Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

It feels to me like both parties might be eyeing a soft exit to the England job at this point. 

Yeah World cup qualifiers don't start until March so FA can afford to sit tight and watch what unfolds. If Carsley wins all his six games convincingly then he'll be a serious contender but there's no rush and I think Howe is gone if they have a poor run in the winter as unfolded last season.

Spurs is a big game for them on Sunday. Comfortably won last season but you can feel the pressure building if they lose that at home as they're not that great away.

• Like 1

If the can keep the defensive injuries down, I think they'll have a decent season as there's no Europe to juggle. They kept Isak, Bruno and have Tonali back

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It feels to me like both parties might be eyeing a soft exit to the England job at this point. 

I genuinely dont get this Eddie Howe getting sacked thing people are expecting. They were one of the form teams end of last season and has had little money to spend 

I dont see Newcastle attracting a big name manager anytime soon

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I genuinely dont get this Eddie Howe getting sacked thing people are expecting. They were one of the form teams end of last season and has had little money to spend 

I dont see Newcastle attracting a big name manager anytime soon

If they're sensible they don't 

There should be a common sense thing where you look at that squad, you look at the other 19 squads in the PL and you can quite clearly see they do not have a top 4 team so why should they have a top 4 expectation, they got there before because they massively punched above their weight, they should be aiming for definitely top 7 flirting with the top 4, same as us

It was the same with smith when it was wheeled out here that we'd spent £200m so should be doing better, we didn't have a top half of the table squad, it was getting unrealistic 

We also won't be sacking unai if we're 6th-8th at Christmas 

Edit - all that said, I hope they panic, sack him, get Gerrard in and Howe gets the England job

Edited by villa4europe

9 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

If the can keep the defensive injuries down, I think they'll have a decent season as there's no Europe to juggle. They kept Isak, Bruno and have Tonali back

The drop off in quality though will bite them hard. A brittle squad if injuries and suspensions hamper them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Everything they’ve done so far has been sensible, to be fair.

I think they got their strategy wrong last summer: Spending 100 million plus on Barnes (whose best position is on the left, same as Gordon), Hall (Howe was reluctant to play him and favoured big Dan Burn at left back), and Livramento (good potential but again, struggled for game time) - all of those felt like signings to add depth/options for the future rather than players that would improve the first eleven. If they'd signed an upgrade for Almiron and a proven left back I think they'd have finished 6th or above. Easy to say all that in hindsight, mind.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I think they got their strategy wrong last summer: Spending 100 million plus on Barnes (whose best position is on the left, same as Gordon), Hall (Howe was reluctant to play him and favoured big Dan Burn at left back), and Livramento (good potential but again, struggled for game time) - all of those felt like signings to add depth/options for the future rather than players that would improve the first eleven. If they'd signed an upgrade for Almiron and a proven left back I think they'd have finished 6th or above. Easy to say all that in hindsight, mind.

Possibly.  The thing that I think fans often overlook is the actual availability of players.  For example; most Villa fans have been saying we need an RB/CB this summer rather than several midfielders, including one which has been immediately loaned out... but maybe the right players just weren't available at the right price?  Then, in some instances, the right players can come along and you go for both (Barnes and Gordon being an example).

On Newcastle, I think they're both good signings as is Livramento.  Hall could be, but I do think that was a scratch-your-back type deal with Chelsea (much as our sale of Kellyman to them).

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â