Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

I think people saying No to him is a bit ridiculous. He was a regular for the league winner and runner-up in last 2 seasons and we have talented youngsters but just survived relegation.

For right wages it is a no brainer

This!

Well that logic is flawed for starters and as already stated he earns more than nearly as much as our first 11 probably.

You clearly missed the last line in Zatman's post

No i didnt miss it or shall we all just assume he'll take an 60-80% cut in wages? Also for he "right" wages i still wouldnt take him, that was my point.

Who cares. If we put a £ value on him per week, that's what we offer. If he takes it, he takes it. If he doesn't we don't sign him. The exact same as every other potential signing ever. 

I'm aware we would make an offer we deem acceptable.  :mellow:

My point is that it's **** pointless unless he or City are happy to take a financial hit for our sake. Is there anything to suggest either of them would or are we just offering pay cuts to people in the hope that they have contract signing tourettes?

Who cares. If we put a £ value on him per week, that's what we offer. If he takes it, he takes it. If he doesn't we don't sign him. The exact same as every other potential signing ever. 

I'm aware we would make an offer we deem acceptable.  :mellow:

My point is that it's **** pointless unless he or City are happy to take a financial hit for our sake. Is there anything to suggest either of them would or are we just offering pay cuts to people in the hope that they have contract signing tourettes?

Nothing at all to suggest it, but like any other player we're not going to offer him more than we're willing to pay. There seems to be a massive assumption running through the thread that we'd pay him what he's on at City, which we clearly wouldn't, or that we shouldn't want him based on his wages. We can want him but not want to pay him huge money, that'd give him a decision to make.

My point is that saying no to this because of the money he's on is a bit silly, as we're not going to mug ourselves IF we're interested. The likeliest scenario is that if we were interested, we'd offer him a deal he didn't agree to and wouldn't join

• Like 1

Barry chose Man City against us at a crucial time in our development when we were actually in with a chance of achieving Champions League football ourselves, so, given his choice then, I would much rather that he didn't return to Villa at anytime ever now.

Please explain to me where you see the bitterness in my post?

Given the sentence above it, is that a serious question?

Yes! He chose Man City & if it transpires that they want to dispense  with his services so be it. He made it perfectly clear last time that Villa didn't match his ambitions so why would I want him back now. I am not bitter, but just stating the facts as they were at that time & merely asking the question what is so different about us now that he saw fit to leave us in the first place. We are actually lower in the league now too. So the point I am making is that the reasons Barry made for wanting away in the first place now make it impossible for him to return or am I missing something here?

One thing that hasn't changed in all that time is my love for the Villa. (something that you may be getting confused with bitterness?) I loved the Villa when Barry left & I love them with the same equal passion today.

But the facts (Barry chose City over staying here) and your subsequent opinion that you don't want him back, are only linked by your personal feelings. They have no bearing on whether or not he might come back. 

Go back & read the OP. The question is would you take Barry Back. I have merely answered that question. Surely every poster on here expresses their own personal feelings or am I missing something? I think not.

You're missing something.

There's logic in your post where you've explained why Barry left, your opinion is that his reasons for leaving mean that you wouldn't have him back. For others, his reasons for leaving would not affect their opinion on whether or not they would have him back. Logically, he went to achieve something and he's done that, there's no reason why he wouldn't come back if he was looking for a club. The only thing you're being picked up on is presenting your opinion as a logical reasoning based on facts.

Regardless, the link is pretty tenuous and I can't see it happening either way.

OBE - Oncemore I appeal to logic. I have explained my reasons which you now appear to accept & understand. For others {that you refer to above) that is their opinion & not mine. You can't beat me up over what others think. They can speak for themselves, as is their prerogative - & I will certainly do the same as you can now see that I have as that is my prerogative.

Hopefully everything is now completely & uneqivocally clear?

Also, as you say, the link is pretty tenuous so hopefully the differing opinions on this thread are merely a storm in a teacup.

I think he is exactly the sort of player we could do with, a mature and experienced head in the side to give a little bit of stability and wisdom to younger legs around him. His passing would suit a 433 formation as well with pace in front of him as we already know.

I can't personally see us being in for him, it doesn't really seem likely with Lambert's approach but I know that Barry always said privately he would like to return and wanted to finish his career in the midlands.

Can't see it happening personally but I'd welcome him back.

These are good points, but I just can't get around the fact that he pushed off when we could have been going places with him. It was understandable from his point of view, having given us good service an' all, and maybe I'm not being totally rational, but I don't care.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

We are more likely to sign Belhanda as he fits the current recruitment policy (and even that is unlikely).

I do admire Gareth Barry. A solid player and professional and he was a good player for us but we as a club are changing with our ideals, way of playing, recruitment and finances. This signing would upset the apple cart and send the wrong message so I would decline a return for Barry.

We need to find the next Gareth Barry, that is what we should be identifying ourselves as.

He's slow and about as agile & mobile as a brick wall, and I can't see what he would contribute that we don't have already. With Westwood-Barry as some have mentioned there would be two players doing the exact same thing and I don't think neither is very good at exerting pressure and gaining possession and that would leave us weak.

He's not a ball winner or an attacking player and the only role he could fill IMO would be the Westwood role, and I think Westwood does that better and potentially a whole lot better in the seasons to come. When you have 3 forwards you need a few with lots of energy and aggression in midfield, so Barry might do well playing behind Sylla and Delph, but why drop Westwood?

• Like 4

My point is that saying no to this because of the money he's on is a bit silly, as we're not going to mug ourselves IF we're interested.

I don't really follow this. Have you seen our squad? Ireland, Bent, Hutton, Given and the recently released Dunne are testament to the fact our board are **** happy to mug themselves silly. The only way Barry joins us is if we're paying him more than we're paying Bent IMO and sadly I think Randy and Faulkner would fall for that. Thankfully I don't think Lambert is interested.

Edited by ArteSuave

I don't see it happening but I'd be really happy to have him back. Gave the great club service so no personal dislike and his move was completely justified. As many have said from a playing point of view, a year or two left in him at a real high level which would see him comfortably in our team. Super footballer, intelligent, good defensively, leadership and will give players like Westwood a chance to learn and grow further. 

No i didnt miss it or shall we all just assume he'll take an 60-80% cut in wages? Also for he "right" wages i still wouldnt take him, that was my point.

I'd class a 60% pay cut as the "right" wages, yeah. All Zatman said was that he'd take him for the right wages, he didn't say he'd come here for them

My point is that saying no to this because of the money he's on is a bit silly, as we're not going to mug ourselves IF we're interested.

I don't really follow this. Have you seen our squad? Ireland, Bent, Hutton, Given and the recently released Dunne 

How many of them did Lambert sign?

I voted yes but I wouldn't be desperate about it.

If it was a low fee, a modest wage (supplemented by City for this final year of his contract with them), and perhaps a two year contract with a look to adding him to the coaching staff afterwards then I'd like it.

• Like 1

I voted yes but I wouldn't be desperate about it.

If it was a low fee, a modest wage (supplemented by City for this final year of his contract with them), and perhaps a two year contract with a look to adding him to the coaching staff afterwards then I'd like it.

Pretty much this.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â