Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

5 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I thought this was a really good series. I learnt a lot about Adolf's early life and rise to power. 

Only got one episode left.The Holocaust episode left me numb. Just unreal to think that really happened. 

On 28/07/2024 at 09:50, sheepyvillian said:

Been watching the new Nazi doc on Netflix. Didn't think I could learn much more, but interesting to hear about the American war reporter, William Shirer. 

They always get the strangest looking guy to play Hitler in the renactments. Makes sense really, I suppose. 

We watched it, very good 👍👍 Thought the exact same thing about “nothing new to learn” but was wrong. Having so much audio/video from the trials made for a great device for the film. Shirer had a pretty fascinating story 

• Like 1

IMG-0339.jpg

Finally got around to this gem after wanting to watch it for ages. Absolutely loved it, truly fascinating stuff. And I have little, if any, interest in Dune. Reminds me a lot of its musical counterparts of Lifehouse (Townshend/The Who) and Smile. Highly recommend it 

• Like 2

On 28/07/2024 at 09:50, sheepyvillian said:

They always get the strangest looking guy to play Hitler in the renactments. Makes sense really, I suppose. 

I like to think it’s one more way of punking him by ramping up the buffoonery to 11 

12 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

If ever a man was "Buffoonery" personified. 

I know what you mean, but buffoonery sounds like he was a harmless cartoon type of character. Whereas Hitler was an opportunist, scheming, megalomaniac and dangerous psychopath amongst other descriptions, but I wouldn't have called him a buffoon 😉 !

I will watch the series though, thanks for the recommendation. I read William Shirers book "The rise and fall of the third reiche" some years ago. It's a massive book, hard going at times, but very interesting.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watching Paris, a documentary about the City itself. It's on IPlayer. Unbelievable to think how old some of the eateries are in the City. Some actually date from before the Revolution. 

Why is that so surprising? The French Revolution was about 250 year's ago in 1789, there are eating establishments (pubs) in the UK that are over 1,100 year's old dating from around 900 AD. There's some debate about some pubs even being older than that (the Old Ferry Boat in Cambridgeshire is supposedly from 560 AD). Things blur a bit due to lack of records and some pubs temporarily closing before reopening again.

12 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I know what you mean, but buffoonery sounds like he was a harmless cartoon type of character. Whereas Hitler was an opportunist, scheming, megalomaniac and dangerous psychopath amongst other descriptions, but I wouldn't have called him a buffoon 😉 !

I will watch the series though, thanks for the recommendation. I read William Shirers book "The rise and fall of the third reiche" some years ago. It's a massive book, hard going at times, but very interesting.

What was it Otto Dietrich wrote, "In the twelve years of his rule in Germany Hitler produced the biggest confusion in government that has ever existed in a civilised state". I think "Buffoonery" is certainly apt for the latter part of his reign. His attitude towards high ranking Generals. The crazy obsession with Stalingrad. I find it quite startling that such a man could seduce so many. I remember some famous German woman once remarking after a speech Hitler had given, "He just seemed very loud and quite angry." Wasn't he just.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Why is that so surprising? The French Revolution was about 250 year's ago in 1789, there are eating establishments (pubs) in the UK that are over 1,100 year's old dating from around 900 AD. There's some debate about some pubs even being older than that (the Old Ferry Boat in Cambridgeshire is supposedly from 560 AD). Things blur a bit due to lack of records and some pubs temporarily closing before reopening again.

That's pubs. The Crown pub in Birmingham City Centre dates from the 13th century. I don't know many restaurants that are as old, hence, my surprise at how long those Paris restaurants had been operating. It's a long time imo. It was interesting, also, how the Paris restaurants had become an intrinsic part of the Revolution. That's what fascinated me, how intertwined some of those establishments were with 1792 France.

8 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Agree and after posting buffoonery I knew I should have edited my post 👍👍

The series is well worth your time 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I find it quite startling that such a man could seduce so many. I remember some famous German woman once remarking after a speech Hitler had given, "He just seemed very loud and quite angry." Wasn't he just.

Where have we heard that before? 🤔

11 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Why is that so surprising? The French Revolution was about 250 year's ago in 1789, there are eating establishments (pubs) in the UK that are over 1,100 year's old dating from around 900 AD. 

Gotta be a few Wetherspoon’s in that group 😉

• Like 1

On 03/08/2024 at 12:58, Nor-Cal Villan said:

IMG-0339.jpg

Finally got around to this gem after wanting to watch it for ages. Absolutely loved it, truly fascinating stuff. And I have little, if any, interest in Dune. Reminds me a lot of its musical counterparts of Lifehouse (Townshend/The Who) and Smile. Highly recommend it 

Jodorowsky is a madman. Have you seen Santa Sangre?

7 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Jodorowsky is a madman. Have you seen Santa Sangre?

I have! When I first met my wife we saw that pretty early in our courtship 🤣 I have not seen either The Holy Mountain or El Topo but both have been on my list for a long time. Definitely gonna watch them sooner than later 

3 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I have! When I first met my wife we saw that pretty early in our courtship 🤣 I have not seen either The Holy Mountain or El Topo but both have been on my list for a long time. Definitely gonna watch them sooner than later 

The Holy Mountain is amazing, it just keeps coming at you with these extraordinary images, it's relentless,

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â