Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 16/11/2021 at 19:01, TheAuthority said:

Interestingly @maqroll Edward Bernays who is quoted at the start of that doc was Sigmund Freud's nephew.

Adam Curtis did a long documentary called "The Century of the Self" which focusses on Bernays. I happen to think it is Curtis's best documentary. Some of his later stuff is very rambly. I have posted it in here before but if you haven't seen it I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Here is part 1.

I don't have enough likes for this. Every time I meet someone who's in PR and hasn't heard of Edward Bernays (all of them) I'm kind of shocked.

Curtis's Power of Nightmares was good too. Stands the test of time.

Edited by Vancvillan
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Got Amazon for the football, been watching a few docs. Just watched " Roy Shaw Brute Force". Interesting watch, if your interested in that sort of stuff. Guy was a psycho, still hard as nails at 70.

As you’ve got Prime, check out Kaiser: The Greatest Footballer Never to Play Football - brilliant football doc with a difference! 

• Like 1

I've only seen bits of the Get Back documentary, but I can see why the band broke up looking at how mental Yoko was in the recording sessions. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've only seen bits of the Get Back documentary, but I can see why the band broke up looking at how mental Yoko was in the recording sessions. 

She was weird but not actually that bad

If anything I'd say it shows that there isn't any one reason why they split it was just everything

One of the best early things in it are the looks Paul and John give each other, you can see they're just mates who love each other and want to mess about, there's moments of connections with all of them as a pair but then also moments where you can see that they don't fit together and it's almost surprising they managed to achieve so much 

I'm through the first two parts of Get Back and have found it pretty compelling, though why it's not spread over 6, 7 or 8 episodes is pretty unfathomable. The second episode is 2 hours 53 for instance, which is just way too long. It was a chore to get through the last third, which it wouldn't have been had it been separated out. Course I've got the pause button, but I feel like Peter Jackson should be making that decision for me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Milfner said:

I'm through the first two parts of Get Back and have found it pretty compelling, though why it's not spread over 6, 7 or 8 episodes is pretty unfathomable. The second episode is 2 hours 53 for instance, which is just way too long. It was a chore to get through the last third, which it wouldn't have been had it been separated out. Course I've got the pause button, but I feel like Peter Jackson should be making that decision for me. 

completely agree, i watched it over 6 or 7 sessions 

the problem is that its filled with absolute gems in the middle of nowhere with no warning and i would guess different for every viewer too but the way its been done with the length means that it caused me to drift, i was watching it via my tablet while playing FM on the TV, its just ambling along with nothing happening and then Lennon shouts "I Dig A Pygmy' by Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf-Aids! Phase one, in which Doris gets her oats!"

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

thats the magic of the documentary but the length is fighting you on it

• Like 2

I thought Get Back was fantastic. There's a scene at the start of episode 3 where Heather comes into studio and they are all jamming and dancing, having a good time basically. Its magical footage that I can't believe has only just been unearthed.

Yoko though....was she sharing the same kidney as John? Just weird throughout.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

I thought Get Back was fantastic. There's a scene at the start of episode 3 where Heather comes into studio and they are all jamming and dancing, having a good time basically. Its magical footage that I can't believe has only just been unearthed.

Yoko though....was she sharing the same kidney as John? Just weird throughout.

Heather? I am not that far into it yet but if Heather Mills makes an appearance I really will tip my hat to Jackson for getting that footage. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Heather? I am not that far into it yet but if Heather Mills makes an appearance I really will tip my hat to Jackson for getting that footage. 

Heather was Linda's daughter from her first marriage. Must be about 5yr old at a guess in the footage.

7 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Heather was Linda's daughter from her first marriage. Must be about 5yr old at a guess in the footage.

Ah. I didn't even know she had a daughter from the first marriage. 

23 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I would put the Paul and Heather stuff in my top 5 moments of the whole thing, both just looked so genuinely happy and playful together 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 03:01, TheAuthority said:

Interestingly @maqroll Edward Bernays who is quoted at the start of that doc was Sigmund Freud's nephew.

Adam Curtis did a long documentary called "The Century of the Self" which focusses on Bernays. I happen to think it is Curtis's best documentary. Some of his later stuff is very rambly. I have posted it in here before but if you haven't seen it I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Here is part 1.

Clement Freud, wasnt he a wrong en? 

Watching world war 2 in colour Road to victory on netlfix

A few episodes in and I swear I've seen this before... And then there's the sicilly episode talking about the yanks, the new York mafia and the invasion of the island, thats genuinely new for me and I found it really interesting 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â