Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Black and British: A  Forgotten History. It's a doc I've just started watching on IPlayer. I never realised just how far the history of black people in Britain goes back. The bit about Samuel Johnson blew me away. 

• Like 2

I demand someone makes a film of Bill Richmond. Didn't even know about this guy but what a story. A black man who becomes a great sports personality in Georgian England. And that's just part of his history. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

The Black and British doc has really caught my attention. It's so Informative. I didn't realise The Black and White Minstrel Show went on till 1978. I actually remember it from my childhood, Saturday night's I think. 

The American girl who performed the minstral song, had a voice to die for.

Edited by sheepyvillian

The 4th episode of Black and British was truly heart breaking stuff. To see David Olusoga visit his childhood home where his family were the victims of horrendous racial abuse, was really painful viewing, to say the least. 

Finished Hitler and the Nazis evil on trial on netflix

Thought it was excellently done, the new angle on it did well to actually show some new stuff, would say having read hubris and nemesis I knew the early stuff but for those who don't this covers it well, it ot course skims over a lot of stuff but you'd need 3x the episodes to do it all justice 

Would say my only gripe with it is that it touches on it in the last episode but I wish they'd spent some more time on how much resources the final solution took up, they said like they switched the soldiers from the eastern front to the western front but the vast train network was busy moving Jews around rather than soldiers, that would have made for an interesting 30 mins rather than 30 seconds 

• Like 2

Watching the Linford doc on IPlayer. The part about when he nearly got stripped of his silver medal at Seoul really took me back. I remember "Ginsing" being the word on, virtually, every British persons lips for about a month.

Colin Hart commenting on the Sun's decision to go with the "Linford's Lunchbox" phrase, " It wasn't racist, it was done because they thought if was amusing." No, Colin, it was overtly racist and it certainly wasn't amusing.

Have taken a deep dive into Irish history, particularly the very short life of Michael Collins, assassinated at the age of 31.  If that interests you search Easter Rising Stories on YouTube and go from Part 1. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/07/2024 at 17:50, sheepyvillian said:

Been watching the new Nazi doc on Netflix. Didn't think I could learn much more, but interesting to hear about the American war reporter, William Shirer. 

They always get the strangest looking guy to play Hitler in the renactments. Makes sense really, I suppose. 

Started watching this having read through here and agree with all the posts from those who have watched it.

It's certainly enlightened me on different aspects of the war.

As for the bloke playing Hitler i could not get Sparks out of my mind..

Regardless of that, it's well worth watching.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Started the Cuba: Castro vs the World doc on IPlayer. I think I started to watch it before but obviously didn't finish it.

When I watch old clips of JFK speaking, I always feel a little spooked, knowing what horrible tragedy was to befall him. 

You really have to admire the way Castro stood up to the vile racist regime that was South Africa. None of that lip - service crap from him. A man who had the courage of his convictions. For that, I salute him posthumously. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

On 20/08/2024 at 20:31, Newry_Villan said:

Have taken a deep dive into Irish history, particularly the very short life of Michael Collins, assassinated at the age of 31.  If that interests you search Easter Rising Stories on YouTube and go from Part 1. 

Always had a vague interest in the "Big Man". I very much doubt he would have coseyd up to the Catholic Church like De Velera did. 

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Always had a vague interest in the "Big Man". I very much doubt he would have coseyd up to the Catholic Church like De Velera did. 

Yea, I've my tin foil hat on now that they took Collins out to end the pursuit of the Northern counties. As soon as he was gone the Dublin government lost all interest.  I know I'm completely wrong but it's a fun theory to get into. 

DeValera completely abandoned the 1916 proclamation the state was founded on and handed complete control to the church.  The true traitor of Ireland IMO.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â