Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

Two nights ago I mentioned we should try to sign Tomas Rosicky because he is the type of midfielder we need right now and a lot of you agreed with me but said that he is not a Lambert type signing because he is too old. I said that Rosicky's experience would be good to have but again, he is not a Lambert type signing. So now I ask, why is Rosicky not a Lambert type signing, but suddenly Barry is. 

Who is that directed at?

No one is particular. I just want to point out how everyone's opinion managed to change within a couple of nights.

Two nights ago I mentioned we should try to sign Tomas Rosicky because he is the type of midfielder we need right now and a lot of you agreed with me but said that he is not a Lambert type signing because he is too old. I said that Rosicky's experience would be good to have but again, he is not a Lambert type signing. So now I ask, why is Rosicky not a Lambert type signing, but suddenly Barry is.

I would want Rosicky at all. He would turn out to be another Pires, Barry would put some effort in to playing for us. Rosicky would not.

When he left the talk at the time was that after his time at Citeh he wanted to return to Villa. Can't see Lambert wanting him. Can't see the club being able to afford him. Don't think he's worth even half of that apparent £100,000 a week wages anymore either.

Think it may well be Barry trying to engineer a move to somewhere he wants to go, rather than ending up somewhere to go to just so he gets into a team.

Having said that - we do need a captain. And I certainly think we need some experience and Barry would fit both.

When he left the talk at the time was that after his time at Citeh he wanted to return to Villa. Can't see Lambert wanting him. Can't see the club being able to afford him. Don't think he's worth even half of that apparent £100,000 a week wages anymore either.

Think it may well be Barry trying to engineer a move to somewhere he wants to go, rather than ending up somewhere to go to just so he gets into a team.

Having said that - we do need a captain. And I certainly think we need some experience and Barry would fit both.

If he genuinely wanted to come back, we should be offering him a 2 year contract at £30,000 a week. That would be proof enough to meas to  what his motivation is, money or being back at Villa.

I don't know how many of you actually watched Barrh last year but he's not the player he once was. At 32 and on the decline, he's only going to get worse.

He's no Carrick or Scholes that can keep it up with age. His passing is good but not that good

He'd still walk into our team.

I don't know how many of you actually watched Barrh last year but he's not the player he once was. At 32 and on the decline, he's only going to get worse.

He's no Carrick or Scholes that can keep it up with age. His passing is good but not that good

Perhaps right now. One year later? Two years later? Unlikely.

I could take him in as a rotational player on half his wages, but anything other than that is nothing more than a "quick fix."

It's the same exact thing MON would've done.

• Like 2

If he genuinely wanted to come back, we should be offering him a 2 year contract at £30,000 a week. That would be proof enough to meas to  what his motivation is, money or being back at Villa.

I dont think Barry is motivated by money. You would get more effort from Barry than Ireland and Nzogbia combined. FACT

Perhaps right now. One year later? Two years later? Unlikely.

I could take him in as a rotational player on half his wages, but anything other than that is nothing more than a "quick fix."

It's the same exact thing MON would've done.

He is 32 not 42. Barry has two good years left

I would want Rosicky at all. He would turn out to be another Pires, Barry would put some effort in to playing for us. Rosicky would not.

You have no idea who Rosicky is do you? That is quite obvious from this post. Rosicky is not the type of player to just accept a pay check and not play. Plus why would he not put in any effort right before the world cup? So the Czech people will think he is no longer good enough and wont be called in? Yes your logic is flawless.

Pires wasn't good enough when he came here. Rosicky is still one of Arsenal's best midfielders. This isn't even about signing rosicky, so stop trying to take this thread off topic.

They're both experienced Premier League players, but there are two big differences that mean people would prefer Barry.

1) Barry spent a long time at Villa, and it's known he would like to come back (which means he would surely give his all for the Villa cause, if he came here to finish his career)

2) Rosicky is made of glass.

I dont think Barry is motivated by money. You would get more effort from Barry than Ireland and Nzogbia combined. FACT

Yeah i know but he could probably still walk up at some clubs in the Premier League and pick up £50000 a week, if we were interested he's going to be receiving a lot less here.

Our midfield ain't great Mantis, it's nowhere near the level of 10/11 even.

Barry would be a good pick up. Would do well alongside Westwood.

He moved to city, won the league and FA cup plus played CL football. He made the right choice and didn't leave "just for the money" like some claim

Yep. Turned out well for him he didn't go to Liverpool in the end.

Just out of curiosity Woody, do you still think we have the worst ever midfield in the Premier League?

Its not the worst ever. However KEA,Bannan,Delph,Westwood,Sylla,Herd and Gardner is not exactly a great central midfield list is it?

Was my post even read? Where did I say our midfield was great?

Just out of curiosity Woody, do you still think we have the worst ever midfield in the Premier League?

Nope, never have.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you did a few months back.

While having a go at people for what they said in the past maybe you should remember your hilarious prediction from last year that we had as much chance of finishing 6th as we did getting relegated.

On Barry, if the wages were reasonable I see no negative at all.

Wouldn't it be good for Westwood to not have to be relied upon every single game? Wouldn't it be good if we could rotate and not lose quality? Or have good cover for injuries and tiredness? Wouldn't it be good to have serious competition for places? Wouldn't it be good to have a truly great player for our youngsters to learn from?

Edited by Big_John_10

Barry chose Man City against us at a crucial time in our development when we were actually in with a chance of achieving Champions League football ourselves, so, given his choice then, I would much rather that he didn't return to Villa at anytime ever now.

Please explain to me where you see the bitterness in my post?

Given the sentence above it, is that a serious question?

Yes! He chose Man City & if it transpires that they want to dispense  with his services so be it. He made it perfectly clear last time that Villa didn't match his ambitions so why would I want him back now. I am not bitter, but just stating the facts as they were at that time & merely asking the question what is so different about us now that he saw fit to leave us in the first place. We are actually lower in the league now too. So the point I am making is that the reasons Barry made for wanting away in the first place now make it impossible for him to return or am I missing something here?

One thing that hasn't changed in all that time is my love for the Villa. (something that you may be getting confused with bitterness?) I loved the Villa when Barry left & I love them with the same equal passion today.

The fact that the primary reason you don't want Barry back is because of the reasons he moved strikes me as bitterness.

While having a go at people for what they said in the past maybe you should remember your hilarious prediction from last year that we had as much chance of finishing 6th as we did getting relegated.

On Barry, if the wages were reasonable I see no negative at all.

Wouldn't it be good for Westwood to not have to be relied upon every single game? Wouldn't it be good if we could rotate and not lose quality? Or have good cover for injuries and tiredness? Wouldn't it be good to have serious competition for places? Wouldn't it be good to have a truly great player for our youngsters to learn from?

I'm not "having a go" at anyone, and making a prediction is a lot different to making a statement.

Anyway, I could dredge up loads of ridiculous things you've said in the past.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â