to bully TDs into voting against. Showing more and more what a disgusting institution it is.

• Like 3

This abortion legislation debate and wrangling in the Irish parliament. They did polls 80% of voters want this legislation. Why do these politicians have to put a show on for why we hate them so much.

The worst is the Catholic Church and it's attempts to bully TDs into voting against. Showing more and more what a disgusting institution it is.

I completely agree with you, however the CC can't budge on abortion. It's fundamental to their beliefs. So all they're doing is behaving to type. What I find amusing is people who regard themselves as Catholic being in favour of abortion. Totally hypocritical and essentially means they're not Catholic at all.
  • Like 1

It's people trying to play both sides. Like all of my mates who have to go to Church on Christmas to keep their mothers happy.

Same goes for politicians, they have to play for votes and to do that especially outside of Dublin they have to look like they are Catholic so they don't alienate some voters.

They core of the matter is our generation and the next are not going to give two shits about the Church or any of that old Ireland nonsense.

We just need to tolerate this lot of political dinosaurs before properly breaking from the vile vile past our country has.

It will be a great moment in the further erosion of the remaining influence the Catholic Church has on political things and it's overall influence on the future of Ireland. The vast majority of people have less and less in common with the Catholic Churchs teachings. Which can only be a good thing.

Eventually in time we'll get a political leader who will openly denounce the institution. Hammer it for all the ills it has wrought on our country and categorically state that their dogma and proclamations can only serve to galvanise people's opposition to the institution as a whole.

It will be a great moment in the further erosion of the remaining influence the Catholic Church has on political things and it's overall influence on the future of Ireland. The vast majority of people have less and less in common with the Catholic Churchs teachings. Which can only be a good thing.

Eventually in time we'll get a political leader who will openly denounce the institution. Hammer it for all the ills it has wrought on our country and categorically state that their dogma and proclamations can only serve to galvanise people's opposition to the institution as a whole.

what impact (if any)  do you think it will  have on NI when it has a catholic majority ?

The vast majority of people in the Republic of Ireland, especially the newer generation (those under 30 really) have no real interest or care for Northern Ireland nor its politics.

My housemate here in London is from Belfast and genuinely had an eye opening experience when I and a few others from Republic explained how we have no interest in a united Ireland. It doesn't register as any kind of issue and certainly not a priority on anyone's agenda. I genuinely don't want to see the North merge with the South. I can't reconcile their culture anymore to that of the Republic and so as a new independent culture it needs to remain it's own country.

Northern Ireland will always remain northern Ireland as long as I am alive. It may some day try some further separation from the UK or some kind of designation as part of both Ireland and the UK. But it'll just be political posturing by a Sinn Fein majority up north.

But it must be remembered. I detest Sinn Fein more than nearly anything else in the political world in Ireland. A huge number of us do in the Republic. The mention of them ever being involved in a government in the Republic is toxic. If a party ever mooted the possibility they'd suffer huge outrage amongst their supporters.

Northern Ireland is Northern Ireland. It'll remain as such.

The vast majority of people in the Republic of Ireland, especially the newer generation (those under 30 really) have no real interest or care for Northern Ireland nor its politics.

My housemate here in London is from Belfast and genuinely had an eye opening experience when I and a few others from Republic explained how we have no interest in a united Ireland. It doesn't register as any kind of issue and certainly not a priority on anyone's agenda. I genuinely don't want to see the North merge with the South. I can't reconcile their culture anymore to that of the Republic and so as a new independent culture it needs to remain it's own country.

Northern Ireland will always remain northern Ireland as long as I am alive. It may some day try some further separation from the UK or some kind of designation as part of both Ireland and the UK. But it'll just be political posturing by a Sinn Fein majority up north.

But it must be remembered. I detest Sinn Fein more than nearly anything else in the political world in Ireland. A huge number of us do in the Republic. The mention of them ever being involved in a government in the Republic is toxic. If a party ever mooted the possibility they'd suffer huge outrage amongst their supporters.

Northern Ireland is Northern Ireland. It'll remain as such.

Exactly analagous to how the vast majority of people in Britain feel about the NI union jack-waving prod "loyalists". Outside of a few brain-damaged Rangers fans, we don't care.

Ian Paisley and his loathsome followers can do one as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe the Republic should rejoin the UK in place of NI ?  :D 

Maybe the Republic should rejoin the UK in place of NI ?  :D

Considering the job we're doing of running the place, I know people who'd have you back in a shot.

I also wholeheartedly agree with everything Conor says above. I actually think it's important that mainland Britain; and specifically people in Birmingham; realise just how much Sinn Féin (and their pals) are loathed in the Republic. Toxic is a good word to use when referring to the prospect of them being involved in any kind of a government. It simply wouldn't happen because the other party involved would immediately lose the vast majority of their support.

We just wanted home rule. We never wanted to leave. Ye had to monumentally **** it up and summarily execute the people responsible for the Easter Rising. Which turned a majority feeling in Ireland that they were criminals and was a despicable thing to do at a time of war. To them being hero's and proof that we'd never get home rule from oppressors.

Such things are of course confined to history now. Like what if Franz Ferdinand had taken seriously the threats in his life two years earlier.

My personal belief is culture is so similar between Britain and Ireland that such things such as some from Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland etc. believe is just not how the vast majority feel. We've innumerable more things in common than we'll ever have differences.

I've more in common with fellow Villa fans than I ever will with some farmer from Cork for example. :-)

• Like 1

Nobody likes Cork. It's down to a self inflated belief that they are somehow special and superior to other counties. Particularly other counties in Munster. It may stem from consistently competitive hurling and football teams.

The dislike for Dublin is obvious from the country people. We're the capital and nearly a third of population live in and around Dublin.

Cork though. Hell they think they should be capital. Haha

Nobody likes Cork. It's down to a self inflated belief that they are somehow special and superior to other counties.

so it's like the Irish Manchester then ?

We just wanted home rule. We never wanted to leave. Ye had to monumentally **** it up and summarily execute the people responsible for the Easter Rising. Which turned a majority feeling in Ireland that they were criminals and was a despicable thing to do at a time of war. To them being hero's and proof that we'd never get home rule from oppressors.

Such things are of course confined to history now. Like what if Franz Ferdinand had taken seriously the threats in his life two years earlier.

My personal belief is culture is so similar between Britain and Ireland that such things such as some from Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland etc. believe is just not how the vast majority feel. We've innumerable more things in common than we'll ever have differences.

I've more in common with fellow Villa fans than I ever will with some farmer from Cork for example. :-)

My feelings exactly. And it's not because my dad was a Dubliner - as I've said before, I'm no plastic paddy. But the cultural differences between BG and RoI are pretty minor, and no more marked than those between (say) Surrey and Newcastle.

NI seems like a weird anachronism even now.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â