Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

He could play while Delph sits out his suspensions and injuries, or if we need to go 442 in certain situations :)

IF we do want him maybe you should sit out of the negotiations!

He could play while Delph sits out his suspensions and injuries, or if we need to go 442 in certain situations :)

IF we do want him maybe you should sit out of the negotiations!

Fair comment :D

Just throwing it out there - but my Man U supporting friend reckons this is a smoke screen for A Youngs return to villa. I'm smelling utter cack, but there you go.

Wow they really want him out don't they.

Could it be that the new Manchester United manager has been suffering recurring 93rd minute nightmares featuring Young for the past few years, and therefore wants him out?

• Like 1

Barry was probably the only player we sold that we didnt really miss when he left cus we had milner to put in his place.

Young, laursen, milner and downing were all much bigger losses than barry. Id take him back on a free and wages in line with our budget.

• Like 1

Young can shove any return so faaaar up his a*se it comes out of his face and back up his a*se again

Then back  out of his face & up his arse again & again & again & again non stop.

Good call Spoony.

Young - possibly the most over rated player ever to pull on a Villa shirt.

Don't know where people get these ideas from. Young was fantastic for us, offered real excitement most games and would walk into our team any day.

And the anger towards him leaving? It was Man Utd who came along and he has won the Premier League, as well as playing in the Champions League etc.

I rejoiced the day he left & we got to rip Man U off too for £16M. Great to see some transfer business work out in our favour for a change.

What happened to Young since he left and what happened to us? We have been in a constant fight for relegation and played badly for two years, scoring little and letting in many. He has finished 2nd and 1st in the league with his new club, even though he played little last season due to injuries. I would say the transfer business didn't work in our favour, at least I fail to see how. We have seriously lacked both crosses and trickery from the wing, nobody in our midfield is even remotely close to being as good as Ashley Young.

Barry was probably the only player we sold that we didnt really miss when he left cus we had milner to put in his place.

Young, laursen, milner and downing were all much bigger losses than barry. Id take him back on a free and wages in line with our budget.

Really?

I didn't miss Downing one iota

What happened to Young since he left and what happened to us? We have been in a constant fight for relegation and played badly for two years, scoring little and letting in many. He has finished 2nd and 1st in the league with his new club, even though he played little last season due to injuries. I would say the transfer business didn't work in our favour, at least I fail to see how. We have seriously lacked both crosses and trickery from the wing, nobody in our midfield is even remotely close to being as good as Ashley Young.

We certainly didn't miss his over-hit corners that went out for a goal kick almost every time, for the last season he was here.

Westwood's corners > Young's corners

After the season Downing had come off, he was much more of a loss. Hindsight is wonderful and he has pretty much had the Liverpool career that I hoped he'd have, but I won't re-write history and pretend I wasn't gutted that we'd lost by far and away our POTS at the time.

Really?

I didn't miss Downing one iota

This is how I see it to, had Downing stayed theres a good chance he would have suffered.

We certainly didn't miss his over-hit corners that went out for a goal kick almost every time, for the last season he was here.

Westwood's corners > Young's corners

or his checking back inside from the left onto his right foot & then constantly crossing beyond everybody & out for a goal kick. Or his petulance, or his arrogance. Totally, totally over rated.

Young wouldn't really fit into the current system. He really should've stayed another year with us I think, for his own benefit if nothing else

Yeah that premiership title medal must be a real kick in the teeth.

Young wouldn't really fit into the current system. He really should've stayed another year with us I think, for his own benefit if nothing else

I was going to say something similar until I remembered he won his title with United in his 2nd year.  He would've just watched Barry win his while he was still at Villa.  Granted we don't know how things work out if you hang around, but the point is that hanging around for one more year would not necessarily have meant losing out on his title or playing under Fergie.  But yeah you tend to make those career moves as and when they arise.

I was going to say something similar until I remembered he won his title with United in his 2nd year.  He would've just watched Barry win his while he was still at Villa.  Granted we don't know how things work out if you hang around, but the point is that hanging around for one more year would not necessarily have meant losing out on his title or playing under Fergie.  But yeah you tend to make those career moves as and when they arise.

For me, although he was by far our best player, Ash was very much on the way down in terms of his form for Villa. He needed a change and he took it. Ironically his best United form came in the first season when they did not win anything.

Hindsight included, another fantastic piece of business from Lerner if you ask me. 16.5m was it with 1 year left on his contract. Right move at the right time for both Villa and Ash imo.

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

I'd rather see what Tonev can do on the wing rather than watch  "superstar" Ashley Young dribble into the corner, do a couple of step overs and sky a cross well over everyone's head.

• Like 1

I'd rather see what Tonev can do on the wing rather than watch  "superstar" Ashley Young dribble into the corner, do a couple of step overs and sky a cross well over everyone's head.

Ashley Young - The Ashley Young who as of Feb 2011 was 7th in the all time standings for assist rate in the premiership?

Ashley Young who played a part (either assisted or scored) in well over 100 goals for Villa? 

Sure, he has faults but lets not kid ourselves he wouldn't slot straight into our starting 11 providing he was fit.

Edited by Woodytom

Ashley Young - The Ashley Young who as of Feb 2011 was 7th in the all time standings for assist rate in the premiership?

Ashley Young who played a part (either assisted or scored) in well over 100 goals for Villa? 

Sure, he has faults but lets not kid ourselves he wouldn't slot straight into our starting 11 providing he was fit.

I have it that he scored 39 goals in 155 apps for us. That would mean 61 assists in those apps?

Source please. 

Young wasn't great in his last year for us, but I doubt that was a reflection on his ability. More on his personality. Saying that, i think we got more than we should have for him considering the circumstances.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I have it that he scored 39 goals in 155 apps for us. That would mean 61 assists in those apps?

Source please. 

Trying to find something a bit more concrete than the article that had him 7th in the all time assist rate (which said he was on 70 odd) in Feb 2011 since signing.

Didnt he get like 17 in one season just in the league?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â