Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

2 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

Yea, I've my tin foil hat on now that they took Collins out to end the pursuit of the Northern counties. As soon as he was gone the Dublin government lost all interest.  I know I'm completely wrong but it's a fun theory to get into. 

DeValera completely abandoned the 1916 proclamation the state was founded on and handed complete control to the church.  The true traitor of Ireland IMO.

I will definitely give those You Tube docs you recommended a look. I myself am, unfortunately,😉 English born and bred. However, a lot of my friends, who I grew up with, were Irish descent, so I kind of developed a romanticism for Irish culture, even more so, when my younger brother started supporting the "Huns" as his favourite Scottish team, had the Billy tapes and everything. It's always been the Hoops for me since then. I also started to read about Irish history, especially the dreadful time of Cromwell and his desperate attempt to wipe out Catholicism. I was watching some old footage, on You Tube, the other day, from eye witnesses who were involved in the battles with the Black and Tans. Really fascinating stuff. There's always more to learn, so, like I said, will find the time to watch that about the "Big Man.

Taiocfaidh ar lar!!

Edited by sheepyvillian

Really enjoying the Saudi doc on IPlayer. Fascinating stuff, although, the comment from one of the Western politicians about being concerned at the Saudi attacks on Houtis in Yemen because the weapons were imported from Western countries, certainly came across as somewhat disingenuous. 

On 30/08/2024 at 21:21, sheepyvillian said:

I will definitely give those You Tube docs you recommended a look. I myself am, unfortunately,😉 English born and bred. However, a lot of my friends, who I grew up with, were Irish descent, so I kind of developed a romanticism for Irish culture, even more so, when my younger brother started supporting the "Huns" as his favourite Scottish team, had the Billy tapes and everything. It's always been the Hoops for me since then. I also started to read about Irish history, especially the dreadful time of Cromwell and his desperate attempt to wipe out Catholicism. I was watching some old footage, on You Tube, the other day, from eye witnesses who were involved in the battles with the Black and Tans. Really fascinating stuff. There's always more to learn, so, like I said, will find the time to watch that about the "Big Man.

Taiocfaidh ar lar!!

If you are interested in the Northern conflict I would recommend a couple of docs that would open your eyes to the dirty tricks used by the British actively playing both sides against each other.  

Definitely give the Miami Showband Massacre a watch, it's been on Netflix and might still be.

Prime had a documentary called No Stone Unturned - tells the story how the RUC gave weapons to loyalists who went and murdered Rep. of Ireland fans watching a USA 94 match in pub in the North.

Also, Channel 4 did a doc called the Ballymurphy Massacre - shows how the Paras murdered innocent civilians in Belfast and tried to cover it up and blame the IRA.  Mad how they actively played both sides off each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Newry_Villan said:

If you are interested in the Northern conflict I would recommend a couple of docs that would open your eyes to the dirty tricks used by the British actively playing both sides against each other.  

Definitely give the Miami Showband Massacre a watch, it's been on Netflix and might still be.

Prime had a documentary called No Stone Unturned - tells the story how the RUC gave weapons to loyalists who went and murdered Rep. of Ireland fans watching a USA 94 match in pub in the North.

Also, Channel 4 did a doc called the Ballymurphy Massacre - shows how the Paras murdered innocent civilians in Belfast and tried to cover it up and blame the IRA.  Mad how they actively played both sides off each other.

Doesn't surprise me though. 

Another thing I always thought fascinating, the amount of Irish protestants who were republican, on both sides of the border. 

Now on to the 2nd episode of the BBC Saudi doc. 400 million, MBS paid, at auction, for a Lenorardo painting. I've heard of showing - off but that's just taking the proverbial. 

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

On 01/09/2024 at 18:37, sheepyvillian said:

Now on to the 2nd episode of the BBC Saudi doc. 400 million, MBS paid, at auction, for a Lenorardo painting. I've heard of showing - off but that's just taking the proverbial. 

He has almost infinite wealth. 400m is pocket change. What's more odd is that they think things like hosting a world cup, building the idiotic line city, neom, buying players for the Saudi league, etc  will secure the countries future when the oil runs out. 

If they had any sense they would be trying to become a world leader in solar power, renewable electricity generation, de salinization or something similar. Tourism isn't going to save them when there's no oil. 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2024 at 21:57, Newry_Villan said:

Spotlight on the Troubles : A Secret History is well worth watching for anyone interested in the conflict. 7 part series, if it’s not on the iPlayer I’m pretty sure it’s on YouTube.

Edited by AJG23

Corridors of Power : Should America police the world  ? documentary series on iPlayer just now.

8 parts, I’ve watched the ones on Bosnia, Kosovo , Darfur and Rwanda. Hard to watch at times for obvious reasons, ethnic cleansing will never be comfortable viewing. Bit like watching films or documentaries on the Holocaust, no matter how many I see I still struggle to comprehend that people actually went out and did these things to other people.

• Like 1

Thought I would watch the Watergate doc, again, on IPlayer. I have to say, what an odd looking man Hoover was. It's little wonder that people thought De Caprio was miscast when playing Hoover in that terrible film.

On reflection, that whole Watergate incident was something stranger than fiction. The Gordon Liddy guy is actually quite funny, in a very ridiculous sort of way. I could see  someone like Sam Rockwell playing him in a film.

I'm glad I made the decision to watch the Watergate doc again. It really takes some absorbing. When Nixon's lawyer comments that it might cost them at least a "Million" to keep someone quiet, Nixon, replies, candidly, "We can get that." It's just crazy to hear the President of the United States talking like an actual criminal. 

How weird it must feel for Paul McCartney when he watches himself having an informal conversation with John Lennon from nearly 60yrs ago. I wonder if it somehow sparks his mind back to that very conversation and what he did after that moment. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

I've got nothing to say about documentaries you have to watch. I just don't want sheepyvillian to think they are on their own. Having said that, sheepy if you were going for some kind of VT record of posts on the trot by same poster then please accept my apologies. 

• Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â